Rear van seats need fitting, any recommendations?

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

scooby601
Learner Driver

Rear van seats need fitting, any recommendations?

Post by scooby601 »

Recently purchased a van for track transport and to kip in at races. Need to have seats fitted in the back (already have the seats) and am after suggestions of who to use.

Between Plymouth and Exeter is where I'd like to be getting them done.

I do have 1 quote but it seams VERY steep for what is essentially 5 holes needing drilling (tank not in the way so no need to drop) and supplying a few 6mm plates.

Really want it done professionally so I get the important letter incase insurance needs it so may have to just suck up what I've been quoted........
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Rear van seats need fitting, any recommendations?

Post by Ruffian »

What van and what seats are they??
I know Simon at transporter depot in Miller Newton Abbott does allot of conversions etc,
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by Atomic »

If you are going down the route of informing the insurance company, I assume they will need to have 3 point seat belts or lap belts if side facing and be MOT tested. That is why it is not cheap.
If it is just for kipping on that's different. I think there is at least 1 MOT tester on here who will be able to advise.

DVLA will also need informing of passenger increase.
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

boylard100 wrote:What van and what seats are they??
I know Simon at transporter depot in Miller Newton Abbott does allot of conversions etc,
2003 Transit and the seats are 2005 Transit. Came out of the back of a mini bus so have 3 point seat belts attached to the seat, no need for fitting to the pillar.
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Atomic wrote:If you are going down the route of informing the insurance company, I assume they will need to have 3 point seat belts or lap belts if side facing and be MOT tested. That is why it is not cheap.
If it is just for kipping on that's different. I think there is at least 1 MOT tester on here who will be able to advise.

DVLA will also need informing of passenger increase.
All thats needed is 5 holes and spreader plates as its all 1 complete unit unlike other cheap seats available. As far as I know for MOT the plates need to be 6mm thick and a certain size, thats it?

For the insurance they will want to know they have been fitted by someone "competent".

And for the DVLA they will be told once I've decided if its getting a side window, then it will likely be classed as a window van with 5 seats.

I'll happily be corrected on any of this though! Rather find out before I go posting doc off etc.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

GM coach works, between Chudleigh Knighton and Trusham, a few miles off the A38. May not be the cheapest though .....

Might be worth checking with Vospers, may not be as expensive as you think?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away