ahhhh GoPro's and Editing Videos

Got a problem? Ask away... for issues about this website please goto the Subscribers area.

Moderator: Staff

menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

ahhhh GoPro's and Editing Videos

Post by menzies3032 »

Hi All

The post is war and peace so get your reading glasses on......

As some of you know I had a trusty Turnidgy Action Camera that was cheap and cheerful at only £70. It looked like a GoPro and recorded in 1080 HD as well as other setting. I love the fact that I could use it at track days, stick it on the bike and record everything then post it to You Tube so I would watch it back and figure out lap times etc....

However all good things must come to an end and after 5 ish years of solid service the bike vibrations finally killed it.....

So decided it was time to splash out for a proper go pro and have bought the GoPro Hero 5 Black. As it was not cheap I have also decided to do a bit more with it and use You Tube as a means of displaying all the footage :-bd

However................

I then hit something that I had not expected. The GoPro footage is such high quality (even at lowered settings) that it takes up massive amounts of memory so I needed to go and get myself extra SD cards at 64Gb rather then my old trusty 32Gb chip from before. Also the write speed is so high on the GoPro the SD card has to be a better quality one to handle the mass data dump as the camera is recording.

To my shock and horror 8:52 of recording is a 4Gb file and then the GoPro performs "Chaptering" which means one video is split into multiple files to ensure compatibility with IT platforms and security to ensure if ever a video goes corrupt then it potentially will only be a part of it.

Soooo...............

I dont want to lower the setting to my old camera (else why not buy my old camera again) I love that I now have a high quality camera with decent footage and sound. But I now need to use it. This is where the fun begins. I will be honest our house hold has not moved forward with all things tech and some of our stuff is out of date or useless for what we now need. I have lots of options and non of them good.

The 2 things I am looking to understand.
1) What software to use to get a great result
2) What device / system to use (to buy) to get the results I am after

Software
I have tried a few options.
1) The Go Pro App
2) GoPro Splice
3) Windows Movie Maker
4) VSDC (Free Video Editor Software)

Hardware
1) My Iphone 6s (only has about 1Gb of space
2) My wifes old Iphone 6S (has bout 16Gb of space)
3) My Wifes Windows 10 Netbook (only has about 500mb of space)
4) My Ipad Air (only has 4Gb of space)
5) My Windows XP desktop computer (only has a P4 processor with 512mb of RAM but has over 100Gb free space)

So far what I have found is:-
The GoPro app wants to grab everything from the GoPro and stick it on your mobile device. No change for my phone or my tablet but have stolen the wife's old Iphone and this is an option but you have to use the wifi between the camera and the phone and it kept timing out and after hours of trying could not swap over even one 4gb file.

GoPro Splice is good for smaller videos where you want to put several videos together into one but again it has to be on a mobile device and not great at dealing with large files. (e.g. a single track day session is 20 mins so this will be about 10Gb of footage then a new file also about 10gb so you need 20Gb of space and a load of processing time before you can consider posting it any ware

Windows Movie Maker - failed as did not recognise the GoPro footage format even with a downloaded add on tha is supposed to mean it would work

Which has left me with the VSDC software. This is free from Downloads.com and is great at adding photos, videos, music, voice overlays, transition effects and exporting in a format of your choice at a quality of your choice. Only issue is careful of the graphic ability of your PC / Laptop as the GoPro footage was at a greater video resolution then the graphics card of the computer and the software crashed when i asked it to do a conversion. Moving the setting to within the graphic resolution of the PC it will then convert. However each 10Gb vid will take over a day to convert before you can post it. And also I am still not using the full resolution of the Camera as I have released that I probably don't need it for track day footage and what I am now getting is better then i had before.

Has anybody else got any better option or suggestions?
Will your options or suggestions work on one of my devices / PCs without me having to buy something new?
If I do need to bu something new any suggestions on what I need to get and from where?

Just some quick info on the vids
My old Camera recorded at could record at 1920x1080 at 30fps (frames per second)
But I always used to record at 1280x720 at 60fps
My new GoPro can record at 3840x2160
But I am looking to record at 1920x1080 at either 50fps or 120fps
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Re: ahhhh GoPro's and Editing Videos

Post by menzies3032 »

Ok if you managed to make it through war and peace above (at this point 17 views and no comments suggests not =)) ) then I have an update for you.

I have just managed to perform my first video conversion on my Windows XP Computer using the VSDC software. It took most of the day for the software / PC to prep the clip but what was 3 separate clips recorded at 2704x1520 50fps and totaling about 10Gb has been converted, seamlessly patched together and reduced to 1920x1080 30fps. now only 660Mb

Obviously this has lost some of the quality in the footage but as this was a test video clip for my daughter she was not looking for high quality videos.

But in a nut shell it works. :ymapplause:

So now to some real editing and playing. I can now figure out adding pictures, overlaying music merging video clips trimming vids etc etc

I am now hoping that I can make some SWB ride out vids (don't worry nothing whilst we are actually riding more before, shots when we stop and after) splice them all together and then post them on Youtube and share on the SWB Facebook page etc.

Watch (literally) this space B-)

p.s. I would still like you help though. in particular anybody using a GoPro 5 or above with GPS tech I know that you can get the GoPro Splice app to add a GPS track covering speed and g-force but again going to struggle applying it and then doing all the editing stuff. How do you do it if you have one and if you use it? :)]
R6 STU
Learner Driver

Post by R6 STU »

Can’t seem to find a decent editing software for free which then watermarks it or stops you uploading after the first video.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Your problem is processing power.
I have an older i7 which gives me 8 processors (4 actual but each is hyperthreading) to handle the file conversion and encoding. I also have a solid state harddrive to deal with large file transfers.

First off I cut the video to remove the junk (rough edit) using an editor that does not change the format. I can't remember what that kind of editor is called, maybe linear..
Anyway, that is a quick process and can reduce the file size significantly. If I need to reduce resolution I will generally use a different small app as they tend to work faster than full editing packages.

If however I feel like making a polished product I too have been using vsdc. Problem is, even at just 1920x1200 it is still heavy going on the processor.
Video editing is the main reason I went for an i7 over an i5 processor, and the SSD makes handling large files much more tolerable, along with some high speed USB 2.0 ports so you can use a card reader to pull the video files down quickly straight from the memory card.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I'm back on my PC now so can see what packages I currently use for video work.

Avidemux 2.7 is what I use for fast editing without re-encoding, it's very fast to use and doesn't stress the CPU. I use this simply to cut the large files up and to remove sections that aren't wanted.
To do tasks like reducing quality or resolution I'd use something like FormatFactory.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

R6 STU wrote: Jan 31st, '19, 23:01 Can’t seem to find a decent editing software for free which then watermarks it or stops you uploading after the first video.
Ok so have got the hang of VSDC it seems to work with everything from Windows XP up until current stuff and there are some really simple you tube videos explaining how to use the basic functions which are easy to use.

I have now cut my first proper video with it where I have removed sound, added music, merged vid clips together, added text and although I didn’t do it know how to add pictures in the Vid.

Check this out
https://youtu.be/mW7-hx_w0y8
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Jug_inspector thanks for all the feedback. As expected if I am going to get really good at this going to need to spend some cash on a decent PC. So far I am using an old Window XP machine. It works but is really slow. Cutting a 20 minute vid at 1080p 50fps is taking 24 hours to process. Will check out your suggested software see if it’s any better.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

I have a Win 7 Pro desktop going.

3.3 ghz 64 bit.

4 gig memory

Wiped and system re-installed. Have added some cleaners, malware and avast security.

£60 to you my boy.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

MellowYellow wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 20:44 I have a Win 7 Pro desktop going.

3.3 ghz 64 bit.

4 gig memory

Wiped and system re-installed. Have added some cleaners, malware and avast security.

£60 to you my boy.
Sorry can I confirm your post you offering me the desktop PC for £60?
If so yes please will take that off your hands :D
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

Wife bought me a go pro 6 black for crimbo and its seriously doing my head in!
Seems to have a mind of its own,think im going back to my trusty old 2.
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Fozz wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 21:37 Wife bought me a go pro 6 black for crimbo and its seriously doing my head in!
Seems to have a mind of its own,think im going back to my trusty old 2.
I seemed to have sussed it took a while to get the settings but got it doing what I want it to do. Found this chart really helpful though.
470FF67E-A9F8-44F0-82BA-3DAF1401680E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimbo04zx10r
Learner Driver
First Name: James

Post by Jimbo04zx10r »

As you are now a youtuber,

Would you be interested in making a video with me about getting your bike ready for a track day?

I think there is a few videos there from basic maintenance to full track prep.
Electronic's keeps the boys upright, the men keep it on the knee slider :)
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Jimbo04zx10r wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 11:16 As you are now a youtuber,

Would you be interested in making a video with me about getting your bike ready for a track day?

I think there is a few videos there from basic maintenance to full track prep.
Jimbo

Would love to. Can either do it on my channel or can do it on the new SWB Youtube channel.

Either way would love to......
Jimbo04zx10r
Learner Driver
First Name: James

Post by Jimbo04zx10r »

Ideal

we need to arrange a meet up and plan the video, think we should try and get one sorted before Llandow.

Do you have my contact number?
Electronic's keeps the boys upright, the men keep it on the knee slider :)