Bike to bike radio using autocom & motorla

Introduce yourself and meet your fellow riders. Please don't forget to mention how you found us.
Pitbull150
Learner Driver
First Name: Jason

Bike to bike radio using autocom & motorla

Post by Pitbull150 »

Hi All,
Just joined SWB today and I hope someone might be able to offer some assistance with bike to bike comms using Motorola TLKR 80 radios being run through autocom systems.

Systems being used are on my KTM 950 Adventure S, Autocom Active plus kit 200 with Motorola TLKR 80 radio. The radio is connected to the autocom using the correct autocom lead plugged into the large multi plug connecter on the autocom system.

The system is exactly the same radio and lead etc on my mates triumph but he is using the SPA Kit 2.

I have read all the instructions ref setting up the VOX controls on both the radios and the autocom units. They trouble we have is that they work fine if we are within 10ft of each other, but when we ride and are separated by any distance even 50ft or so they don't work and we both keep getting a constant bleep through the headsets.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions, we are touring into France in 6 weeks and need bike to bike comms, also we both have Garmin zumo 590 & 595 connected into the autocom systems and these work fine, tried switching these off as we thought they might conflict and the radios are no different.

Thanks for any help you may offer

Jason
Eire_biker
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Re: Bike to bike radio using autocom & motorla

Post by Eire_biker »

Hey..
Although this is probably the wrong area of the forum to post this question I thought id give my thoughts.
To me it sounds like your not connected through your radios but through a bluetooth link.. This would answer why there is such a short range, and the beeping letting you know your out of range and the system is looking to reconnect.
While I don't know the autocom setup at all, it does happen on other setups. Maybe go back through the manual and ensure you are indeed using the Motorola radios to communicate through rather than a Bluetooth connection. That's all I can think of.