Brake pads.

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Brake pads.

Post by awkwardbydesign »

I use Bendix MRR race pads on my SV650 (I fitted GSXR 600 calipers to have more choice of pads), but after almost using them up on trackdays, I decided to use up some EBC (HH, I think) pads I had in the box.
Blimey! Even with 4 fingers I have trouble stopping quickly, where I never needed more than 2 fingers to stand the bike on its nose with the Bendix pads.
Has anyone else had this kind of experience with EBCs?
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Brake pads.

Post by billinom8s »

Not me.
I use brembo.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Post by pieeater »

Probably take a little while for the new pads to bed in, until they do they won't be making 100% contact with the disks so won't offer as much stopping power.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Don't use them myself. But have heard of bedding in issues in cold weather from a few people.
I'd suggest that you bed them in hard 50 to 20mph several times, before you need them.
ST4
DRZ400e
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

I went out for a 4 hour ride with Plymouth Bikers on Sunday and they didn't improve. I guess I have been spoilt by the Bendix pads!
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

I use Bendix MRR in my KTMs. Can't fault them. Work straight out of the box and offer good feel and progressive bite making them very predictable. can't see no reason to change TBH.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I had a similar experience with the EBC pads just found that they did not have any bite. I swapped over to Hel pads that were totally amazing and I was out braking everything with stock master cylinder and calipers just braided lines.

I have put Benidix pads in my road bike and got to say they are good but not as good as the Hel pads.

Will not be going back to EBC in a hurry though.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

menzies3032 wrote:I had a similar experience with the EBC pads just found that they did not have any bite. I swapped over to Hel pads that were totally amazing and I was out braking everything with stock master cylinder and calipers just braided lines.

I have put Benidix pads in my road bike and got to say they are good but not as good as the Hel pads.

Will not be going back to EBC in a hurry though.
Never tried Hel. But which Bendix pads did you try? I think they do 3 or 4 types.
Devon jeff
Learner Driver
First Name: Jeff

Post by Devon jeff »

best pads for track or race use on a budget will be Bendix carbon compound, or SBS dual carbon, but these take a few corners to come to temp because of the carbon content, these also work in the wet but a little harder to get heat into them, EBC disc are also pretty good as a matching set to the carbon pads due to the high iron content they use in the disc, I have used the SBS carbon pads for the last 2 seasons road racing, you will not get the ultimate stopping power of the carbon in the metal sintered pad (MRR). if you swap from carbon to sintered pad, you will have to emery paper the discs to remove the carbon film from the disc!!!
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

That's useful information. I must say, though, that the MRRs give enough power and feel for my needs. If I was a faster rider, or the bike was faster, the carbons might be better. But I'm not , and it isn't. :)):