Post by shammy666 »

Booked inters - it's with Phil Bevan Trackdays £99.00
Anyone else?
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Re: Pembrey - Saturday 13/6/15

Post by jer r1 »

booked in novice, still a bit track rusty.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Glynmcc

Post by Glynmcc »

Having done a novice day for Phil Bevan trackdays, dont expect many novices in your group, expect a lot of red flags, six sessions, and strict noise limitations, also take confirmation of your booking
Glynmcc

Post by Glynmcc »

OH here's a review i posted on another forum:-

This day was a Phil Bevan's trackday booked via Trackdays.co.uk. Bike 2013 D675R with arrow slip on, baffle fitted. It was my second only track day, previous was Brands Indy, but been riding bikes for over 20 years.
Weather clear skies, cold to start with but lovely by lunch
Sign on was sort of a good precursor for the day, I was not on the list, though I took my confirmation email with me, therefore the guy added me with no complaints, if I didn't take that email I probably would've spent the day watching my mate having fun.
Safety meeting, was thorough but when the organiser started talking about ACU holders, oversubscribed novice group that contained somewhat faster people who wanted upgrades, but couldn't because inters and fast were full, hmm nervous.
Paddock was full of mobile homes, compressors and trailers, there was only one guy who turned up just on his bike. Was beginning to get a bit more nervous, add that to my concern about the 102db noise level. Fast and Inters were out first, so gave me time to warn the bike up.
So noise testing, I may have been a bit too generous with the throttle to be told "go away put your baffle in its 107" was a blow, seeing that the baffle was in! So rejoined the back of the queue, composed myself and this time instead of trying not to go over the 6.5 rpm I stayed at a steady 5.5 rpm sneaked in at 102dB.
Lining up, the majority were track bikes, the first two sessions were pretty awful, the track really technical, the group riders were just so fast, it was plainly obvious that in this novice group the only novices were me and my mate. After these sessions, I made the conscious decision, who gives a [censored] about how many times I get overtaken, just worry about your own lines, ignore everyone else, I then began to enjoy myself and started to really like this circuit, it certainly likes the D675. TBH the club riders and trackday pros who made up our 'novice' group were very mindful of us, and didn't detract from me having a right old ball, although I had a wry smile when in the first session one lad stuffed it up the inside of me on the old hairpin and nearly ended up in the tyres because he was going to fast.
But there was a fair few idiots in the other groups. The first four sessions of the day were all red flagged. The fast group only had one clear session of the day, and that was the final one.
The group in the paddock next to me, an R1, ZX6r, 2x GSXR, Ix 916, only the ninja and yamaha survived the day. One guy ended in hospital with a broken leg and arm, his road GSXR a disintegrated mess, the other road GSXR lost its front fairings and nose cone. Special mention for the Ducati, he failed the noise test and missed the morning session. After placing red bull cans in his exhausts he passed but unfortunately on the very first corner of the very first lap without yellows he was in the tyres.
There seemed to be a collective madness to this day, some very fast riders using the trackday to test, and not so fast guys trying to keep up and binning it. I let it wash over me and just enjoyed myself, no one caused me to run wide or panic, if anyone was going to be blamed for me binning it, it was going to be me.
So Pembrey, brilliant track, hard work, aching today, fully recommend it. The last 10 miles to get there are a pain in the arse.
Phil Bevan's Trackdays, recommend again, but be aware, this might have been an isolated incident, but if your going to have your very first trackday use MSV or No Limits, because it might just put you off doing another trackday.
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

I always book direct through Phil Bevans site, much easier :-bd
Sounds like you had an 'interesting' day. If a track day is prior to a race meeting do tend to get a lot of quick folks out, happens anywhere tbh. Been at Donington before when inters was slower than novice.
Think it may well rain a tad tomorrow so left the wets on (and saves Matt a wheel change :lol: )
See you there JerR1 if your still going.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber

Post by jer r1 »

all packed and ready to roll :D
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Have a good time
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber

Post by jer r1 »

A good day ( if not a tad wet ) was had by all. None of the issues mentioned in earlier post came to light , and will be booking with Phil Bevan again. Good to see shammy again, going well on her fireblade.( mental note to self, get some wets on spare wheels )
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

Forgot just how much I like Pembrey :D
Your tyre choice was interesting...deffo got value for money out of those :))
Wet tyres are brilliant - was selfishly hoping it would continue raining for the rest of the day.