URGEANT HELP NEEDED PC PROBLEMS

Got a problem? Ask away... for issues about this website please goto the Subscribers area.

Moderator: Staff

speedy(delboy)
Learner Driver

URGEANT HELP NEEDED PC PROBLEMS

Post by speedy(delboy) »

My PC will just turn itself off on average 6 - 10 times a day and it is now getting on my Titties.

If I am working on something I have then lost it.

No warnings or anything, it just turns off and re-starts itself.

There are no loose wires or anything like that so must be a software problem

CAN ANYONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.
tman
Learner Driver

Re: URGEANT HELP NEEDED PC PROBLEMS

Post by tman »

Sounds like its overheating. Open it up and give it a gentle hoover out to remove the dust and fluff.

it could be a fan problem if you dont see much dust in there.
Hope this helps you
[i]Everything isn't meant to be ok[/i]
[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/blackburbstayup/sig_P1020370-1.jpg[/img]
Johnnyb
Learner Driver

Post by Johnnyb »

I would hazard a guess that it is either overheating as suggested in which case just take the side of it and see if things improve (and they should if thats the case) or it could well be the power supply on its way out and the answer there is to swap out the power supply with one that works ok from another PC. Yet another option is the memory starting to fail but a fairly easy thing to test and that is to download this programme http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and run it, you may have to run a couple side by side depending how much RAM you have in there but i recently had some failing ram and as soon as i fired this test up within minutes the PC had shut down, but its better to run it for an hour or two to let it stress the ram thoroughly. Tell us your specs m8 just to find out if its fairly new or a few years old but try taking the side off first, its the cheapest option :)
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

we had one that did that replaced power supply fitted new cooling fan and heatsink (after it started to smoke one night cos fan had completely failed ) computer mechanic had it for a week ok for a few months replaced its me with XP bigger hard drive running with cover off improved things but not much finally cured it by going onto ebay and getting a ex demo hp comp too replace it for about £260
merv
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Right click on you 'My Computer' icon and click Manage. Open the Event Viewer option and select system.

Have a look in there to see if there is something obvious.

I could be a number of things, graphics card not configured properly, memory faulty, even if the gunk around the CPU has gone dodgy this can happen.

Been having trouble with a computer at work and it turned out it was mobile phones causing it to shut down.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0071088233
JohnBob
Learner Driver

Post by JohnBob »

I've had this problem, and it seems like it's going to be expensive. But it turned out to be overheating, as has been said- take the lid off (or however you get to the guts), and hoover it out, especially around heatsinks and fans. Also you could look at adding an extra fan in there- & there should be an inlet and outlet otherwise you just blow the hotair back onto the boards.

With my previous computer this happened from new, and the remedy was to leave the case off entirely.. and it ran beautifully (not really ideal though),
[b]"When theres a doubt, there is no doubt."[/b]
Johnnyb
Learner Driver

Post by Johnnyb »

A lot of it depends on if its a Dell or one of the PC world/Comet/Currys pile of crap that they kick out or one from somewhere else as a lot of these previously mentioned ones dont leave a lot of options for adding extra cooling, in fact they go as far as they can to make sure they are not upgradeable so you have to buy a new one in a few years time, its only been the last couple of years that manufacturers are making the effort to provide decent cases with good ventilation and airflow instead of the beige boxes that used to be the norm with everything crammed in. Would be careful going the hoovering route though, its sooo easy to knock of something important with the nozzle and then your motherboard is knackered, much better to use a paint brush to get in all the nooks and crannies, even whipped mine down sainsburys once to use their airline with a football adaptor on the end, worked a treat :)