Classic Motorcycle status

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Classic Motorcycle status

Post by billinom8s »

How old does a bike have to be to qualify for this and what are the perks?

Does anyone know?

Thanks
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Re: Classic Motorcycle status

Post by Mervin »

You do not need to MOT it or pay for tax , it has to be 40 years old , at present that means built before 31st december 1977 but they will accept vehicles registered before 7th January 1978 where built before 31st December 1977, fill out the V5 to change taxation class to historic vehicle class, and form V112 to prove your vehicle is exempt from MOT https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-from-mot take it to a post office with your tax reminder if you have one , you then pay nothing they send it off and you get a new V5 back and never pay tax again

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

40 years!

I did read it was 25 and then it was 30, they just keep extending it don't they.

Cheers Mervin
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

It was 1962 i think up until last april , 25/30 yearold have never been tax / mot free you may get classic insurance on that age
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Mervin wrote: Nov 10th, '18, 11:36 It was 1962 i think up until last april , 25/30 yearold have never been tax / mot free you may get classic insurance on that age
For as long as I can remember, 1972 for no tax, then changed to 40 years for no tax about 3 years ago. The no mot for 40 year old vehicles was added more recently.
Vehicles just happened to be 25 years old when the year 1972 was set.
1997 was when the first tax free vehicle were allowed, and were called "Historic vehicles" by the tax man as already stated by Mervin.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

There is a difference between "classic" and "historic".

The former is used by insurance companies, and is generally for vehicles 20+ years old. Usually allows agreed values and cheaper premiums but lower annual mileage thresholds.

The latter is used by the DVLA for vehicle tax & MOT exemption and is for vehicles over 40yrs old on a rolling basis. Although exempt from MOT testing, such vehicles still need to be roadworthy, and not contravene construction and use regulations appropriate to the construction date of the machine. Vehicles must remain fundamentally standard manufacturers specification to qualify for MOT exemption. Vehicles with different motors, altered suspension, chassis, etc., will still be required to undergo annual not tests.
Both tax & MOT exemption have to be applied for. You cannot just assume because it is over 40 you will be ok - if caught using a vehicle in such circumstances you will be treated as anyone else using an untaxed or MOT'd vehicle on the public highway.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I can't see why the old nails don't need an MOT? Granted many are cherished and rebuilt/restored to a very high standard but a lot are left with what is euphemistically called "age related patina" and together with the inherent old technology are very dodgy for use on the road. Same goes for older riders, us greybeards should be MOTed for roadworthiness too :wink:

And , no, a cloth cap or pudding basin is not adequate headgear.......though pipe and slippers can be quite fetching on the old flat tank :mrgreen:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

ptolemyx wrote: Nov 13th, '18, 06:43 I can't see why the old nails don't need an MOT? Granted many are cherished and rebuilt/restored to a very high standard but a lot are left with what is euphemistically called "age related patina" and together with the inherent old technology are very dodgy for use on the road. Same goes for older riders, us greybeards should be MOTed for roadworthiness too :wink:

And , no, a cloth cap or pudding basin is not adequate headgear.......though pipe and slippers can be quite fetching on the old flat tank :mrgreen:
you do every 5 years if you have a HGV license
Hunter S Thompson