Look in for Track days + events

Moderator: Staff

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Castle Combe

Post by billinom8s »

Coming to play at llandow?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
adeblade
Learner Driver
First Name: Adrian

Post by adeblade »

Castle Coombe is local to me & track itself is decent enough. Noise testing is a pain in the backside & be aware it's measured at 3/4 revs which is a lot higher than most places. Smaller groups do give you much more room on track but 10 minute sessions don't make it great value to be honest.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

shammy666 wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 22:16 Be warned noise is 105db at 3/4 max revs!
My R6 5EB passed at Pembrey, tested as per ACU regs (think 7k from memory). Tested at Castle Combe as per their noise test at 11.5K 😳😳😳 so epic fail at 108 with baffle.
Good luck.
Shammy's correct, the noise test at Combe is nothing like the regular ACU test - don't feel smug that you scrape by an ACU test at 104db, it'll be an entirely different issue at Combe. I'm not so genned-up on the very latest bikes but I do know that GSX-R600s and R6s from 2006-7 would both fail the CC noise test with standard exhausts...

The sessions are indeed ten minutes' duration, which comprises a mandatory out-lap behind an instructor at a steady pace for every session, which may give you 6 or 7 minutes of open track time before the chequered flag is shown (to enable them to empty the track for the next session on time). Frustratingly, the circuit is 5 minutes from my house, but I'd rather drive 4 hours+ to Cadwell if I want to ride. It's also bumpy as hell and has no appreciable left-handers.

It's relatively close (good thing), but the downsides (bad thing) mitigate against it. If you're new to trackdays, or not fussy you may enjoy it...
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Scotty

That was a good review. Based on this I have to say that I would not be booking up any time soon. Having gone to Pembrey where they sometimes run a sighting lap per session this is a real faff and stops you from getting on with it. if you are also only on 10 minute sessions you are only just about going to get into your stride before they pull you off the track again.

Goes to show why No Limits are so well liked. 3 sighting laps at the start of the day and then 20 minutes sessions 7 sessions a day..... Result
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

" Coming to play at llandow?"

llandow not for me buddy, Pembrey and i'll be there with bells on
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

menzies3032 wrote: Jan 4th, '19, 15:07 Scotty

That was a good review. Based on this I have to say that I would not be booking up any time soon. Having gone to Pembrey where they sometimes run a sighting lap per session this is a real faff and stops you from getting on with it. if you are also only on 10 minute sessions you are only just about going to get into your stride before they pull you off the track again.

Goes to show why No Limits are so well liked. 3 sighting laps at the start of the day and then 20 minutes sessions 7 sessions a day..... Result
Rob, what we find is if you run fast group the out laps are still at a fast enough pace that they aren't a follow the leader as with other groups.

It's more a this is the line you need to be on to get round here fast. and boy does it work.

Running mid fast group getting dragged round by racers does make you focus on where you need to be and where you may have been going wrong.
To the point now I can commit through the follow through flat in 5th and got my times down close to a respectable pace.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

All the above is true. It's close to me so i like going, but if it was further away i would go elsewhere because of the short sessions. Compared to road riding it's not bumpy, but defo the faster riders do find it bumpy (ie not me).
R6 STU
Learner Driver

Post by R6 STU »

Most standard bikes with a low exhaust fail
Gerry
Learner Driver

Post by Gerry »

Hiya folks... just to re-confirm what Ms Shammy said above. It's the 3/4 max revs that gets people, there's a list (or used to be) of road legal bikes that won't even get through on their site. think any half or shorty cans may have a problem.

Saying that, Wiltshire Bikers are looking to have a day there on a Monday! (they don't ever do Mondays) I'm hoping to get 12 riders up together and see if we can get a modest discount. OK it's only ten minute sessions, but I always have a fun time there.
MONDAY 3RD JUNE
Let me know if you are interested and I'll keep you posted on numbers, I'm guessing we (WB) will be struggling to make a dozen, but I may be wrong. Cheers Gerry
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Keep us posted for sure
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
m1bjr
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by m1bjr »

Ape with the SC project is around 121dB
Might scrape by with a Brillo in the link pipe...
%-( :)):
Jimbo04zx10r
Learner Driver
First Name: James

Post by Jimbo04zx10r »

m1bjr wrote: Feb 22nd, '19, 01:46 Ape with the SC project is around 121dB
Might scrape by with a Brillo in the link pipe...
%-( :)):
I think you need a few Brillos pads along with a miracle
Electronic's keeps the boys upright, the men keep it on the knee slider :)