See you in week :-)

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

See you in week :-)

Post by Jug »

I'm all packed and ready for an early start tomorrow, well.... early for me. :)):

Catching the ferry from Fishgaurd over to Rosslare for a week touring SW Ireland.
Fingers crossed the weather improves. :ympray:
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: See you in week :-)

Post by billinom8s »

Have fun, take plenty of pics
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Enjoy, have a great trip
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Where's the wife going to sit then?
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Haven't got one so no need of a seat. :-)

On the ferry now having a beer.
Blender81
Learner Driver
First Name: Ben

Post by Blender81 »

Hope you have a good one 👍
APRILIA RSV gen1....Bbrrrraaaaaaappppp
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

So... I'm back from my Ireland trip.

Got back Saturday night rather than Sunday as planned. The plan was to get the afternoon ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then camp in Snowdonia, then on the Sunday meander down through Wales to take in the scenery. What actually happened is various issues culminated in me & my buddy deciding that we’d had enough of camping for one week so rode straight home instead.

The problem here is that our plan was less than ideal for that. Ferry got in at 18:20 but it wasn’t until 19:00 that’s we’d cleared the chaos of ferry disembarkment and were on local roads. :(
So, as the great man once said (or would have if he was on our trip) “There's 287 miles to Chard, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses”.

We took the A55/A5 down through Wales as we still wanted to see some of Snowdonia and sample those lovely roads whilst it was light, but also just avoid M/ways as much as possible. We did however want to be on the M5 before it was dark, so time was against us. We made good progress over to Worcester and as darkness fell we jumped on to the M5 and let the mind numbing begin. One stop for food & coffee and I got home just before 1 am. I was pretty tired but not as much as I was expecting to be. The 1190 Adv is a great bike for this sort of thing. It soaked up the piss poor back roads of southern Ireland, felt like a sports bike on the faster twisty stuff and chewed up the miles on the motorway. Also having an intercom playing music helped pass the time.

Ireland was great, stunning scenery and some very good roads, also some piss poor roads, an adventure bike is a pretty good choice for what is there, though a 1200 is overkill, but I do like overkill…
We didn’t see too many sports bikes whilst there, a few nakeds, some tourers and even some Harleys and Goldwings, but on the whole not too many bikes. I would class SW Ireland in general as a lower speed biking holiday, not like the Alps for example. The weather was kind, some light rain during the day but nothing too serious, just chuck the waterproofs on at the first sight of rain and 30 mins later it's dry again. There was occasional rain over night, and twice it was full on torrential for hours but for the most part it was dry when setting up or breaking camp, tent was mostly wet though which makes it a little more unpleasant. So in general we were spared and by the sounds of it the weather was much worse here. :)):

Six of us in total but due to doing different things we split into two groups and rode slightly different routes.

So the trip... caught the ferry into Rosslare and rode to a campsite at Clogneen.
Next morning we headed south through the Vee pass over a small mountian and then dropped down to the coast via Cork.
We then headed west following the Wild Atlantic Way and eventually headed north up to Killarney, which would be our base for 4 days.
From Killarney we did day trips to explore most of the peninsulas to the west, did the Ring of Kerry and various passes, all good stuff.
We then headed up the coast towards Galway but turned and headed back across Ireland before getting to Galway.
Next area of interest was the Wicklow national park, the mountains were spectacular.
...and that was it more or less.
Full trip distance - 1626 miles.

Here a short highlights vid from one of our group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B79OB2v8MfM
chr1s
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by chr1s »

Sounds like you had an awesome trip Richard and got lucky with the ole weather!! Cheers for the write up :-bd
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Amazing sounding trip, love the video editing. Really should learn how to use mine.
Looking forward to my trip over there with Mandy (The Muppet) in September...
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Top write up, many thanks for including us in your trip, nice to know Ireland can be as relaxing as it sounds.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Good write up Richard, made enjoyable reading.
Thanks for sharing the experience..
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Looks like you had a good time Rich loved the video some great scenery over there very tempted..
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso