Look in for Track days + events

Moderator: Staff

menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

600 tracks

Post by menzies3032 »

Hi All

Just wanted to try and get people's input as I think about the rest of the year and into 2018.

I have been very happy this year with my improvement on track riding to the point where I have felt several times that it is the bike that is holding me back rather then my ability to ride it. Not to say that I am the next Moto GP racer just that for the first time I feel in control and can push when I want to without feeling unstable.

However the joy of a great track day is starting to get ruined by me being able to outbrake and out corner somebody just to see them fly past me down the straights.

I am making changes to my 600 that have already started to make a difference however it's still a 600 and no fettling is going to stop me getting blasted by a 1000cc down Bedford back straight.

So with this in mind and as I am not going to be changing the 600 any time soon this brings into question the tracks that I look to go to.

As small as Llandow is it has no real straights so I have a fighting chance
Pembrey is always a favourite and although is has some straights there are enough twisties to make it interesting
I love Bedford as a track, great to have Pitt garages and I find it very flowing however always get done on the straights.
And then there is Cadwell which I have only done in Novice but must say did enjoy the track.

So all this said to my question????????

You 600 riders which tracks do you go to?
Do they have pitt garages?
and what tracks does the 600 perform well at?
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Re: 600 tracks

Post by awkwardbydesign »

I have a similar problem, but even more so. My SV650S (with a 700cc engine) corners and brakes well, but even the 600s overtake me. For me Mallory works; one not too long front straight, a shorter back straight, Gerrards (which is great fun) and it has pit garages. Brands Indy is another favourite (with lots of garages), a straight that isn't, and Paddock Hill Bend. Worth going just for that, IMO. Cadwell is probably the favourite of those I have ridden, but just too far from Plymouth. The old Anglesey circuit was good, and the current one has several different layouts, so one of them might work for you. Donington and Oulton Park are too fast for me, and I don't want to even try Silverstone!
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

Some of the best Trackdays I've had were on my under powered 106bhp 1995 YZF750. Learnt a lot on it over the years.
They are about timing more than power, so that you keep the revs up.

The only one I don't like is Silverstone. (Flat and just an excuse to put a load of straights together).

Got down to 1:45's at Donington.

I'm on the yellow bike following -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPFuH4Pgmdw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Look at the times of the super sport boys compared to the superstock boys. At most circuit's 2 seconds in it,

And even then the 300/minitwins/cb500 are only 3-5 seconds behind if that.

It's more how you ride it than what it is.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KueMuHrYrxA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QED
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

awkwardbydesign wrote:I have a similar problem, but even more so. My SV650S (with a 700cc engine) corners and brakes well, but even the 600s overtake me. For me Mallory works; one not too long front straight, a shorter back straight, Gerrards (which is great fun) and it has pit garages. Brands Indy is another favourite (with lots of garages), a straight that isn't, and Paddock Hill Bend. Worth going just for that, IMO. Cadwell is probably the favourite of those I have ridden, but just too far from Plymouth. The old Anglesey circuit was good, and the current one has several different layouts, so one of them might work for you. Donington and Oulton Park are too fast for me, and I don't want to even try Silverstone!
Cheers for this very helpful.

I have not done Mallory before so will defiantly give this one a try
I have done Brands in a car but not on a bike. I know it is a great track but such a long way to drive to get there think it takes longer then Cadwell :shock:
Not done Anglesey either but also heard good things so again will have to give it a go
I would agree re Donnington and Oulton will not be in a rush to book. I did Silverstone a few years back and bike was running out of puff half way down the straight.
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Cool vid at Mallory Layne. Is that anybody you didn't overtake :D
What were you riding for this vid was this on your blade or the YZF
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Ruffian wrote:Look at the times of the super sport boys compared to the superstock boys. At most circuit's 2 seconds in it,

And even then the 300/minitwins/cb500 are only 3-5 seconds behind if that.

I am trying Ian and have improved and taken seconds off lap times but still struggling on my 102bhp 600 to keep up with the 1000s pumping out 160 to 200bhp. Just get very down hearted having a group of bikes come past you like your standing still when your pushing on and giving it your best.

"Exhibit A your honour"
https://youtu.be/XiVVuYP4ngU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if I am not going to change the bike then just looking to have a rethink about tracks.
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

Ruffian wrote:
This ^^^^

Let you know about Anglesey Coastal after Friday :D
Oulton Park is great fun - expensive but fun!
Cadwell - just lovely!
Brands GP - growing on me after 2nd time there but still prefer to go to Oulton or Cadwell.
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

menzies3032 wrote:
Cool vid at Mallory Layne. Is that anybody you didn't overtake :D
What were you riding for this vid was this on your blade or the YZF
Still on the YZF750. And it had a carburation problem, so I'd have to throttle back at 9-10 thou to get it through a flat spot.

You've got to do Oulton. It's only Silvertone I didn't enjoy. I loved being the under dog.

A friend has parked his BMW1000RR in favor of his Ten Kate CBR650, as he said it was too easy to just point and squirt, as he prefers to play around with the big stuff. Afterall, isn't it all about the corners? If you want straights, go drag racing or play on the M5!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q749jgyE-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJhKclWI1wo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

600's can still get around just as quick. Yes top level a 1000 will always be faster, even if it isnt by much but a well ridden 600 can be put around very quickly. My laptimes on Kellys old 636 were pretty much the same to my R1, I just made the time in different areas, I'm sure I could ride the R1 faster, if I wasnt a pussy on the throttle, but in fairness it just makes life a little easier, I dont have to worry to much about getting on the power early.

A few years ago I went to a North Glos race at Castle Combe, there were some quick boys there and in the Power Bike class or whatever its called, theres a guy who rocks up on a 675, he raced in BSB Supersport but never scored any points, anyway he's racing against 1000's and he won every race on his 675.
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

So I think I am getting the jist of the message which is keep learning and stop blaming your equipment. Which to be fair is a sensible shout. Perhaphs more rider training is in order. :oops:
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

Luke Jones,

Set the club record at Thruxton against the latest ZX10 too.
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

Just do this....it works :-bd
Notso-fast
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Prime example,

Pembrey fast grout instructor was riding
A tweaked sv650.
Mrc rides an r6 faster than most people riding anything else.

Until you have learnt you bike to the point you can run fast group then what's the point in changing.
Just go out with a few 600''s

And then give yourself a chufty badge when you blitz a 1000 at there own game!!
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"