Get Off!!

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
Shooey
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Get Off!!

Post by Shooey »

Avoid BP filling station at Turks Head Honiton!!

After waiting for 2 minutes for matey to “press the button” to allow me to fuel up, he marches over in his high vis to tell me “you have to get off your bike before we are allowed to let you put fuel into your bike”

?????? REALLY ???????

That is a first!!!!

Tesco filling station just a few meters up the road, self service pump - no testicles to put up with!!!! Highly recommended!!
Shooey
Learner Driver

Re: Get Off!!

Post by Shooey »

I did put b o l l o x but somehow it auto corrects to: testicles!! Brilliant!!
chr1s
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by chr1s »

Hmmm, I was there last week and I had to wait at least 2 mins for the pump to be activated as well, but I wasn't even sat on the bike...i'm gonna try them again and see what happens :!!
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I have been told to get off my bike at Tesco in Chard, I was doing the "pay at pump" so they just shouted at me over the PA.
It's a safety requirement apparently, and you can kind of understand it. If there was a flashover you'd panic and might tip the bike over. If the bike is on it's stand (with you not on it) the bike would stay upright whilst you run away. :)):

Getting off your bike isn't a big deal, having to remove your helmet is, thankfully you don't have too for pay at pump type stations.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Shooey
Learner Driver

Post by Shooey »

I w
Jug_Inspector wrote: Jul 13th, '18, 07:56 I have been told to get off my bike at Tesco in Chard, I was doing the "pay at pump" so they just shouted at me over the PA.
It's a safety requirement apparently, and you can kind of understand it. If there was a flashover you'd panic and might tip the bike over. If the bike is on it's stand (with you not on it) the bike would stay upright whilst you run away. :)):

Getting off your bike isn't a big deal, having to remove your helmet is, thankfully you don't have too for pay at pump type stations.
I want to put as much fuel in as possible! With bike on side stand I can’t get as much in as if I was sat on it upright! And I wouldn’t attempt holding the bike one handed and fuel hose in other!!

I want to get this off my chest and have a rant!!! Wasn’t looking for ‘justification’ or H&S point of view!! Just a rant!!!
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

ah, apologies... I mistook you for a "thinking man" and not a "yelling at squirrels man"... :)):
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

Apparently Shell assistants have been told that this is "to avoid fuel spilling onto hot parts of the motorcycle, which we are aware have caused fires and serious burns to the customers in the past" - https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =3&t=67342 this may give you an idea of the potential problem, I guess his chances of having kids have been cooked - https://youtu.be/qrCkExl_PdY #-o
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Standing beside a bike while you fuel it I can understand - its when they require you to remove your lid (with nowhere to put it down that's clean/safe) and despite approaching a cashier with a £20 note in my hand, I got a right telling off!

So.….I stand at the counter, remove my lid politely, take out my earplugs and find the ickle pouch for them, mumble something like "oooh hang on, I *think* I have the right money" (I lied...its the £20 or nothing frankly) wait for change and receipt, then take my absolute time with ear plugs, lid, gloves, putting wallet away, clipping on bumbag nonsense, taking glove off again so I can zip up jacket and check Velcro, then put glove back on, adjust Velcro once again......and bid them a very happy afternoon!
I'm not sure many drive-offs actually approach a kiosk branding money tbh!!!! hahahaha
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

The trick is this.
When they ask you to remove your lid, ask them if they would ask a lady to remove her burka?
Watch them squirm and when they say no just ask what the difference is.

It's down to the fact that the believe it stops rideaways as with no lid on you can be identified.

Same thing for sitting on your bike, funnily enough, they don't ask a driver to get out of the car if the passenger is filling up with fuel.

It's because as motorcyclists we are all obviously going to ride off without paying on our bikes, with our safety kit on that cost hundreds if not thousands combined over a matter of £16.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Answer is.......get an electric bike :D
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Could carry a little block of wood on your bike somewhere, that way you could chock the side stand on the forecourt to level your bike, and it would enable you to get that extra 50p of fuel in.
Shooey
Learner Driver

Post by Shooey »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Jul 14th, '18, 08:08 Could carry a little block of wood on your bike somewhere, that way you could chock the side stand on the forecourt to level your bike, and it would enable you to get that extra 50p of fuel in.
Come on now .... now your just being a nob!

It’s not usual to to be asked to get off your bike. It was my first and I didn’t like it, H&S or not!! Rant over!!
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

:)):