Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Rob4
Learner Driver
First Name: Rob

Naked twins, triples or inline 4s...

Post by Rob4 »

Hi all,

Looking for some reviews & reccomendation of any naked twins, triples or inlines 4. Had some knee surgery this summer & now unfortunately the gsxr isn't the most comfortable to be on anymore, so looking for something more friendly/forgiving position wise. Have tried a superduke 990 & speed triple, both of which are on the list of potential next bikes, but also interested in the MT09/10 or the Z900/1000. Any knowledge would appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Rob
wildstar
Learner Driver
First Name: ian

Re: Naked twins, triples or inline 4s...

Post by wildstar »

I swapped in my FJR for a Z900RS and found it so light to throw around in traffic and manouvering in car parks etc,I do miss the fairing on the FJR though but wouldnt go back to be honest
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

990 SDR all the way
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

HI Rob

Being a Gixxer fan clearly I cant speak from personal experience. However there is a member on this forum that I helped to get biking again after an accident 20 years ago. He also damaged his knee and therefore needs something that gives him room and is not requiring a cramped position. Unless your planning on going for something with mega room and a different riding experience (ie adventure bike like a BMW GS) then i think you might have already tried the best bike which is a Superduke 990 as the bike is very tall and give you a great riding position. If your looking to go for a street bike I think you will find the Z1000 (4 cylinder) gives you more room then the triple (3 cylinder) but the Superduke (2 cylinder) should give you the most. All three bikes do ride very differently but are all fantastic bikes.

What kind of riding do you do? Would an adventure bike be an option? If so they are a lot taller so should help the knee and you will have lots of choice at a cheaper budget then the sports bike world.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Rob4
Learner Driver

Post by Rob4 »

The duke was a hell of a lot of fun and would definitely suit the kind of riding I do, which is purely for enjoyment. Just normally weekend morning riding and rttb 2019 hopefully. Planning to do a bike trip abroad next summer, so will be covering a fair few miles so comfort is necessary but also something that'll make those mines fun and interesting.
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

I've got a z1000 (2011). I find it comfortable, but my problem is shoulder & wrist, if you're problem is knees u might find it a little cramped you would have to try it. But it goes well. Suspension was a little harsh until i replaced the rear shock but I'm only 10st. It's good fun to ride. Well geared. Top end is a usable 150. From off to on throttle can be a bit jerky but i got used to it and don't find it a problem. It is a good 200kg but feels light compared to my previous zx9r. Typical kawa engine. Check that rectifier connection plug is clean and covered as it is exposed. Used daily on road and about 4 track days a year, it's better on shorter tracks. Gets out of corners well. My alternator went at about 35k miles but easy swap out.
Hope the above helps cheers Mike.
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

MT10 is pretty tall. Don't worry about your knee, it's your arse you should be concerned about. Half an hour in the saddle is enough for me but I invested in a seat mod to sort it out.
Running on MT
Rob4
Learner Driver

Post by Rob4 »

Cheers Mike, may have to give a Z1000 a test one day. I'm pretty used to having arms and wrists cramping up on the gixxer.
Have read MT10s can be uncomfortable seat wise but yeah just get a mod and you're away
Definitely need to get some test rides arranged once the weather starts being less shit of a weekend.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I had a right knee replacement not too long ago. Left knee and hips still full of Arthur Itis and both feet/ankles gammy after past injuries. Busa and B-King both fine(ish) for all day riding if you're willing to consider big brutal Bazuki torque monsters. You do need longer than average arms to be comfy on the Busa though.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

If its an in line four try a beemer xr 1000 like mine, or the s1000r naked version.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

MT09 tracer maybe, looks a fun bike.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

+1 for the SD being roomy. I've smashed my knee a couple of times & found the SD really comfy (knee-wise).

Did try a friends Z1000 but found the footrest was slightly less rear-set & was cramped for me.

Also consider the FZ1 N (naked) or Fazer, I gave mine a little more room by swapping the rubber topped foot rests for R1 items.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Naked twins ?? had me thinking of a couple of twin girls i went to school with ,never saw them naked though ,
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

not in reality
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Shame you weren’t looking recently, I had a tidy 990 SuperDuke up for sale. Excellent bike; punchy, fun, ace brakes, steers like a 250, top hooligan bike, stand out from the crowd of blanderama Japanese stuff. Even better is the 1290 SDR, but they're still silly money....
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever