XR1000 / Tiger 800

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

XR1000 / Tiger 800

Post by Red5 »

OK, it might be happening, Red5 might almost nearly be nearly thinking he could nearly almost be looking at getting a grown up bike :ymdevil:

Have done an amount of Google research, reviews etc.
Not everybody's cups of tea and they're 2 completely different bikes but am asking for people's experiences please of either the Triumph tiger 800 and the BMW XR 1000.
Please can we avoid the "it's crap" or "it's bloody great" one liners. Any constructive advice and experiences of either bike greatly received.
Thanks.
\m/ :-bd
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: XR1000 / Tiger 800

Post by Ruffian »

Well I'm sure goat pants will comment as he had a tiger,

But Steve had a xr for a short amount of time and said it was nuts, BMW rr engine and frame just with slightly different geometry. Why have you limited it too those two bikes??
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I can’t comment on the bikes themselves Nick but what I would say is for the type of riding your now doing which could be the normal Sunday hack but I am seeing you do more of the long distance travel and touring this would be so much more comfortable and got to be a nicer experience then the 675 Daytona
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Why the baby triumph, but big bimmer? Why not a tiger 1200? Or the GS800?

Or a Multistrada? Or Turismo Veloce?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Red5
SWB Subscriber
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Test riding later this week but just like those 2. Rode a Multi and not overly keen on the twin.
Have found a decent XR from Ocean, we'll see...
Might test ride and decide neither 😂😎
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I think the big V-twins are very marmite.
If you're more use to revy bikes then the triples or IL4's will likely suit you better.

Only bad I have heard said about the XR is that at motorway speeds it can be viby through the pegs & maybe the bars, but that can be very subjective.
I have suffered from tingling fingers the most from my Vstrom 650, which is one the smoothest V-twins out there. My SD990 has done it to me occasionally but the 1190 Adventure hasn't so far.

Tiger 800 - my mate had one and complained about the gearing, he said it was geared too high, meaning it rev'd high when cruising and that got annoying. I suggested changing the front sprocket but he said that can cause gearbox issues. No idea if this BS but something to maybe look into.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Oh, and look into what people on the forums are doing about screen mods.
I can almost guarantee that the standard screen will not work well. It'll either buffet your head around and/or just be very noisy with the wind blast.
It took a while to get both my Vstrom and now my 1190 to work well as I have a very low tolerance for wind noise.

When I first got the 1190 it had a low "sport" screen on and it felt like someone was literally pushing my head from side to side at about once a second when doing 80. The standard height screen was better but at higher speeds caused so much helmet vibration that it actually impairs your vision.

See if you can test for that on your test rides too.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Red5
SWB Subscriber

Post by Red5 »

Ruffian wrote: Aug 19th, '19, 21:13 Well I'm sure goat pants will comment as he had a tiger,

But Steve had a xr for a short amount of time and said it was nuts, BMW rr engine and frame just with slightly different geometry. Why have you limited it too those two bikes??
Kind of liked the adventure bikes but feel the GS's are too common, probably be ause they're great machines but all a bit clichéd. Not so keen on the others out there. But then I saw the XR and having ridden a naked r, I thought it might be a goer. I'm hardly going to use any bike to its full potential but do feel the tiger will be a bit too like a land rover, while not full spec range rover, it'll still be all clean and shiny and never see the mud😂😂
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Just get a ZZR 1400. Than you can keep up with the rest of us :D .
Joking aside, out of all the beemers, it's the new BMW R1250R or R1250RS that I fancy :) :) .
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

I'd steer clear of a Tiger 800, having seen you ride. I had the roadie version for 3 years before the 1190 and the engine's smooth but not that grunty, the brakes aren't very sharp even with SBS pads and it runs out of ground clearance quickly. I wore both hero blobs down to the point the footrest was next and then the sidestand mount dug in on a French roundabout and nearly put me in a hedge. You certainly wouldn't take it on a trackday. Not that fuel efficient and expensive servicing. 6k small service is okay but needs a valve check every 12k and that's over £500 at a dealer.
The 1050 Tiger Sport (from 2015) is slightly better but I found it vibey.
I may be biased, but if you want one bike that does everything from trackdays to touring and is pretty cheap to run, the KTM 1190 adventure is what I'd go for.
They start at about 6k. That's closer in performance to the XR but without the vibes and cheaper.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
Red5
SWB Subscriber

Post by Red5 »

Ming wrote: Aug 20th, '19, 13:57 I'd steer clear of a Tiger 800, having seen you ride. I had the roadie version for 3 years before the 1190 and the engine's smooth but not that grunty, the brakes aren't very sharp even with SBS pads and it runs out of ground clearance quickly. I wore both hero blobs down to the point the footrest was next and then the sidestand mount dug in on a French roundabout and nearly put me in a hedge. You certainly wouldn't take it on a trackday. Not that fuel efficient and expensive servicing. 6k small service is okay but needs a valve check every 12k and that's over £500 at a dealer.
The 1050 Tiger Sport (from 2015) is slightly better but I found it vibey.
I may be biased, but if you want one bike that does everything from trackdays to touring and is pretty cheap to run, the KTM 1190 adventure is what I'd go for.
They start at about 6k. That's closer in performance to the XR but without the vibes and cheaper.
Twin though, right? Oddly, the KTM just doesn't grab me. I tried a 990 the other week and admittedly for shits n giggles it's on the money but just unsure of the twin... :?
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Ahh, okay - I see you're still not convinced by the V twin configuration. I had a 950 and have ridden the 990 and can tell you the 1190 and 1290 are completely different beasts.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

Quite agree , the 1290 is certainly a beast.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

1290 gt,
Mt10 tracer,
Mt09 tracer,
BMW s1000 xr
Kawasaki zx1000sx,
Triumph speed triple (just with a bigger screen)

Your spoilt for choice nick,
I know fozz was speaking highly of his xr,
The mt10 is fun regardless,
The speed triple is absolutely brilliant swiss army knife.

It all depends on what your thinking you want.
Even the smaller bikes (650 ninja, Honda 750)
Are more than capable.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

As Andy says i think you will tire of a Tiger 800 very quickly.I also owned one suspension needs sorting as pegs touch down to easily.It also runs out of puff,fun riding on the stop though :D .