New guy plymouth ecu-tuning

Introduce yourself and meet your fellow riders. Please don't forget to mention how you found us.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: New guy plymouth ecu-tuning

Post by billinom8s »

Hilltop has been going for years and MJTuning seems busy
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

TLS-Moose wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 13:29 Hello! "Teapot"??
I don't get the Teapot reference either but I think this is the video of the GSXR1000 having the treatment.

The comment section looks a bit lively but nice to see Goeff chiming in occasionally to defend his company.
I was sceptical too but the feedback on the KTM forum was generally positive so I gave it go, and I'm pleased with the outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT2t2mtecUY
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 09:46
TLS-Moose wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 13:29 Hello! "Teapot"??
I don't get the Teapot reference either but I think this is the video of the GSXR1000 having the treatment.

The comment section looks a bit lively but nice to see Goeff chiming in occasionally to defend his company.
I was sceptical too but the feedback on the KTM forum was generally positive so I gave it go, and I'm pleased with the outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT2t2mtecUY
Thanks for that! Explains a bit more about how it works - seems to be basically power commander-esque software on a (no doubt hidden) partition within the ecu. Interesting to note the comments about the bike running lean, but still doesn't explain how it "self learns" without using an O2 sensor

Edit - the '17 Gixxer does have an O2 sensor, which probably explains the self learn - does the katoom, Jug? :-bd

Further Edit - just read the comments section on YouTube. Interesting. I'm no computer expert, so can't say what is/isn't bullsh** ..... But some are clearly rather mean as most owners seem happy with the result, which is what matters. And let's face it, if you want a successful business, you've got to be a salesman too, haven't you 8)
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Yes, it has one for each cylinder.

From chatting to Goeff I think the program is not so much self-learning, well not as I would think a self learning system would work. There is no teaching process or period of riding for it to learn. It just overrides the stock map it seems. It takes inputs from the bike and then decides what the fuelling should be, maybe this system has some self adjusting capability, I certainly hope it does.

The stock Lambda sensors are still used but not for sensing O2 levels. Goeff explained that he uses them to sense EGT.
I was very sceptical when I heard this but after a little googling on how narrow band O2 sensors work I could see that sure enough, when at low AF ratios their voltage output is constantly high but does change as they get hotter, so they could be used to keep and eye on EGT, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be.
I suppose that if the program ever does accidentally lean the mixture too much the sensors output will snap low and the program will know instantly it's just screwed up, so by leaving the sensors in there you still have protection against over lean running, that is if the software is programmed to react to that.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

apparently 'teapot' is a person, he's a blogger from Performance Bike magazine.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

MJTuning wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 23:17
TLS-Moose wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 17:02
MJTuning wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 13:46 Thanks for the query we can get into most ECUs for fuel injected motorcycles as long as I have a plug which will get me into the obd port. If I can’t access it I can put you in touch with HQ and they can definitely flash your ecu by accessing directly. You would just need to go there or send your ecu to them. Unfortunately on the dyno side there isn’t one we currently have down here but we only use dynos for power print outs we don’t need synod for the set ups as the program is automatically tuning on the fly so is much more advanced than just a set op on a dyno. But again if a power print out is what you want I can put ou I touch with HQ and they can arrange a dyno day with you
Hmm ...... Re-maps without a Dyno? How do you check a/f ratios (given neither of mine run lambda sensors)? I thought "remapping by post" was the preserve of diesels, which can't run lean .....
The A/F ratios adjust automatically with the programme that we put into the empty space. Think of it as a powercomander built into your ecu with a auto tune set up. As for lamber sensors no bike runs wide band sensors which are the only ones that can check A/F ratios most modern bikes only have narrow band sensors which only check for carbon in the exhaust. Go to the website www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk and this might give you more of an idea as to what we do.

Cool well that answered some of my questions to be fair.
So in essence it is a flash on the ecu to get it to run closer to optimum levels rather than the safe levels that the manufacturer states.
I can see this being useful for some vehicles with an aftermarket system fitted as can adjust the feeling to suit without a full map,

Unfortunately (for me at least) I wouldn't let anyone map/setup a petrol engine if they are not listening for detonation.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
chr1s
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by chr1s »

​Teapotone went round the world on a gixxer 1000, has a growing YouTube channel, organises small bike tours with a difference, and is an all round top fella. He doesn’t work for PB though, Si.

I went away to the Picos last year with him and 3 other lads and he made 3 videos of it. His editing skills are awesome but I know zilch about that stuff. He has plenty of other vids on there too.
https://youtu.be/5gBWVR7IdUg

As for Hilltop and his services, I know little except Bruce (teapotone) took his GS there and is very happy.....My thoughts on the matter are the same as TLS-Moose... ;)
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I'm still old school - experienced dyno operator with a wide band lambda up the bikes poop chute to set the AFR, and if needed optimise the timing has always worked for me to get the best out of each individual bike.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Hello and welcome to the site.
Out of interest...... what would the cost be to flash and set up a 2011 blade?
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Had mine mapped by woolwich, he didnt have to touch in the end as its already race mapped by kawasaki it turned out so it mapped one of the other power modes to give me an option of 2 high power modes
He doesnt ise dyno either as everthing he needs is on the ecu and only does dyno if customer wants a print out
Jay
SWB Subscriber

Post by Jay »

Bullet wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 00:07 Had mine mapped by woolwich, he didnt have to touch in the end as its already race mapped by kawasaki it turned out so it mapped one of the other power modes to give me an option of 2 high power modes
He doesnt ise dyno either as everthing he needs is on the ecu and only does dyno if customer wants a print out
Defo wanna get my ECU mapped .... hopefully he will see this?
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Jay wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 16:38
Message Si, I believe he has his contact details.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jay
SWB Subscriber

Post by Jay »

TLS-Moose wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 16:44
Jay wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 16:38
Message Si, I believe he has his contact details.
Thanks Moose :ymapplause:
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A