Hearing protection

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

Shooey
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Hearing protection

Post by Shooey »

Okay, so I've been riding for 2 years now and have tried 3 different forms of hearing protection (see below), well 4 if you include those foam things that just dont work in my ears. I started with Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors but found the fit a little weird but comfortable. The issue with these was, I wasn't sure that were actually offering any protection as the noise level was not reduced that much at all. I understand that the noise is filtered but I remain sceptical.

After doing a few track days and seeing lots of people with moulded ear protection I tried the R&G DIY Moulded Ear Plugs, a cheap alternative to the professionals! Whilst these are good, obviously the fit is great, although a little proud, which makes my ears sore when putting helmet on and taken it off repeatedly, like on track days. Also, there is no filter and noise levels are reduced too much. Intercom is pretty much out of the question.

So, after talking to a number of fellow SWB's, I learn the 'Honiton Hearing' offer a Low profile, filtered, moulded plug. You can even choose the colour! Whilst early days, the fit is great without being bulky, noise levels are reduced significantly but not to the levels where you can't hear anything! Putting your helmet on with the plugs in is not an issue due to the slim, sleek fit of the plug. Yet to try intercom but imagine this will be spot on due to the filter in the plug. Plugs come with a case and cleaner.

Here's the details of the 3 products.

Honiton Hearing

Low profile, filtered moulded plug £85.00

https://honiton-hearing.co.uk/services/ ... rotection/

MOTORCYCLING
Most people think that a motorcycle helmet will protect their hearing, but in fact, it is the opposite. Riding your motorcycle from Honiton to Exeter at 60mph will take approximately 30 minutes. Test results show this places 101dB (A) on your eardrums, even with a helmet on. Colin confirms, “Your daily limit of exposure, without damage, is 102dB for 30 minutes. Exceeding these limits can cause damage to the inner ear, resulting in temporary or permanent deafness, tinnitus and oversensitivity to various sounds.”

There are 2 main sources for noise when riding a motorcycle, below 20mph, most of the noise will come from the motor, but above 40mph the noise emphasis shifts to wind noise. So far advances in helmet design have made little difference to the sound levels in the ear, but without a helmet the sound reaching the ear is around 18dB higher at all speeds. It is true that susceptibility to noise induced hearing loss varies between people, and there is also little real difference between bikes, helmets, and riding styles. However, interestingly, signal detection is improved with plugs in above around 40 mph, so they should be considered essential for all but short urban journeys

As a rough guide the sound levels at the ear relate to the speed you are doing … Bear in mind the 80dB (A) action level for industry … that equates to roughly 30mph, anything above 30mph and you need to protect your hearing.

So for motorcycling, ear plugs are the answer!

Normally a low profile filtered plug, or a moulded communication system.

R&G Racing

DIY Moulded Ear Plugs £17.91

Here's the link:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Ear_Protectors/

Auritech Biker Ear Plugs

Noise cancelling ear plugs with patented ceramic filters £19.95

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/209932

The wind noise produced on a motorcycle can reach 105db; for spectators, levels up to 130db have been recorded! Research has proven that your hearing can be damaged with any noise level exceeding 85db, so it is essential to use hearing protection whenever possible. Developed over 20 years by leading experts, Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors are superior to traditional foam, was and silicone earplugs. Auritech hearing protectors are precision tuned with patented ceramic filters to ensure maximum protection from dangerous levels of engine, wind and road noise. The unique filtration in these hearing protectors allows conversation, sirens and horns to remain clearly audible with no muffled effect. They are extremely comfortable to wear and suitable for all ages.

Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors are precisely tuned for optimum attenuation at the frequencies required by motorsport enthusiasts, particularly motorcyclists. The independently measured mean sound attenuation (EN352-2:2002) is 29.6db at the higher (most damaging) frequencies.
layne
Learner Driver

Re: Hearing protection

Post by layne »

After 30 something years of riding, i have only age related hearing loss and that is only on some sounds like F's & S's. (recent test)

Been using this type for only the last 20 years -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-1100-Earplu ... th=1&psc=1
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

I have the moulded ones from Honiton Hearing.
Had them done a few years ago and the product is good and the service from the shop was excellent.
Would recommend them.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I've had three op's for otosclerosis. Whilst this is a congenital problem it has made me very conscious of the need to protect ourselves from the gradual hearing loss everyone will get from the steady onslaught of noise. I implore everyone to use good noise protection when riding their bikes. The wind noise will cause hearing loss, more so than any loud exhaust - even Alan's :mrgreen:

I've always used the disposable plugs with the greatest noise reduction, the orange ones. Disposable are more hygienic unless you wash your moulded plugs regularly. However I am very interested in looking at the Honiton Hearing supplied moulded plugs.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I have a molded set.

The guy rode over from Dorchester, did the moldings, sent me my plugs within a week and only charged £60 for the whole thing.

They fit great, sound reduction is spot on and again you can choose colour etc.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Stick with your orange plugs Brian, they work fine and always feel comfy.
I lost one last weekend-( a yellow one, if you find it please return -- teh heh) no problem as I carry a few spares, but if I'd lost a molded plug that could be half of 85 quid plus complete the ride with one ear defender.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Next time you lose an ear plug Roy, just tear off a corner of your Acme Patented 'bar mounted visor cleaner, that should tide you over for a year or two :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Personaly, I've been using Howard Leight's 'Max Lite' disposable ear plugs for years with good results - only problem being that EVERYTHING gets blocked out. Might give the orange jobbies a go next though, just to see (or hear) if there's an improvement.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

I wear plugs but on the fjr I still find the wind noise loud unless I put the windscreen up high and hide beneath it.

It's much louder than the gsxr.

So all I can take from this is that screen and bike can make a high difference.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

I've used a number of different disposable ones. Most with no problems at all. The Slightly shiny orange ones FGW provide by the bucket load at their depots are very good, as are the yellow ones my brother in law used to get by the box when working in the quarries ....... :-bd

As Roy points out, you can always have a few spare pairs about your pockets, and you won't cry if you misplace or damage one or both......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I used to use the cheap/disposable ones, great for the job but kept on losing them. Same with sunglasses.

Now i've spent out on decent ones I know exactly where they are at all times, same as my Oakleys.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

I bought a big bag of E.A.R. disposable ones several ears ago and still have lots left.

Hardly ever wear them on the bike - mainly for cafés, pubs, barbers, shops etc. which for some reason insist on horrendous noise pollution through muzac. Also deafening supermarket customer announcements and (worst of all) Xmas carols.

%-( %-( %-( %-( %-(
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

Have custom made plugs with filters and speakers for bluetooth made by Mercury hearing. Not cheap but fantastic plugs. Filters out low frequency noise but still allows you to hear people talking. Takes the sound of a FJR down to a whisper even when on a motorway. Highly recommended.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

I use Moldex 7800 Spark Plugs. Used them for the las 20 odd years
Running on MT
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Shooey wrote: Sep 24th, '19, 21:25 Okay, so I've been riding for 2 years now and have tried 3 different forms of hearing protection (see below), well 4 if you include those foam things that just dont work in my ears. I started with Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors but found the fit a little weird but comfortable. The issue with these was, I wasn't sure that were actually offering any protection as the noise level was not reduced that much at all. I understand that the noise is filtered but I remain sceptical.

After doing a few track days and seeing lots of people with moulded ear protection I tried the R&G DIY Moulded Ear Plugs, a cheap alternative to the professionals! Whilst these are good, obviously the fit is great, although a little proud, which makes my ears sore when putting helmet on and taken it off repeatedly, like on track days. Also, there is no filter and noise levels are reduced too much. Intercom is pretty much out of the question.

So, after talking to a number of fellow SWB's, I learn the 'Honiton Hearing' offer a Low profile, filtered, moulded plug. You can even choose the colour! Whilst early days, the fit is great without being bulky, noise levels are reduced significantly but not to the levels where you can't hear anything! Putting your helmet on with the plugs in is not an issue due to the slim, sleek fit of the plug. Yet to try intercom but imagine this will be spot on due to the filter in the plug. Plugs come with a case and cleaner.

Here's the details of the 3 products.

Honiton Hearing

Low profile, filtered moulded plug £85.00

https://honiton-hearing.co.uk/services/ ... rotection/

MOTORCYCLING
Most people think that a motorcycle helmet will protect their hearing, but in fact, it is the opposite. Riding your motorcycle from Honiton to Exeter at 60mph will take approximately 30 minutes. Test results show this places 101dB (A) on your eardrums, even with a helmet on. Colin confirms, “Your daily limit of exposure, without damage, is 102dB for 30 minutes. Exceeding these limits can cause damage to the inner ear, resulting in temporary or permanent deafness, tinnitus and oversensitivity to various sounds.”

There are 2 main sources for noise when riding a motorcycle, below 20mph, most of the noise will come from the motor, but above 40mph the noise emphasis shifts to wind noise. So far advances in helmet design have made little difference to the sound levels in the ear, but without a helmet the sound reaching the ear is around 18dB higher at all speeds. It is true that susceptibility to noise induced hearing loss varies between people, and there is also little real difference between bikes, helmets, and riding styles. However, interestingly, signal detection is improved with plugs in above around 40 mph, so they should be considered essential for all but short urban journeys

As a rough guide the sound levels at the ear relate to the speed you are doing … Bear in mind the 80dB (A) action level for industry … that equates to roughly 30mph, anything above 30mph and you need to protect your hearing.

So for motorcycling, ear plugs are the answer!

Normally a low profile filtered plug, or a moulded communication system.

R&G Racing

DIY Moulded Ear Plugs £17.91

Here's the link:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Ear_Protectors/

Auritech Biker Ear Plugs

Noise cancelling ear plugs with patented ceramic filters £19.95

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/209932

The wind noise produced on a motorcycle can reach 105db; for spectators, levels up to 130db have been recorded! Research has proven that your hearing can be damaged with any noise level exceeding 85db, so it is essential to use hearing protection whenever possible. Developed over 20 years by leading experts, Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors are superior to traditional foam, was and silicone earplugs. Auritech hearing protectors are precision tuned with patented ceramic filters to ensure maximum protection from dangerous levels of engine, wind and road noise. The unique filtration in these hearing protectors allows conversation, sirens and horns to remain clearly audible with no muffled effect. They are extremely comfortable to wear and suitable for all ages.

Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors are precisely tuned for optimum attenuation at the frequencies required by motorsport enthusiasts, particularly motorcyclists. The independently measured mean sound attenuation (EN352-2:2002) is 29.6db at the higher (most damaging) frequencies.

Can you put them in on your own now Paul? :-bd :D :)) =)) =))
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Tee hee hee
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"