Bloody hate electrics.....

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Bloody hate electrics.....

Post by badgerKDD »

So four weeks off the road, finally sourced the problem to a intermittent poor contact on one single live feed.......AAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG BLOODY HATE BIKE ELECTRICS!!!!
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Bloody hate electrics.....

Post by Jug »

It's not just bikes mate. I made some custom LED DRL/indicators for my van and they've been great for a few years but have just started to play up on one side. Twice now I've found the fault and fixed the fault only for it to come back again a few months later, and it's just come back again now.... 3rd time...
The route cause of these faults has been corroded crimp terminals, so I'm now converting all the wiring joints to solder and heat shrink.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Yup those blue and red terminal things do not last , I always use the original style Japanese connectors on bikes now , and shrinkfit connectors on wire joins on the trucks , Vehicle wiring products are good for connnectors
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

Still got an assortment box of jap fittings from vehicle wiring products which I bought 25 years ago when I rewired an XS 400 (it was a good idea at the time. I was only young..)
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

well better than an xs250 i reckon , prefer the old screaming smoking rd,s meself
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

It was this:

Started life as a plain XS roadster with the red and white coffin tank. First bike after passing my test. Kept it as a work hack then it broke a valve guide. Took the engine out and sent the head to be fixed and while I was waiting thought I'd do a bit of a refresh. Rebuilt the top end, repainted the head and barrels and the engine cases then thought that's too good to go back in that ratty chassis. And it went on from there.....
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

Gimlet wrote:Still got an assortment box of jap fittings from vehicle wiring products which I bought 25 years ago
They do seem to hang about, don't they? But only 20 years in my case.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

still use it when required. There were stacks of fittings in there when I bought it and I've topped up the bullet fittings. Bought one of their crimping tools as well. Overall it was money well spent. Even the plastic case it all came in has lasted well.

I've still got a load of the stainless fasteners left I used when i built the XS. Bought a large mixed bucket from Mr Fastener I think it was. It was £50 at the time which was a lot of dosh. Hate to think what it would cost now.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Well you'll all be glad to know, at 23 years old, the old girl has started getting temperamental about the weather. Was running fine for a few days, then the weather turned wet and cold and she runs like shit. Thought it might be weak battery or damp plugs, but being wayyy to busy I left it until Saturday ( yesterday 23rd ) to take a look and maybe buy some new plugs etc. Of course tried a test fire just to check how she was sounding, SOUNDED FINE!!. Oh of course the sun was out and it was dry.........

I've got a shed being made at the moment so hoping it will be up next weekend which may help, but I'm getting mighty fed up at the moment.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Coil?
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure