Need Some Leathers! Any Ideas???

this is a place to list your places of recommended shops/dealers/sites/links etc. No banter please, just details and your experiences...

Moderator: Staff

AshM750
Learner Driver
First Name: Ashley

Need Some Leathers! Any Ideas???

Post by AshM750 »

Hi all,

Im looking for some 2 piece leathers now ive got my new bike (black, red and white), I have about £350 to spend I dont mind buying used, I have been looking at RST but I wouldnt mind something different. I would really like a named brand, eBay is good but never really know what your getting on the used market.

Anyone have any recommendations people that make them or even a good cheap dealer?

Really appreciate the help.

Regards
Ash
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Need Some Leathers! Any Ideas???

Post by billinom8s »

Buy used and put the spare towards Portimao.

I have RST one piece and Spyke/Wolf two piece zip together.

Have had no problems with any of them and they are all a good few years old.

Remember when trying jackets on to have your back protector with you as can get a bit cramped in a suit with two in there.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

I would love to go Portimao but I'm unsure if I can get the Time off yet. I will try find out next week.

Did you have to go one size up on the RSTs?
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Nope, I bought slightly smaller then went to see Gerry so now they are made to measure.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

Oh OK then, ile have another look on ebay again. I've missed out on a couple of good sets but Im trying to find a matching colour to the bike.
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
CharlieChan
Learner Driver
First Name: Keith
Location: Currently Spain, summers in the UK Dawlish and Bath

Post by CharlieChan »

In my opinion buying leathers off eBay is a nightmare, buying anywhere without the ability to try before you buy is a nightmare. The same size that fits well in one make will fit terribly in another. So don't pay over the odds and be prepared to sell them on again when they don't fit just so.

CC
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

CharlieChan wrote:In my opinion buying leathers off eBay is a nightmare, buying anywhere without the ability to try before you buy is a nightmare. The same size that fits well in one make will fit terribly in another. So don't pay over the odds and be prepared to sell them on again when they don't fit just so.

CC
If buying secondhand you should also beware of damage/scuffs from previous owners mishaps, the condition of stitching, and what the "stretchy" bits are like.

J&S Accessories are good for old-stock leathers at bargain prices - look them up online and see where the nearest store is to you. CMS in Exeter have a good stock downstairs and some bargains upstairs.

Leathers are something I personally find best tried before purchase - one manufacturers sizing and body shape is not necessarily the same as another ...... Body length, arm length, etc., can all be somewhat variable. ;)
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

Thanks, I may go to CMS next weekend and have a look. Does anyone have any experiance with BKS leathers?
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

BKS bespoke handmade leathers, or BKS leathers as in the old "off the peg" type made by Belstaff back in the James Toseland days?

The former are very expensive, but very well (hand) made, to your own measurements.

The latter, still good quality, were mass produced at a medium to premium price level.

I know people who have the former, and swear by them. They are as good (if not better) today than when first purchased. I have the latter, purchased through J&S in Plymouth, when they purchased all the old Belstaff stock after they went bankrupt. I paid a fraction of the original ticket price. They are also very good quality, excellently made, but I had to get some adjustments made :ymblushing:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

I found a company called fc-moto in Germany. They were significantly cheaper than the uk. I don't mind paying a few quid more but they offered a Furygan leather jacket for over £100 less than anywhere in the UK.

RST have a good rep for the price too.
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

That FC MOTO is very good, im thinking of going Alpinestars but it is over budget and I need boots too. :-?
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

Right ok everyone I ended up buying the matching trouser to my RICHA Imola jacket (all black), there not match to my bike but they only cost me £150. I could have spent a small fortune but I feel better saving some money. Now ive got a set of leathers for the summer, Just need some boots now.
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Just to put in my 2 pence to the conversation I have got a set of Frank Thomas titanium leathers. I always thought that they were not that good until I got them resized to fit me by Gerry.

Then found out the leather was really thick (important should you be skidding down the road, and don't be fooled by expensive kangaroo thin leather being better it's not its just more expensive) so think that Gerry broke 3 leather needles to get it re stitched.

Match this to leathers that fit you and you have got real protection.

Don't just buy a brand.... by thick leather and a suit that fits you properly. Don't be put off by the badge or the price.

By the way, brand new 5 years ago my leathers were £80 for trousers and £120 for jacket then £100 with Gerry for a total rebuild and refit specific to me. 5 years on and 1 skid down a track and they are still going strong.

By the way what ever you buy get yourself a tub of renapur you wont regret it

http://www.renapur.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
AshM750
Learner Driver

Post by AshM750 »

Thanks, ile get myself some of that renapur :wink:
1997 Ducati Monster M750
2001 Suzuki GSXR750
Jimbo04zx10r
Learner Driver
First Name: James

Post by Jimbo04zx10r »

Just to poke my nose in.

When I got my leathers I spent hours trying sets on and making sure the fitted in the right place's. if you are comfortable in them while on and off the bike then those are the one's all leathers now a days are of similar quality (named brands) so it really doesn't matter on brand names.

If you are comfortable in them then it allows you to fully concentrate on the road not you leathers pinching or rubbing.

Make sure you take all your normal riding gear like back protector, boots, clothes you wear under your leathers, gloves and helmet as these can affect how the leathers fit.

Cheer
Electronic's keeps the boys upright, the men keep it on the knee slider :)