Tiverton Motorcycles - Response to complaint -Update

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Re: Tiverton Motorcycles - Response to customer complaint

Post by scorcher »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Obviously there's been previous contact between you/Simon and TM and we don't how well that went (or didn't go). Presumably Simon went back for a man to man chat about the problems first? Or did he leave on bad terms when the bike was picked up.?
Even though its a personal E-Mail, its obviously rubbed them up the wrong way having the law firm credentials at the foot of the Emails and if it was trying to add weight to your complaint it seems to have had a bit of a negative effect (plus the fact you both want to go and talk to them as if you're acting as his brief)

From that,I can sort of understand their stance, but as always, its easier to try and sort problems at the lowest level (for both parties ) before it gets ugly.

Good luck anyway (whatever the full story is!)
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

+1
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Jeez, if you didn't have bad luck Si, you'd have no luck :-o . Does seem a bit over defensive of TM to suggest Trading Standards rather than try to calm a situation and accept a face to face meeting, which could easily end with an amicable resolution and a reputation intact if not improved??

I think they will probably regret this, Kim, give em' hell..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Tiverton Motorcycles - Response to complaint -Update

Post by billinom8s »

more to come....
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
LadyG
Learner Driver
First Name: Kim

Post by LadyG »

Morning all..! Thought I would add a quick update to this post. I'm aware that there has been a level of surprise about this complaint - and some thought that 'it can't be that bad, surely..?' - so I thought I would share with you the list of 29 faults as submitted to Tiverton Motorcycles. Tiverton Motorcycles have yet to provide a substantive response, other than a 'see you in court' message.

Fault list for Tiverton Motorcycles in respect of Simon Rolls' R1 Track Bike
1. Throttle assembly in wrong place and loose
2. Coolant reservoir overflow empty
3. Bolt missing to fit air box to the frame
4. Rear brake reservoir loose and low on fluid, with excess fluid on the master cylinder and rear-set
5. Overfilled with oil (filled over the sight glass)
6. No breather lines attached to fuel tank – allowing overflow from fuel tank to run onto the engine
7. Oil breather pipe from engine extended with another pipe and redirected to vent over the rear tyre
8. No breathers attached to airbox
9. Lower engine mount bolt lose
10. Radiator level low (2/3 full)
11. Bike filthy and has intermittent starting issue (starting issue found to be due to sticking starter relay and corroded pins – suggest this is as a result of amount of time at garage and poor storage conditions – replacement relay at a cost of £35.99)
12. Full scope of works not completed:
a. Requested slotted sprockets for cams to be fitted – not done
b. Requested for cams being dialled in – not done
c. Requested for manual cam chain adjuster fitting – not done
d. Requested for cam chain to be replaced – no evidence to say it had been done
13. I had to call datatool to find out how to bypass the alarm because it had been left so the battery had died on both the bike and the alarm. I had emailed through the wakeup procedure to you using your online (website) enquiry form but you failed to use it – resulting in the need to bypass the alarm. (When I arrived on Tuesday to collect the bike, I was told the instructions I had provided over the phone to Jam 4-5 days previously bypass didn’t work . When I looked at it, the alarm circuit board was still attached, making the bypass useless. Once the board was removed, bypass worked.)

Faults identified subsequent to letter of complaint dated 7 April 2016
14. Coolant overflow pipe directed through to rear of bike to run out in front of rear tyre
15. Speedo reader smashed and then taped up to hide it
16. Shorter speedo feed cable? Possibly from an R7 (as Jam swapped to the cable from the R1 to an R7 to confirm a fault on the R7 while it was in the workshop)
17. Coolant leak from top of engine pipe, O ring sliced
18. Side stand bracket lose
19. Bent radiator bracket
20. Radiator hoses lose such that when pressure built up they came loose and sprayed hot coolant over me and the bike
21. Exhaust bracket bent – can off to one side
22. Error code, 7500, EXUP valve showing. The valve had not been set to neutral position, and there was no cover over the valve outer thus exposing the cables and mechanism. Have had to buy a replacement. There were bolts missing too – the threads were all clean – therefore it is clear the parts were simply not refitted after bike reassembly
23. Bolt missing from rear of EXUP valve – would have been removed to knock out EXUP valve
24. Engine oil appears to be second hand (engine was dry when it was dropped off) – engine oil and filters have had to be replaced – at a cost of £38.09
25. Oil breather pipe kinked at engine end
26. Push rivets missing from waterproof covering and coil pack – bits just put back in anyway
27. Sump plug had an old crush washer and PTFE tape on it instead of a new washer
28. Reused (rather than replaced) gaskets and smeared everything with grey gasket sealant instead of blue (different operating conditions)
29. Used copperslip on engine bolts whereas should have used never-seize (copperslip has lower melting point)
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

To add further into this I can vouch for some of the faults which were identified above as was available to help rectify some of the faults that were done.

I had to admit was interested as have used Tiverton motorcycles before and was happy with the service. But the faults which were found which some cannot be believed as stated and knew this was a track bike which gets ridden in anger, the overflows and expansion aimed directly at the rear tyre could have been lethal in certain circumstances.

Luckily was found before the track day 2 days after!!

As it went in for certain jobs as well as a refresh and some jobs weren't carried out it puts a question of doubt into your minds of what actually got completed as no photographic evidence or part invoices were supplied onto Simon either.

Some of the above faults are minor items and yes in a busy workshop some things are overlooked. But to have this many items is just a concern.

If it was anyone else then could have caused further damage,
overheating with coolant leaks and loose pipes or overfull oil causing oil pressure/ crank case pressure problems.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
R6 STU
Learner Driver

Post by R6 STU »

Has any money changed hands?
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

yes
KTM 990 superduke R,
R6 STU
Learner Driver

Post by R6 STU »

BuGgEr
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Yes
KTM 990 superduke R,
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Man, that's a comprehensive list of [censored] ups! Like has been said, a few lose bolts or wrong grease, whilst not good, can be understood, but not doing specific jobs the 'customer' has asked to be done is just BAD! If that was my business I would be firing the individual concerned and grovelling to Si, whilst putting every free mechanic on to the bike and making sure it was done to the highest standard.

I know its a bit crass, but maybe in this case you would be justified in going to the TV show Watchdog ( or whatever is now called) to give them a huge case of bad publicity. I'm disgusted and furious for you Si. :evil:
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

LadyG wrote:
Fault list for Tiverton Motorcycles in respect of Simon Rolls' R1 Track Bike
1. Throttle assembly in wrong place and loose
2. Coolant reservoir overflow empty
3. Bolt missing to fit air box to the frame
4. Rear brake reservoir loose and low on fluid, with excess fluid on the master cylinder and rear-set
5. Overfilled with oil (filled over the sight glass)
6. No breather lines attached to fuel tank – allowing overflow from fuel tank to run onto the engine
7. Oil breather pipe from engine extended with another pipe and redirected to vent over the rear tyre
8. No breathers attached to airbox
9. Lower engine mount bolt lose
10. Radiator level low (2/3 full)
11. Bike filthy and has intermittent starting issue (starting issue found to be due to sticking starter relay and corroded pins – suggest this is as a result of amount of time at garage and poor storage conditions – replacement relay at a cost of £35.99)
12. Full scope of works not completed:
a. Requested slotted sprockets for cams to be fitted – not done
b. Requested for cams being dialled in – not done
c. Requested for manual cam chain adjuster fitting – not done
d. Requested for cam chain to be replaced – no evidence to say it had been done
13. I had to call datatool to find out how to bypass the alarm because it had been left so the battery had died on both the bike and the alarm. I had emailed through the wakeup procedure to you using your online (website) enquiry form but you failed to use it – resulting in the need to bypass the alarm. (When I arrived on Tuesday to collect the bike, I was told the instructions I had provided over the phone to Jam 4-5 days previously bypass didn’t work . When I looked at it, the alarm circuit board was still attached, making the bypass useless. Once the board was removed, bypass worked.)

Faults identified subsequent to letter of complaint dated 7 April 2016
14. Coolant overflow pipe directed through to rear of bike to run out in front of rear tyre
15. Speedo reader smashed and then taped up to hide it
16. Shorter speedo feed cable? Possibly from an R7 (as Jam swapped to the cable from the R1 to an R7 to confirm a fault on the R7 while it was in the workshop)
17. Coolant leak from top of engine pipe, O ring sliced
18. Side stand bracket lose
19. Bent radiator bracket
20. Radiator hoses lose such that when pressure built up they came loose and sprayed hot coolant over me and the bike
21. Exhaust bracket bent – can off to one side
22. Error code, 7500, EXUP valve showing. The valve had not been set to neutral position, and there was no cover over the valve outer thus exposing the cables and mechanism. Have had to buy a replacement. There were bolts missing too – the threads were all clean – therefore it is clear the parts were simply not refitted after bike reassembly
23. Bolt missing from rear of EXUP valve – would have been removed to knock out EXUP valve
24. Engine oil appears to be second hand (engine was dry when it was dropped off) – engine oil and filters have had to be replaced – at a cost of £38.09
25. Oil breather pipe kinked at engine end
26. Push rivets missing from waterproof covering and coil pack – bits just put back in anyway
27. Sump plug had an old crush washer and PTFE tape on it instead of a new washer
28. Reused (rather than replaced) gaskets and smeared everything with grey gasket sealant instead of blue (different operating conditions)
29. Used copperslip on engine bolts whereas should have used never-seize (copperslip has lower melting point)
Apart from that, it was OK though? :)):
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

I have bought spares or repairs bikes with less faults than that
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

I did have to spend a few days and about another £100 to get it useable.
KTM 990 superduke R,
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

billinom8s wrote:I did have to spend a few days and about another £100 to get it useable.
I'll probably go against the grain here but for the sake of £100, you have learnt a valuable lesson (not to use these guys again), move on and enjoy the bike this summer.

Whilst it would be nice to 'win', it won't be worth the stress involved for both of you pursuing this, you've made your point on here and your biggest satisfaction is taking your custom elsewhere and justifiably being able to mention your bad experience to anyone else who may ask for recomendation.

The only winners otherwise will be those offering their legal services.

Bad news to hear it all the same but life goes on & just enjoy it.