Internet Speed

Got a problem? Ask away... for issues about this website please goto the Subscribers area.

Moderator: Staff

Little Loris

Internet Speed

Post by Little Loris »

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox live membership but unsure that my Internet speed will be fast enough. I've run a speed test and they're all a bit different, however looks like I'm running about 3mb download in general.

What I don't want to happen is that all these speed tests are a load of tosh and spend £30 odd on membership only to find my Internet is poop.

Any gamers out there can let me know what their speed is or if mine is good enough before I fork out?!

Cheers,
LL
albieplums

Re: Internet Speed

Post by albieplums »

Blooming heck are you in the sticks!? Who supplies your Internet? Don't M.Soft do a 1 month ticket so you can do a tester or maybe if you have a mate who is on live they could bring theirs around to try? Also if you plug directly into your modem/router that could increase speed slightly I think as wireless signals can be a bit slower (as far as I know but I'm no IT guru so will accept any more technical persons opinion!)
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

I reckon you should be fine. My nephew has got it and their broadband blows big time, not much different to yours speed wise. As long as no one else is downloading anything in your house it should be fine.
Running on MT
Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

Cheers for the info. I'll look to see if Microsoft do a short membership before I splash out on geekdom.
Rowland
Learner Driver
First Name: Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Bandwidth requirements for xbox and ps3 can vary somewhat in direct relationship with the task in hand. i.e Playing a game requires less bandwidth than if you were hosting the game. Using a chat headset and/or webcam at the same time requires yet more bandwidth as you would expect.
Again if you are hosting a game you will need a reasonable upload speed.

As a rule of thumb, a good starting point for xbox would be 512kbs to play without game lag, so you have 6 times this but bear in mind you may be sharing this if you have pc's or other devices running on the same connection.

Downloading game updates may be slow but its all relative.
SteveR3
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by SteveR3 »

I've just applied this simple advice to my Netgear cable and it seems quicker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG5cEik2 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

SteveR3 wrote:I've just applied this simple advice to my Netgear cable and it seems quicker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG5cEik2 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lmao =)) =)) =)) =))
Running on MT
SteveR3
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by SteveR3 »

This is very serious stuff you know - the theory can also be applied to bikes...

It's similar to wrapping a Busa round a ZZR = Double the speed.