Need help purchasing tyres for my 1997 Ducati M750

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

AshM750
Learner Driver
First Name: Ashley

Need help purchasing tyres for my 1997 Ducati M750

Post by AshM750 »

Hi all

I am new to the forum and new to biking, I am looking for new tyres for my monster, it states in the book that my front size 120 / 60 R17 ZR and rear is 160 / 60 R17 ZR.

I have a good budget as ile buy the front next month and the rear in may ready for summer(£100 front, £ 150 rear please say if that's not enough). I will be mainly using my bike for social riding and possibly a few long distance rides so ideally a 2 compound Tyre(i think).

I have also heard i can go up a size to improve handling/looks ????? If so whats the sizes to go for as i would prefer lower profile and width ?

I hope this makes sense and i'm in the correct section.

Thanks for reading
Ash
:D
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
ninjajockey
Learner Driver

Re: Need help purchasing tyres for my 1997 Ducati M750

Post by ninjajockey »

Stand by for loads of different opinions on tyre choice. I would say that a good sports touring tyre like a Dunlop roadsmart or Michelin pilot road 3.
My advice would be to stick with the standard size, a 120 front is as big as you want, and the 160 rear is all you need for the power of the bike. as for the aspect ratio, if you reduce it, the bike becomes harder to turn as the profile is flatter. For example in the 90's superbikes usually had a 50 profile rear tyre. Current superbikes now usually run a 60 profile to speed up steering.
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

ninjajockey wrote:Stand by for loads of different opinions on tyre choice. I would say that a good sports touring tyre like a Dunlop roadsmart or Michelin pilot road 3.
My advice would be to stick with the standard size, a 120 front is as big as you want, and the 160 rear is all you need for the power of the bike. as for the aspect ratio, if you reduce it, the bike becomes harder to turn as the profile is flatter. For example in the 90's superbikes usually had a 50 profile rear tyre. Current superbikes now usually run a 60 profile to speed up steering.
Thanks that's makes sense to me. Ile have a look at them tyres. :)
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I recommend that you consider Metzeler tyres. I realise I am a sports bike rider but having used bridgestones and Michelins and not being overly impressed with either the M5's transformed my bike.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

menzies3032 wrote:I recommend that you consider Metzeler tyres. I realise I am a sports bike rider but having used bridgestones and Michelins and not being overly impressed with either the M5's transformed my bike.
Ile have a look, thank you :)
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

AshM750 wrote:
menzies3032 wrote:I recommend that you consider Metzeler tyres. I realise I am a sports bike rider but having used bridgestones and Michelins and not being overly impressed with either the M5's transformed my bike.
Ile have a look, thank you :)
They look promising, I've put them on the wish list.
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Have you had a looked on a Ducati specific forum to see what others are using. Might be a good starting point. Some bikes seem to be better on certain brands of tyres.Other than that, as stated a modern sports touring tyre like Michi Pilot Road 2, or 3 and 4 if you're a wet weather rider or the new Pilot power 3 is getting good reviews for grip and longevity. Roadsmarts/Sportsmarts from Dunlop or Pirelli Angels. Bit of a minefield and everyone has their favourites. By the time you've found the right tyres you'll be upgrading the bike :)):
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

scorcher wrote:Have you had a looked on a Ducati specific forum to see what others are using. Might be a good starting point. Some bikes seem to be better on certain brands of tyres.Other than that, as stated a modern sports touring tyre like Michi Pilot Road 2, or 3 and 4 if you're a wet weather rider or the new Pilot power 3 is getting good reviews for grip and longevity. Roadsmarts/Sportsmarts from Dunlop or Pirelli Angels. Bit of a minefield and everyone has their favourites. By the time you've found the right tyres you'll be upgrading the bike :)):
I have registered with the monster forum, just waiting for replys but I'm trying to get a few ideas from everyone.

Thank you for the advice, pilots keep coming up so that's another on my list. :)
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

AshM750 wrote:
scorcher wrote:Have you had a looked on a Ducati specific forum to see what others are using. Might be a good starting point. Some bikes seem to be better on certain brands of tyres.Other than that, as stated a modern sports touring tyre like Michi Pilot Road 2, or 3 and 4 if you're a wet weather rider or the new Pilot power 3 is getting good reviews for grip and longevity. Roadsmarts/Sportsmarts from Dunlop or Pirelli Angels. Bit of a minefield and everyone has their favourites. By the time you've found the right tyres you'll be upgrading the bike :)):
I have registered with the monster forum, just waiting for replys but I'm trying to get a few ideas from everyone.

Thank you for the advice, pilots keep coming up so that's another on my list. :)
Just make sure you choose the right one! There are .............

Pilot Road, PR2, PR3,PR4. I'd avoid the original as they're a fairly old tyre now. PR2's are alright(8K miles from rear on 1000cc V Twin) if you're not riding in the wet all the time. PR3 or 4 if you're a regular wet rider.

Pilot Powers are single compound.

Pilot Power 2CT are a good tyre and reasonably priced now.

Pilot Power 3 are more expensive and should be a better tyre and the cost will be offset by the fact you'll get more mileage from it over the 2CT.(someone has seen 7 K miles plus on a 1000cc sports bike)
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

scorcher wrote:
AshM750 wrote:

Just make sure you choose the right one! There are .............

Pilot Road, PR2, PR3,PR4. I'd avoid the original as they're a fairly old tyre now. PR2's are alright(8K miles from rear on 1000cc V Twin) if you're not riding in the wet all the time. PR3 or 4 if you're a regular wet rider.

Pilot Powers are single compound.

Pilot Power 2CT are a good tyre and reasonably priced now.

Pilot Power 3 are more expensive and should be a better tyre and the cost will be offset by the fact you'll get more mileage from it over the 2CT.(someone has seen 7 K miles plus on a 1000cc sports bike)
That's sounds great, I have a list to work with now. Ile let you know which ones I go for.

Thanks
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

I use Pilot Sport 2ct's and am happy with them - good grip and life seems OK ....

My son has Metzler z6's on his Hornet, and they seem to have remarkable life and decent grip - good enough for trackdays!

You will get as many preferences as people who respond - at the end of the day you have to decide, but as it's quite an investment I know it's tough ......

What I will say, is you will often save quite a lot of money buying them as a pair. I have found "round and black" on ebay, or "oponeo" via the good old WWW. to do decent prices, though you need to find someone local to fit them.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

TLS-Moose wrote:I use Pilot Sport 2ct's and am happy with them - good grip and life seems OK ....

My son has Metzler z6's on his Hornet, and they seem to have remarkable life and decent grip - good enough for trackdays!

You will get as many preferences as people who respond - at the end of the day you have to decide, but as it's quite an investment I know it's tough ......

What I will say, is you will often save quite a lot of money buying them as a pair. I have found "round and black" on ebay, or "oponeo" via the good old WWW. to do decent prices, though you need to find someone local to fit them.
Thank you for your reply its great advice and ive just been looking on ebay, I think they are the cheapest ive found.
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

Hi all, just thought id update. I have bought some Maxxis Diamonds for the monster. I shall post a small review after the magical mystery tour :D
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750