Paying on the Nail

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Paying on the Nail

Post by MellowYellow »

******* puncture today in my new rear PR4. Thought it was a road-dressing stone but on trying to dig it out, was a nail.
Was in 'Annum so piled into Protyres PDQ.
Michelin are most finnicky about repairs, so had to have a new one.

They were very busy but switched a chappy over from cars to do it there and then as I was desperate.

Many thanks Protyre. Image
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Andy900
Learner Driver
First Name: Andy

Re: Paying on the Nail

Post by Andy900 »

Was it free ? Did you have some sort of guarantee ? I have just fitted a PR4 to the back of mine.
If you don't ask, you don't get !

Andy.

MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Free ??? I should be so lucky my life even...Bang goes my self-present for Xmas !!

Avon do a guarantee thing for tyres wrecked within x mm of tread wear.

:ymsick:
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

I assume you still have the tyre? Where was the puncture? I'd try a couple of other places and see if they can repair it. Its all too easy for places to say a (bike) tyre can't be repaired "but we do have one of the correct size and type we can fit sir ....." ProTyre are one of the worst for that around here.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

National did the same to me once, 'sorry can only do car tyre repairs, but have a NEW one right here' ;) ...

Went to my local bike dealer and he stuck a repair in with no quibbles.

To be fair to Mellow though, if you're stuck with a flat and you have no option for shopping around, its good that the tyre place took someone off a job to get him sorted and back on the road. Good customer service is very rare these days :-bd .
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

The nail had gone in at a steep angle. The fitter showed me the printed guidelines from Michelin, and told me that had the hole been straight (or nearly so) he could / would have repaired it.
The mushroom needs to sit flat onto the tyre wall.
dchurch1604
Learner Driver
First Name: Darren

Post by dchurch1604 »

I've used protyre before they are pretty good, They got me out of a fix after a puncture.

They have repaired tyres for me, as Mellow says as long as it's straight enough they can do it, when they did mine they just gave me severe warnings that it should be a new one.

The guys that fit bike tyres are bikers, so I was told, be carefull but it should be ok.....with a little wink, and he wasn't coming onto me.....I hope Lol

Darren
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Now I've got a puncture in that one. Bloody expensive hobby this !!
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Was deemed repairable. Got it plugged, done 200 miles since, no loss of pressure, no other cause for concern. :)):