Bike Jacking

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Bike Jacking

Post by Jug »

I saw this in a video on youtube (I cut this out of a larger vid).

The guy gets his bike taken whilst at a filling station by another guy with a knife.
Now I know most of think we'd be Chuck Norris if it were to happen to us... that aside, I think once the knife was away I might have had a go anyway. I'd certainly go to push the guy over once he was about to pull away, and once over I'd then lay in with some serious kicks, seems pretty straight forward.
I think I'd rather see my bike on it's side than being ridden away.
If the guy did manage to get up and pull the knife again I could just run away if needs be, no doubt the thief would simply get back on with stealing my bike rather than pursuing me, but to be honest.. if the guy is on the floor, and possibly under your bike he's not going to get up too quickly.

So what do you guys think, was the guy in this vid a pussy?
No doubt he was stunned at what was happening but he actually says "I should push you over" but doesn't do it.

It turned out ok in the end but would you just let someone take your bike that easily?

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9LdrUDjt5g[/BBvideo]
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Re: Bike Jacking

Post by Gimlet »

No way would I have given in as easily as that. If I was wearing leathers and gloves and had my lid on I'd have been tempted to take him on while he had the knife in his hand. Most criminals who carry knives have no idea how to use them. Certainly once the knife had gone and he was faffing about before pulling away I'd have jumped him. He'd never have got off the bike in time. Get him on the ground with the bike on top of him and break his arms.
Don't know where it was (US?) but if somewhere where criminals routinely carry firearms that might explain it.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Yeh, I'm thinking the US.
I'm also thinking that if the thief had a gun then he'd have shown it instead/as well to help intimidate that guy, not that he needed much intimidating. :mrgreen:
Still... he was probably in shock and disbelief at what was happening in front of him.

Like I said, I'm sure in that situation I'd have done something to try and stop the guy. When he was faffing around trying to pull away would have been a prime opportunity.

So.. is this shit happening here, now?
I've read about acid attacks in London, scooter gangs etc.
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

Its epidemic in London and spreading fast. Getting very bad in Bristol now. Its only a matter of time before people start arming themselves and someone is killed - hopefully the thief.

The thief in the vid may not have been alone. You don't hang around petrol stations with a helmet on waiting for a bike to come along you can nick. He may have been dropped off by another bike that was standing by. Or he may have been off his head
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
r1dave
Learner Driver
First Name: dave

Post by r1dave »

All for having a go but you have to think is your life worth a few grand he could have mates lurking around and can come up behind and do damage. its fully comp that's why you pay insurance it will be on cctv so you will be covered then let the police do there job :))
mike69
Learner Driver

Post by mike69 »

Looks a bit like poor acting to me the thief would have waited until he had filled up with fuel before stealing it. Seemed very convenient it then stops 100yds up the road presumably out of fuel but if it did I don't think the thief put it on the prop stand I'm sure he would throw it down in disgust.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

mike69 wrote:Looks a bit like poor acting to me the thief would have waited until he had filled up with fuel before stealing it. Seemed very convenient it then stops 100yds up the road presumably out of fuel but if it did I don't think the thief put it on the prop stand I'm sure he would throw it down in disgust.
Yeh, these things crossed my mind too.
Like, if I was stealing the bike and it ran out of fuel then I might try to hide it somewhere so it can be recovered later, not just abandon it where it's likely to be seen by the legal owner.
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Seems a bit staged to me, not usually one guy on his own and why didn't the owner go straight to the cashier and begin to ask about calling cops, cctv even just to say 'help' or did you see that? etc. Instead he goes off walking in the direction of where the bike headed. Given the situation I like to think I would do everything to get the guy off my bike, once knife is in pocket whats the guy going to do? The more I think about it the more I think its staged just for internet hits to a guys page.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Yup, I found the guys youtube page and that orginal clip.. lots of hate in the comments from people claiming it's staged but the guy never admits it. I'm now pretty sure it was just clickbait, how sad is that... /:)
There seems to have been a spate of Vloggers staging these but most come out and admit it.