Nicky Hayden serious condition after cycling accident

Moto gp,WSB,WSP,BSB,World endurance etc
layne
Learner Driver

Nicky Hayden serious condition after cycling accident

Post by layne »

http://www.motofire.com/2017/05/news/br ... -accident/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Re: Nicky Hayden serious condition after cycling accident

Post by MellowYellow »

That's a lot of damage to the car. Must have hit it very hard.

Let's hope he can be sorted. Best wishes.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Well things are not looking good update from Steve Burgess who works in bike racing
Update, 4.00pm Italy (3.pm here)

Nicky has suffered 'serious brain damage'

Prognosis, not good
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Hayden, from Owensboro, Kentucky, was treated at the scene before being taken to a nearby hospital. He was later transferred to Bufalini Hospital in Cesena.

He suffered head and chest injuries in the accident and has been placed in an induced coma, according to reports.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

Just looked at that report again it has been updated , not looking good at all

The latest statement was made at around 16:30 (BST) on the 18th May and said that there had been little change in Hayden’s condition,

“The clinical conditions of Nicky Hayden remain critical. The young man, who is still in the Intensive Care ward of the Bufalini hospital in Cesena, suffered a serious polytrauma which consequently resulted in very serious cerebral damage. The prognosis remains critical”
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

I hope the reports are over stating it and he recovers but it does not look good. Not a good one to lose even if you ignore the fact anyone is a sad loss. Lots of personality and happiness compared to some of the others.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I have to say that I find it unbleavible that you get a world class motorbike racer doing what is deemed to be a very dangerous thing as a day job. Riding at 200mph on a regular bases (and as we know from the police speed kills) and the biggest accident of his life is when he is on a push bike on a straight bit of road riding in a big group of other push bikes and is knocked off by a car driver not paying any attention to the road..... oh sorry who didn't see him.

Is it me or is there something just totally wrong here. When are governments and police forces going to start really cracking down on riders and drivers not paying attention to the road in front of them.

This is big news because he is famious but this is happening to normal people every day.

I wish Nicky a speedy recovery and my thoughts are with his family and loved ones. I just hope Nicky is able to recover as all reports I am seeing so far are suggesting he may not pull through this. Either way I doubt he will ever ride or race ever again.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

menzies3032 wrote:This is big news because he is famious but this is happening to normal people every day.
On my ride to work every day I regularly get caught up in slow moving traffic (A39 Perrranarworthal) because of a couple of cyclists on a half mile (max) stretch where passing even a bike is a challenge. They both wear good hi vis and have lights and I have never seen them do anything stupid. It's a pain to be delayed but they have rights to the road as well and I have cycled (once) along that road so I know how terrifying it can be on a bicycle.

Yesterday one was lying motionless in the road.

It is a bit of road with no side turnings, double whites (so no oncoming traffic overtaking) and decent visibility apart from it being a bit gloomy under the trees (but it was a bright, dry morning). The lack of anything on the news suggests he survived but what idiot failed to see a full hi vis jacket at speeds of no more than 35-40. Did they not stop to wonder why everyone else was pulling away from the edge of the road (judging by previous mornings) and just plough into the back of him whilst playing with their phone? Or did they just drive into them. We are vulnerable enough but cyclists can't wear heavy gear and armour or accelerate away from oncoming idiots.

Like you say it seems obvious that the Nicky Hayden thing was a driver being incompetent and I can't agree more that the traffic police should spend all there time on dangerous and incompetent drivers and, I think, none on speeding unless it is also one or both of those two. We all make mistakes though and I have seen the effect on the mind of a driver who killed a motorcyclist and they suffer as well but why can't they think about that BEFORE they have to?
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Dailaughing wrote:
menzies3032 wrote:This is big news because he is famious but this is happening to normal people every day.
On my ride to work every day I regularly get caught up in slow moving traffic (A39 Perrranarworthal) because of a couple of cyclists on a half mile (max) stretch where passing even a bike is a challenge. They both wear good hi vis and have lights and I have never seen them do anything stupid. It's a pain to be delayed but they have rights to the road as well and I have cycled (once) along that road so I know how terrifying it can be on a bicycle.

Yesterday one was lying motionless in the road.

It is a bit of road with no side turnings, double whites (so no oncoming traffic overtaking) and decent visibility apart from it being a bit gloomy under the trees (but it was a bright, dry morning). The lack of anything on the news suggests he survived but what idiot failed to see a full hi vis jacket at speeds of no more than 35-40. Did they not stop to wonder why everyone else was pulling away from the edge of the road (judging by previous mornings) and just plough into the back of him whilst playing with their phone? Or did they just drive into them. We are vulnerable enough but cyclists can't wear heavy gear and armour or accelerate away from oncoming idiots.

Like you say it seems obvious that the Nicky Hayden thing was a driver being incompetent and I can't agree more that the traffic police should spend all there time on dangerous and incompetent drivers and, I think, none on speeding unless it is also one or both of those two. We all make mistakes though and I have seen the effect on the mind of a driver who killed a motorcyclist and they suffer as well but why can't they think about that BEFORE they have to?
Why assume another vehicle was involved? Sat in traffic in Dawlish last year, a cyclist came up the left side of me, and as he passed the car in front he fell to the floor. He caught some overhanging just as he touched his front brake and went down like a sack of spuds.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

As I said I know the road and I know the way that cyclist rides so I doubt it was that way around. Could have been but I doubt it.
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

Is there any evidence yet of fault by anyone at all? If not, shouldn't we wait before throwing blame around?
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

Not really because all I was doing was backing up a previous comment with an example. I have seen plenty of stupid cyclists but they are most likely to kill themselves. Our topic was car drivers who don't pay attention and I have seen that as well - unfortunately they are most likely to kill the cyclist, pedestrians or other road users not themselves. In my situation on that bit of road the cyclist would have had to be incredibly incompetent to crash without assistance and this one wasn't from what I have seen.

Going back to Nicky Hayden I find it very possible that he was going too fast (it's sort of what he does) or even that he lost control so am definitely not apportioning blame in that situation as I know nothing about it (especially if we assume the news reporting is as inaccurate as most news reporting).

If I had been a less experienced rider I would have been knocked off twice on the 25 mile trip home yesterday. Both by vehicles not paying attention and neither were cyclists. Call me biased!
Learner Driver

Dailaughing wrote:(especially if we assume the news reporting is as inaccurate as most news reporting).
There seems to be a lot of that. Even the Express is reporting it!
"However, the ‘fake news’ online is reportedly adding to his pain.
Earl Hayden told Roadracing World that the family has issued no statement that Hayden has died, although he is on life support.
It was claimed Hayden was with a group of 14 riders when the incident happened. This is not true.
Nor is it true that doctors performed surgery on the MotoGP legend and that he has not been in an induced coma."
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

Well this came from Steve Burgess a motogp team manager this morning who should know what is happening
This mornings update from the hospital ..

No change, still critical in intensive care
Hunter S Thompson
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

We can only hope he recovers.