A sad day for DAAT ....

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

A sad day for DAAT ....

Post by TLS-Moose »

A sad incident at this year's DAAT rideout today - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.devo ... 788434.amp

So sad. Thoughts go out to all those involved/affected, and hope those injured make a full recovery.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Re: A sad day for DAAT ....

Post by menzies3032 »

OMG......
Clearly thoughts and feelings go out to families involved ^#(^

That said if there was ever a reason to highlight the importance of the Air Amberlance Sevice this has surly got to be it.

Very very sad news for what was obviously a positive day and experience for others involved.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

I don't know what the "profit" from the rideout would be, but the cost of two air ambulances, three road ambulances, a fast response paramedic, plus the police etc. would probably somewhat negate it.

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Must say thought did cross my mind.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

A sad day for DAAT indeed, and for all those involved of course. Independant of the DAAT rideout, I was out for a bike ride on Sunday with a pal, and at about the time this RTA happened - 1130 hrs - ish, we passed a DAAT rideout checkpoint at Whiddon Down, and another one at the junction of the A30 and A386 Tavistock road shortly after. The news didn't appear to have reached the checkpoint people at that time. First I heard was when I had a text from Shooey later that p.m.

Was anyone from SWB on this run? Does anyone know what happened? Might be lessons to be learned from it.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

In the Devon Live report (never overly reliable) a witness report suggests two separate accidents a short distance apart on the outskirts of Hatherleigh (Okey side).

Not seen or heard anything else.

Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

That's awful news...… :(
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Reports i read suggested one accident was caused by Triumph Rocket rider (deceased) overcooking a bend and coming off then the 2 other bikes hitting it , but someone on the ride said that one bike was a 1/4 mile from the main accident when they passed , it happened on the A386 between Hatherleigh and Folly Gate
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

TLS-Moose wrote: Jul 16th, '18, 14:44 In the Devon Live report (never overly reliable) a witness report suggests two separate accidents a short distance apart on the outskirts of Hatherleigh (Okey side).

Not seen or heard anything else.
That ties in with Mervin's report.
The accident got all of ten seconds exposure on the BBC Westcountry TV tonight at 1830 hrs tonight.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

Parents said they named the deceased ..... A North Devon person?

Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

I heard the name on radio devon it was an 57 year old Exeter man called Nigel Charner

https://www.devonlive.com/news/nigel-ch ... ke-1795360

He said: “Around 500 bikes left Trago so everyone was going along at around 40mph because there were so many of us, and it is known for being quite a slow ride.

“The incident happened way up ahead in front of me. I think I rode past it very shortly after it happened because no emergency services had arrived yet. I saw a woman sitting in the middle of the road with people around her.

“I think two bikes then got in a tangle half mile further up because one man was lying on the verge, and two were in the road.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
The Muppet
Learner Driver
First Name: Mandy

Post by The Muppet »

What a sad day for the DAAT .I have always done the run , and can say that not everyone goes at 40mph . confused at the devolve report that there was to groups , one leaving Trago and another in North Devon .
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

Yes there was 2 groups , one group started in Evans transport yard in Bideford the other from Newton Abbot Trago
Hunter S Thompson