Create GPX routes in GPS Visualizer

Got a problem? Ask away... for issues about this website please goto the Subscribers area.

Moderator: Staff

Nigelw6
Learner Driver
First Name: Nigel

Create GPX routes in GPS Visualizer

Post by Nigelw6 »

Bored out of my brains stuck at home for a while I have been looking at creating GPX route files that can be uploaded to a GPS unit. There are a few tutorials on Youtube that show how to create the route in Google maps and then upload the URL into GPS Visualiser.com where it will create a GPX file to be uploaded to most GPS units. I tried it and created a GPX file of the coastal route from St Ives/St Just/ Sennen/ Porthcurno/ Mousehole/ Helston/ Falmouth.

I have tried it and opened the GPX file in tyre and it reported creating 5922 waypoints. Has anyone else tried doing this as I would like to create some routes that can be shared.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Create GPX routes in GPS Visualizer

Post by Jug »

Yes.
I do as you've done.
Once GPS Visualiser.com has made the GPX for me I then open that in either...

Basecamp to send to my Garmin Montana
Memory Map for my cheap GPS
Mapedit which can create a .trk file that Igo (on my phone) can use.

I have had no trouble with any of these so I guess it's the tyre app/website that doesn't like the GPX file. If so try opening it on your PC with something else and re-saving with reduced waypoints.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Can't say i've done that.
I tend to look at a map, write the key points or roads down on something called paper. Then ride it.
Then, I remember it, usually. Then I forget it. Sometimes not always in order that.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

I use Nom8s XVIII for all my rides.

Don't have a twatnav. Second hand PAYG 'phone is only on if I am leading or back-marking. Put £15 on it 3 yrs ago - still have £9 left.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Nigelw6 wrote: Apr 18th, '18, 17:41 I have tried it and opened the GPX file in tyre and it reported creating 5922 waypoints.
Just to add to the above, when it does this it is because it has misinterpreted a Track as a Route (or Route as a Track on Garmin).
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.