Track Day's Q & A

Look in for Track days + events

Moderator: Staff

Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: Track Day's Q & A

Post by Scotty »

Which bike/tyres/oil/brake pads/master cylinder/brake fluid/tyre warmers/generator/front stand/leathers/helmet/gloves/boots/back protector/van/loading ramp/gazebo should I use?
There's currently a thread on this very subject in the Cafe slate on the TrackDay Riders forum - for anything that a Trackdayer wishes to know, be they experienced or a novice thinking about having a go, the question will have been answered somewhere on the forum. Registering is free, plus TDR members get a discount with No Limits too.
One thing that I'd suggest, and it's covered in the thread mentioned above, is if you wish to learn about a subject, the first thing to do is Use the Search Button! It is fairly tedious for regulars of any forum to see new members asking the same basic questions repeatedly.
If you want to learn about trackdays, then go to http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/ and get learning
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Simon_FTB
Learner Driver

Post by Simon_FTB »

Hi all. I’m signed up for the Llandow track day in June

It’ll be my first track day, so one important question that does spring to mind is, should I buy track day insurance or not? I’ve been riding on roads >20 years but appreciate it’ll be very different on track. Obviously I’ll be in the ‘novice’ group and won’t be hooning round (at least, not to gegin with!!) and there’s far more chance of a Pring riding to/from the circuit. Do most people bother with insurance or not??
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

As for trackday insurance..... it’s totally up to you.
I have never taken out TD insurance and I tend to ride within my own capabilities.
I will be using my brand new S1000RR M Sport with no TD insurance.

So it’s all down to personal preference buddy.

Jay
2020 CBR1000RR-R
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

Give the guys at BeMoto a call if you are considering trackday insurance. It cost nothing to get a quote and if you need your bike for the daily commute it may be worth it.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

"Motorcycle Track Day Insurance in the UK | MORIS.co.uk" https://trackday.moris.co.uk/news/every ... ce083#blog
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I am a regular track day goer and normally now ride in Advanced group. I always try to ride to my capabilities as my farther kindly reminded me that I am old and fat and wont bounce well (thanks dad appreciate that). This being said a few years back I took my 5 year old Gixxer thou on Llandow and I decided to get track day insurance. For me it is nothing more then managing the "what if" so I could fully enjoy the day.

I would recommend BeMoto as well (that's who I used) but you will pay per track day and get a discount the more track days you do in a year. But be warned its not cheap. A days track day will cost you about £100 for the day. What you need to balance is the cost of £100 or the risk that you might fall off your pride and joy and worst case trash it and not be insured so have no cover.

That said please let me also make the following statement clear. Your safer riding on track then riding on the road. If i had to choose which one I had to do i would chose no insurance on track over no insurance on the road. Your riding on a place that is smooth tarmac with no pot holes, there is not going to be half bind driver pulling out in front of you on a track, your not going to ride round the bend and find a van stopped in front of you, many many risks are removed and you are therefore less likely to have an accident.

Also just because your on track does not mean you need to be the next Moto GP rider. Just ride your bike at a speed your happy with, if you want to go fast... do that. if you want to go slow.... do that. Just ride as your comfortable. its not a race, there is no winner, its just tarmac with no speed limit.

Enjoy, sure your have a great time.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Simon_FTB
Learner Driver

Post by Simon_FTB »

Really appreciate the input, everyone! I shall duly consider. I am really looking forward to getting out there to put my Tiger through its paces!
Gus
Learner Driver
First Name: Gustavas

Post by Gus »

Does Brands Hatch have power supply or I need a gen? I have found on google that there is power supply, but it’s recommended to have a gen. Where does it leave me then? 😂
Honda CBR 929 - old but gold
KTM 350EXC - needs a wash
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Gus wrote: Jan 9th, '23, 10:46 Does Brands Hatch have power supply or I need a gen? I have found on google that there is power supply, but it’s recommended to have a gen. Where does it leave me then? 😂
Hi Gus
Brands Hatch has probably the most amount of pit garages of any other track in the UK and yes each of them have power supplies that you can plug into. When i went last year the day was VERY busy so much so that No Limits broke it into 4 groups rather then the usual 3 groups and with all the extra people you might just find yourself in a garage or outside without the ability to plug into a power supply as everybody else has nicked all the sockets.

The straight answer for Brands is you do not need a Generator

The advise for Brands is get there very early and reserve your spot. When i say early we actually went to track the night before and when the track day had finished for that day we then put the bikes in situ and left them over night ready for the following morning so we had a spot.

Hope this helps
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gus
Learner Driver
First Name: Gustavas

Post by Gus »

Thnaks Rob, that was really helpful 👍
Honda CBR 929 - old but gold
KTM 350EXC - needs a wash