Getting a website onto the google searches.

Got a problem? Ask away... for issues about this website please goto the Subscribers area.

Moderator: Staff

Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Getting a website onto the google searches.

Post by Funky »

Does anybody know how to get onto the google search results with meta tagging and can they give any hints or tips?

The website is

http://www.n-c-engineering.co.uk
Rowland
Learner Driver
First Name: Rowland

Re: etting a website onto the google searches.

Post by Rowland »

yes but believ it or not its quite a big subject, what exactly do you want to achieve ?
Funky
Learner Driver

Post by Funky »

It's my brother, at the moment his site isn't even coming up in searches. I dont know about these things, but if pointed in the right direction, I could probably research it.
Taz2011
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by Taz2011 »

i believe its all about time - it took years for our families website to be picked up by Google, they use spiders to track certain words, as we were administering the page, it would come up with the percentage of usage of certain words, the more unique the word the more likely to be picked up.

ex - 'lots' is a low score whereas 'frequently' was a fairly high score..

hope this helps a tiny bit :)
The only dangerous nut is the one in the seat :s
Rowland
Learner Driver
First Name: Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Firstly add your site to googles crawler HERE this is for free. Get yourself signed up to use the webmaster tools.

Get the company listed in all the local internet business directories such as Hotfrog etc, these will provide a link back to your site. Google crawling these sites and finding yours will add to your google ranking score.

Branding - as there are quite a few businesses with the same name and similar urls you will need to do some work on your branding and straplines to make your business unique, What I call the "words of attraction" are important as these are the words you will see in the google listing, they have to be corrct and attaractive enough to invite a user to click on your link.

Your existing meta tags are not bad, you have included the new open graph tags (og) to attract social media such as facebook. I guess the template system you have used has had a hand in this.

All the above are free and will get you into what we call the "organic" listings, over that you can pay for things liske google addwords.

Google addwords when used correctly does make a massive difference, on paper they say you should not need to pay for google ranking, but I can tell you under the scenes it makes a massive difference particularily in cases like yours where your business names and produicts are very similar to others and you are all trying to be top of the google list, in reality somone has to win.

After you have done this the previous comment will kick in and you will have to wait a few weeks before you see any real returns.

On a business site we allow/devote about 4-6 hours a month on each site to work on its rankings.

Of course Google is just one of the search engines, but in fairness the most important.

Hope that helps as a starter.
Funky
Learner Driver

Post by Funky »

Thanks for all the help guys, really good information!