Cowboy builders

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Re: Cowboy builders

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

Moley551 wrote:Just off to another, cock up job, Plumber hasn't followed the simple setup instructions, because they are lazy, too dim, or haven't got the right gear.
Hope your not tarring us all with the same brush !!!
Tractorwackyracer
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

Glennyb wrote:"You can't trade as an electrician unless you are qualified and are proven to at least have the knowledge required"

When we bought our house we got a sparky in as the house (repo) needed a rewire, got the sparky in, paid a small fortune, then noticed issues....long story short our sparky wasn't NICEIC registered, let it lapse 10 months before taking our job, so they "can" trade. NICEIC couldn't give a stuff about the fact he was using their logos etc as he "wasn't a member".......Trading standards did follow it through and he got his wrists slapped (no fine or anything) and to this day is still trading......oh and he charged us VAT even though he wasn't VAT registered.

Needless to say we are a bit more careful now on who we hire for jobs.
So even the regulation we have now is too lax. To me that's reason enough to tighten up across the board not give up altogether.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Moley551
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Moley551 »

Tractorwackyracer wrote:
Moley551 wrote:Just off to another, cock up job, Plumber hasn't followed the simple setup instructions, because they are lazy, too dim, or haven't got the right gear.
Definitely not, there's a small and often quite loud number that like to preach, I don't go to the good ones apart from the odd service or genuine failure, It's nice when you meet a gobby c@#t in the merchants, and you can tell them what they didn't do properly. I had a phone call from a guy doing a breakdown, he was asking me if I thought it was the PCB, I said have you checked the fuse? his reply was "I haven't got anything to check a fuse" (dead pump) #-o
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

do they call you moley cause you have to keep you head down to stop people trying to exterminate you. :)):
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Moley551
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Moley551 »

No! I'm Mr Nice Guy, always helpful, this thread was a small vent!!......I get on well with 99.9% of my fellow Boiler buddies...I expect all areas have the Loud, opinionated few with an elevated ego.....I've got pictures :lol:
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Moley551 wrote:
Tractorwackyracer wrote:
Definitely not, there's a small and often quite loud number that like to preach, I don't go to the good ones apart from the odd service or genuine failure, It's nice when you meet a gobby c@#t in the merchants, and you can tell them what they didn't do properly. I had a phone call from a guy doing a breakdown, he was asking me if I thought it was the PCB, I said have you checked the fuse? his reply was "I haven't got anything to check a fuse" (dead pump) #-o
Unfortunately you get this in all trades, but some times its easier to point the finger than admit there wrong.

It's great though when it happen's. I'm an mot tester testing work completed by other mechanics, other dealerships and have a go heroes. And the amount of stuff that is sub par/dangerous is just unreal.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"