3d printing

Talk about anything...

Moderator: Staff

Mr Moo
Learner Driver

3d printing

Post by Mr Moo »

Hello All,

So, a major birthday this year saw the arrival of a 3D printer to the toy cupboard...
I'm still really getting to my feet with this tech but it is fairly amazing. So far I am still kinda printing tests to get the whole understanding of all the variables and there are lots of those!!! Also solidworks is taking some time to get to grips with. It's all a learning process and that takes time, a commodity i am sadly very short of :(
Just to whet some appetites here are a few pics...

The tree frogs and the lizards/newts are printed in PLA at 50 microns resolution.. Seriously cool to watch but it does take some time! Each frog is around 3 1/2 hours !
The MLP cookie cutter, batarang, charge stand for my e-pipe and the filament spools at done at 200 micron also in PLA.
And I've just laid my sticky mitts on some carbon fibre and a hardened nozzle, as its so abrasive it will destroy the brass ones in very short order.

ATB
Moo
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: 3d printing

Post by Ruffian »

How epic and awesome is that.

I had been looking at them but wouldn't have the patience to learn abut it.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Mr Moo
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Moo »

It is a massive subject when you get into it. Lots of things can be changed and when you alter one thing it can change other things too :/ even down to whose filament you use, temperature and humidity.
But yes it is rather cool 8) :)):
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Is just me or is there a lizard & frog/toad thing going here
I'm a bit jealous that looks a great bit of kit must great seeing it slowly build up
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Mr Moo
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Moo »

haha, yeah there is. I use them as test prints. Also helps that SWMBO likes them ;) ;)
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

The temperature thing is a real pain but it is good fun when it works. I wanted to make a custom bit for the bike (they print in ABS amongst other plastics) but I didn't have the patience to learn the design software.