Cat C F%#€ OFF

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
Love6060
Learner Driver
First Name: Andy

Cat C F%#€ OFF

Post by Love6060 »

So just had a pay out from insurance, third party claimed liability.
And they reckon my bike to be worth £1500 before he accident (bandit 600 2000 plate done 20k)
Only damage was the undertray and an indicator.

My underwriters quoted £600 to repair, now I might not of done well at school but even I know that's not 75% and now I can't sell the bike for what it's worth :evil:

Now I had to claim because she could not afford to repair both bike and her car which was worse off thanks to my tires ;)

And I also had a really bad back injury to go with it.

What's the point in not having my bike for 2 months just to be told fix it yourself.
Bloody winds me up.
'I AM IRONMAN'
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Cat C F%#€ OFF

Post by billinom8s »

if you get the work done and approved i think y ou can get the C removed.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Love6060
Learner Driver

Post by Love6060 »

That deserves an investigation! Didn't not know that! :D
'I AM IRONMAN'
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

here you go

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/articles/in ... categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-bd :|
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

I don't think it ever gets fully removed, (will always have a cat c marker against the bike) but only gets it lifted so can go back on the road.

It's awkward as if it's a cat c damaged then it is in a written off state and should not be on the road. Once repaired and log book reapplied for (or vic checked for cars) then it gets lifted and becomes road worthy again.

It can get a grey area quite quickly.
Sometimes it is even written on the log book that vehicle has been damaged beyond economical repair.

The other thing is now to the insurance if anything did happen in future and it got written off again they can deem it to only be worth 75% of market value due to being on the "register" already
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

I don't understand your issue.

You will have been offered a settlement value, which you will have negotiated to ensure it accurately reflects the value of the machine pre-accident. As it is a third party claim, they have no direct right to keep the machine, so they will have offered a "total loss" settlement with a stated value for the salvage of the machine. A figure which you will also have discussed/negotiated with them.

So you've still got your original bike, and a settlement cheque somewhere in the region of £1100-1200 (based on around 20% salvage value). You buy your under-tray and indicator via eBay (£100 tops).

You've now still got a bike worth at least £1000-1100, and still got over £1k of insurance money left, so around £2100 net asset value on a machine originally valued at £1500. Realistically, as few people get hpi checks on machines of such low (comparative) value, you could ask the full £1500 and see what happens.

How have you lost out, exactly? You could always have just accepted their full offer of £1500, given them the bike, and walked away .......

Your personal injury, loss of use (not claiming for a hire bike?), etc., will be subject to a separate claim?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Andy900
Learner Driver

Post by Andy900 »

Taken from ZX9 forum "Write offs, the truth about cat b's etc

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _to_the_ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From a freedom of information request.

It seems these categories are a code of practice and not law. Theres nothing to stop you from putting them back on the road!

Eye opener for me.

Has this been posted before? I searched but couldn't find anything."

For personal injury : After writing off my low mileage (rare blue) F2p (June 2014) Jools advised me to get in touch with this company well, I knew it would take a while, but RESULT!! getting the pay out next week, bit more than I expected, but can only thank Jools for the recommendation.

I would highly recommend them to anyone else, most of their work is within he M25, but they took my case no problem, no fees, they claim that from the other side.
If you don't ask, you don't get !

Andy.

graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

TLS-Moose wrote:I don't understand your issue.

You will have been offered a settlement value, which you will have negotiated to ensure it accurately reflects the value of the machine pre-accident. As it is a third party claim, they have no direct right to keep the machine, so they will have offered a "total loss" settlement with a stated value for the salvage of the machine. A figure which you will also have discussed/negotiated with them.

So you've still got your original bike, and a settlement cheque somewhere in the region of £1100-1200 (based on around 20% salvage value). You buy your under-tray and indicator via eBay (£100 tops).

You've now still got a bike worth at least £1000-1100, and still got over £1k of insurance money left, so around £2100 net asset value on a machine originally valued at £1500. Realistically, as few people get hpi checks on machines of such low (comparative) value, you could ask the full £1500 and see what happens.

How have you lost out, exactly? You could always have just accepted their full offer of £1500, given them the bike, and walked away .......

Your personal injury, loss of use (not claiming for a hire bike?), etc., will be subject to a separate claim?
This entirely, had exactly the same happen to me with an EXUP - settlement less salvage value as dealing with TP insurers. Accepted the bike was never going to be worth the same even after I'd fixed it but the balance in settlement was kept to one side for when it was sold.

Whilst the repairs are £600, the insurers are probably waiting for you or your accident management company to spring 2 weeks worth of bike hire whilst yours is being repaired at £50-£100 per day - in those circumstances it's more economic to write off and finalise the matter.
Love6060
Learner Driver

Post by Love6060 »

Hum just reading through these posts and am now wondering if I should have informed DVLA.
Better ring them later in the week.

Thanks for the replies.
And I get I am up quite a few pennies but I had just stripped and rebuilt the bike 1 month before the accident so it's work I really didn't want. I would have preferred my insurance to rectify the small problems.

But hey such is life bike should be on the road in a few weeks just waiting on an undertray/tail tidy.
'I AM IRONMAN'