125 advice

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

curtisb97
Learner Driver
First Name: Curt

125 advice

Post by curtisb97 »

I've managed to get a CBT booked in by some miracle... I'm on the waiting list for Direct Access but that's months off.

Looking for suggestions on 125 that would do me well for the next year or so to get up and running/learning

TIA!
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: 125 advice

Post by Jug »

I wouldn't really know... but what I would say was to stay away from the Chinese makes as they are cheap for a reason.
My 125 was a de-restricted 1980's MTX125 and it went like stink (and also stunk of two stroke oil).

Can't go wrong with a CB125F (or similar) to be honest, unless you want a fancy pants 125.
Duke 125 would be my choice but then that's because I seem to be a bit of a KTM man nowadays, nice looking bike though the Duke 125/200/390.
MT-125 are nice but have their issues and are pricey for what they are.
Ninja 125's look pretty smart.

But underneath they are all just 125's... so I'd just get something that is good enough for now and focus on moving up ASAP.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

Sports or enduro style bike?

gsxr 125 or r 125 for sports style, there is a company on FB that imports old dt, kmx and ts 125s that'd be my choice 👍
curtisb97
Learner Driver
First Name: Curt

Post by curtisb97 »

yeah thanks for that, I hadn't considered the CB125F they're nice looking bikes actually!
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

This is an absolutely irrelevant comment. I once had a 125cc BSA Bantam.....but that's long gone :mrgreen:
bantam125red.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Ahh the old cheese cutter front number plate, I remember them well. Unfortunately I also remember the 125 BSA Bantams as I had one too. A horrid thing. I won't say it was worn out and gutless but I was once once out dragged by a Honda 50 step through!
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Msx 125.
I had one and regret selling it was 9bhp of pure power

Great commuter not so great on open road but I did the air ambulance run with a mate both on them and was like moto2
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

can't go wrong with a DT125 or even a YBR125.

both bikes will allow you to learn and they will be pretty reliable.

don't do chinese, you'll spend so much time at the side of the road truckers will think you're game.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

Agree with above a 125 is a 125 all restricted to same sort of speeds ,and don't buy Chinese the money you save on purchase you will end up paying in repairs and spares
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

If you can even get the spares!
Also lots of spares are just not arriving due to limited space on shipping containers travel east to west due to covid.
The Japs are still managing though as they have more established supply chains.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

billinom8s wrote: Apr 9th, '21, 16:49 can't go wrong with a DT125 or even a YBR125.

both bikes will allow you to learn and they will be pretty reliable.

don't do chinese, you'll spend so much time at the side of the road truckers will think you're game.

You seen the price of a decent dt125!!
They are just a bit silly.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

As has already been said, Japanese will serve you best. Look around and see which models/marques of the style you like are selling best.
Look carefully before handing over money, as many are likely to have been owned by impecunious teenagers and serviced on a budget (if you're lucky) by a hamfisted idiot with a bicycle repair kit.
If you buy wisely, you should have a fairly trouble free period of ownership and sell it for pretty much what you paid for it :-bd
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

If you want a 125 that shifts an unrestricted yamaha TZR or TDR 125 suzuki RG125 or its eyetie version Cagiva Mito , those little strokers go like sh*t off a shovel
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Mervin wrote: Apr 9th, '21, 21:52 If you want a 125 that shifts an unrestricted yamaha TZR or TDR 125 suzuki RG125 or its eyetie version Cagiva Mito , those little strokers go like sh*t off a shovel
Between rebuilds.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

My advice would echo what's been said about avoiding Chinese bikes - buy cheap, buy twice.
Avoid the temptation (if it's there) to go for a sports bike - an upright naked like a CBF, YBR etc might have fewer cool points outside the Chippy but will be much easier to LEARN TO RIDE on. Visibility, view in mirrors, manoeuvrability, turning circle will all be better on an upright bike. Additionally, a simple naked bike is less appealing to thieves than a fancier sports bike - and get a decent lock and chain so you can lock it TO something solid. Bikes without fairings are cheaper to crash, and you probably will, just saying.
When viewing a bike, take someone along who knows bikes well and will know what to look for - and listen to what they say, don't go all gooey over something that's all shine hiding an ownership nightmare. As mentioned, 125s suffer at the hands of mechanically inept 17 year-olds, and a bike that's been cared for is worth seeking out.
Lastly, don't forget riding gear. You don't need to spend a fortune, buy your helmet new, but everything else can be found second hand to begin with, and don't forget to buy gloves!
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever