Winter gloves

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Winter gloves

Post by Atomic »

Recommendations wanted for winter gloves, please. I like the thinness of my usual gloves but am struggling to find a glove, that is not bulky, that will keep my digits toasty.

I would prefer them to have a bit of armour, (knuckles & scaphoid would be nice), but not a necessity.

I have tried some bulky ones - I don't like them.
Have bought Richa 'Tundra' recently, cheap and warm,but not the finger tips.

What gloves are you people using, particularly the naked bikes?

I don't want more heated grips, bar muffs, hand guards or heated gloves. [-x

Here's hoping.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Winter gloves

Post by billinom8s »

i use bering gloves and jacket, top toasty kit, armoured and dexterous. quite well priced too.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Post by Funky »

Thick ones
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Winter gloves? i don't bother ...... just reach over and turn the climate control up a degree or two ..... :wink: :oops:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

I hate winter gloves too :(

Too bulky and in my experience, not always a whole lot better in keeping you warm than summer gloves (maybe its just me)

What I do use are hiking (?) gloves inside - as an 'inner' glove, these have windproof material on the backs of the hands and does keep off some of the windchill to a degree...hth :)):
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Could always slap some heated grips on.... :-??
Running on MT
Primate
Learner Driver
First Name: Tony

Post by Primate »

I know your not keen but heated grips are good bits of kit.
I still wear my summer gloves with the grips on 75% power and that seems to work fine....
Android
Learner Driver
First Name: Andrew

Post by Android »

Hi Tom
it all depends how far you are going in the cold and at what speed.

Mine for the last couple of years are "Klone Bikers" (water proof) and with commuting 80 miles everyday in all weathers means its a combined effort with heated grips and handle bar muffs (cheapo ones) to arrive at work with toastie hands. To keep the bar muffs from interfering with controls I take the plastic shields off my Barkbuster hand guards leaving the ali frame. I know you bikers worried about your street cred will blanch at the thought of bar muffs but then most of you won't be riding this time of year.
Its was when there was a frost of -5C and then traveling for an hour at the NSL which creates a wind chill factor of -18C. After 40 miles it hurts without the muffs, just heated grips and hand guards my fingers would be numb back to my palm and the pain of them warming up made me feel alive for sure. Around town you would not need so much protection of course.

It's good to have an end to journey towards but it's the journey that matters in the end.
Ursula K LeGuin
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by Atomic »

Thanks for the replies. On my older bike I fit ( for winter) Acerbis handguards and Oxford heated grips.
On the latest addition the dealer recommended Daytona heated grips, and they are absolute pants. No refund - just an offer to fit £180 set free of fitting charge.
I am dubious about the muffs after reading and hearing stories about riders not being able to get their hands out quick enough during a slow speed fall. Apparently the natural reaction is to move your hands out to the side,which you can't do, as with the muffs you need to pull out towards you.
After a lot of research I am going to hopefully get some Knox Zero2 gloves, but need to find somewhere that stocks them rather than guessing at the size, ( I have gloves ranging from s to xl and they all fit).
Cheers for the inputs. :-bd
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Atomic wrote: On the latest addition the dealer recommended Daytona heated grips, and they are absolute pants. No refund - just an offer to fit £180 set free of fitting charge.

Now there's a surprise @ £180 robbing bar stewards

R&G ones are meant to be good
Running on MT
WubWub
Learner Driver
First Name: Mark

Post by WubWub »

I got a pair of Richa Savage WP gloves recently.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/95113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're waterproof, and fairly warm without sacrificing too much feel. The scaphoid protection is nice to have, too.