Email notifications?

Got a problem? Ask away... for issues about this website please goto the Subscribers area.

Moderator: Staff

dan90210
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Email notifications?

Post by dan90210 »

Is it possible on this forum?
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Re: Email notifications?

Post by Smiler »

yup!

go to

Use control panel - board preferences - posting default settings and tick "yes please, I want to get a lovely little email whenever someone replies in a thread I have posted in" (or something like that! :mrgreen: )

wow, this has to be a first...Smiler helping a fellow SWBer on a matter of techygeek stuff.....need a lie down now... =))
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
skippy
SWB Subscriber

Post by skippy »

Tell me more, tell me more.....because of work and a world war 2 phone, I always miss some posts......can I get an email alert on my phone? :o
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

if your phone can accecpt emails then of course you can!!! Either set you email address on SWB to you phones email address or forward you mail to your phone!! Ive got a blackberry and have 5 different email address set up on it!
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

ok, here goes..

User control panel - profile - account settings....then replace the email address existing to one you use from/for your phone! ta da!!!! Notifications all day long to distract you from anything reasonably important =))

[I'm on a roll...gimme another, quick :)) ]
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
skippy
SWB Subscriber

Post by skippy »

when you say replace your email address, ive only got 1 email address, ive not got one to replace it with!!! :?
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

IS this a wind up lol

You need to get a phone that is email capable, then change your email address on here , as the esteemed smiler has just explained, to that of the email address on your new shiny phone, or set up your new shiny phone to recieve emails from your existing email address. Im sure when we meet up I can show you how!
silvertonkate
Learner Driver
First Name: Kate

Post by silvertonkate »

I tried to edit my preferences and just got an error message...! :-\
Free with every motorbike: you.

PLEASE VISIT MY FACEBOOK PAGE
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nutshell ... 1961029125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dan90210
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by dan90210 »

Thanks for your answers ladies and gents. In that case mine is throwing up an error. Can someone look into for me?

Maybe its me...! :D
skippy
SWB Subscriber

Post by skippy »

No bullet its not a wind up, ive got a nokia c3.....I can access the internet on it although it takes ages to load.

I will have ago tomorrow to set it up, but might come back to you if I need help. :oops:
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Not sure if the C3 recieves email notifications. The only phone out there that gets instant emails is the blackberry thorugh is rim software. Other phones like the Iphone recive emails but ont instantly. Im pretty sure uoi can set them to check your email accounts every 15 minutes or so.
I suspect that your C3 connects to internet but thats about it. You would either have to check the forum or your email account manually or get another phone that can recieve emails!

Not an expert on it but sure there is someone on here that is!!
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

sql error ....server related
Running on MT
Rowland
Learner Driver
First Name: Rowland

Post by Rowland »

afraid I'm still awaiting to be granted connectivity to the mysql server and some other key areas of our site so can't assist much, seems there are still some things in life slower than my cornering :D :D :D

In respect of Mobile Email ( for those with mobiles of limited capability ) if you are using Microsoft Outlook to receive emails on your home pc etc you can setup in the options a route to pass your email out to your phone via SMS ( Outlook Mobile Service ). Providers are available for uk networks.

Email to SMS can work out expensive so in an ideal world you only want to get notifications from threads you have subscribed to in the forum, the Outlook method would send all your email to you from that specified account and would therefore need some serious filtering, unless you are a 'billi' and dont get much email :)) An SMS gateway in the forum would be possible but the question of whom is paying for each SMS would probably make this project prohibitive.
Rowland
Learner Driver
First Name: Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Skippy,

your C3 runs on a Symbian Operating System ( mongrel :o3 ) and will support email service providers with the protocols POP3 and IMAP4, thats pretty much anyone who's worth having an email account with :-B
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

I had a c7 nokia and had my email setup on that.
uses the same os as the c3.
email is easy to set up just need some settings from your email provider most of which you can google for.
if at llandow could have a go then.