Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

FYI - M48 Severn Bridge (Old).

Post by MellowYellow »

Response from Highways England

In short the legislation limits motor cycles up to 50cc, however we tolerate the use of the cycle path to facilitate customers crossing M48 Severn Bridge on bikes up to 125cc.

Essentially the legislation is outdated and we are looking to work with DfT to undertake a refresh and tidy up of all the legislation relating to the Severn Bridges once they become owned by Highways England in April 2020. There are a number of changes we need to make following the ceasing of tolling (and silly things like only the M48 westbound cycle path being designated as a cycle path – the eastbound is still designated as a footpath!) and we plan to incorporate a change to 125cc bikes as part of this work.

Given the vital link that the M48 provides to communities and businesses between South Wales, Forest of Dean and England, our position is that it is in the public interest to tolerate the use of the cycle path by bikes up to 125cc until we can make the necessary legislative changes. I have included the relevant legal stuff below in case you need it:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Severn Bridge Regulations 1993, Regulation 14 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1993 ... on/14/made

Use of cycleway and footway

14.—(1) In this regulation “authorised traffic”, in relation to the cycleway, means traffic of classes VII, X and XI (as specified in Schedule 4 to the Highways Act 1980(1)) and, in relation to the footway, means traffic of class IX (as specified in that Schedule) and “excluded traffic” in relation to either the cycleway or the footway means traffic which is not authorised traffic

Highways Act 1980 Schedule 4 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/schedule/4

Class VII: Pedal cycles.

Class X: Motor cycles whereof the cylinder capacity of the engine is less than 50 cubic centimetres.

Class XI: Invalid carriages.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Re: FYI - M48 Severn Bridge (Old).

Post by MellowYellow »

There is also the dichotomy of one side being legally a cycle path and the other a foot path.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Re: FYI - M48 Severn Bridge (Old).

Post by Smiler »

lol! I doubt the BMW GS I saw on the cycle path at the weekend was within the 50cc rule 😂
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand