How illegal is having a pulsed headlight... ?

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

How illegal is having a pulsed headlight... ?

Post by Jug »

Background... I hate it when I see an oncoming car sat waiting to turn across my lane at a junction.
I'm always wondering of they really have seen me or if they are gonna go just as I approach.

I'm tempted to pulse my flash button as I approach them..

As we all should know, in the UK flashing your head light just means "I am here" (highway code).
However... on the street a quick double flash of your headlights is giving another road user permission to pull out, not ideal in this situation.

I'm thinking that if I was to start pulsing my overtake flash button as I approach the junction/car, would that help to alert the driver of my approach. Hopefully multiple/constant flashing is a warning and not permission.
... and if so I could knock up something to do the flashing for me so I just hold the button down whenever I feel the need. 8)
I could also make it alternate between Hi and Low beam but I think that would definitely be getting too close to impersonating the Police.. :mrgreen:

What do you guys think?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: How illegal is having a pulsed headlight... ?

Post by billinom8s »

I think that's dipping into the realms of a strobe light so will get you into trouble. Unless you park in a field and do it. You'll either end up very popular with the doggers or the ravers.

If I'm approaching a junction with that scenario unfolding I'll just slow down and stick main beam on and keep it on. No excuses then.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

If your waiting at​ a junction how many flashes do you count before proceeding. 1. It's a dodgy area your getting into, you know what it means in the real world and might need a psychic to argue the toss afterwards.
Maybe just put the main beam on approaching junctions.
ST4
DRZ400e
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Personally I wouldn't want to be put in the situation.

Yes I know flashing lights are to make people aware you are there bur it's not worth the risk in case someone pulls out on you,

Would much rather just put a brighter headlight bulb in as should create others too see you easier.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Pulsating lights MUST be legal as most cyclists have them. Also showing red, blue and purple lights to the front is so pretty.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Ruffian wrote: Would much rather just put a brighter headlight bulb in as should create others too see you easier.
I think you still get ignored, unless it's a badly fitted HID that is sparkling, in which case you just annoy everyone all the time, especially at night. :mrgreen:

I like Simons idea of just flicking the high beam on, that way there is sudden change in your appearance to draw their attention to you as you approach.

Some orange DRL's might help. I was out with a mate on his new Africa twin and it keeps its indicators on as DRL's. I thought it would look crap but it actually looks pretty good.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

You just have to take each situation on it's merits.

Yesterday I was leading 20 bikes on a complicated route around the Brecons.

I came up behind a car that wished to play silly b*****s. Slowing to walking speed in places, then dashing off as fast as he could, and repeating.

Eventually he started indicating R on a series of S's finally extending his arm out of the R window.

I backed off as we approached a R turning, then started to slip down his near side. I, and all the bikes behind have dipped headlights on. Suddenly he stops short of the junction and flashes a car coming out of it and turning right.

This car just obeys and flops out into our path as if we were invisible.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

Incredibly bad idea I'd say. Instead of flashing (which has the problems you mentioned) I move around a lot on the road. It helps people see you if they haven't and if they have it makes them think you are insane and could do anything so they hesitate and think.

Not crazy swerving but from normal left of lane to normal right of lane in sweeping movements. You are flashing a headlight but without flashing it - movement attracts human attention). If there are cars in front of me I make sure my light is flashing down first the left side of them then the right so I am seen by people joining from both sides. Since doing that I have had far fewer problems (but I still don't go down the inside of a car turning right at more than a few miles an hour more than them just in case as some people can't be trusted to even turn the way they indicate).
BMF
Learner Driver
First Name: Kim

Post by BMF »

I have fitted dual wind tone horns to my bike with something like 130db on tap, it's certainly enough to make other road users look.
Actually alcohol IS a solution
Honda CB600S Hornet
Honda CB1300SA8
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

We have pulsed headlights on our bloodbikes but they can only be used in daylight in conjunction with blue flashing lights that in turn can only be used on an emergency run. Don't think law would look to kindly on them being used outside those areas.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Something like this???...................... Can be added to headlight

https://www.bikevis.com/product/motorcy ... modulator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this......

https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis ... modulator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

add to daytime running lights.
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

Ruffian wrote:
Would much rather just put a brighter headlight bulb in as should create others too see you easier.
There are legal limits on headlight wattage. And there is plenty of evidence that car drivers don't see two wheeled vehicles even when they are looking at them. What happens is they are looking for a vehicle which will harm THEM, not one which they might harm. So they look around the bike looking for a car or truck; they literally can't see you! One of the things I was taught as a driving instructor.
Unfortunately, the fact that a driver appears to be looking straight at you, doesn't mean they SEE you. Something to bear in mind. Of course bikers generally do see other bikes, but some of them are idiots too!
I run yellow headlights for safety (only white and yellow are legal in the UK), as I believe the different colour makes my headlight more noticeable.
BTW, my original word for idiots (tw*ts) was changed to pregnant fishies!
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Learning to drive in a car I was taught the Bristol mantra of, "Dither, indicate, go the other way."
This is similar to the Devon instruction to, "When approach a turning ensure you give no indication of your intent to turn. Do not change position in the road, do not slow down until the last instant and only indicate when halfway through the turn. It is optional to leave the indicator flashing for the rest of your journey."
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

AS I had just moved from Manchester to Plymouth when I started instructing, that is probably why I did it wrong! :)):
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Much like the Bristol bus drivers' manual...

Manoeuvre, indicate, mirror.