Hi guys and girls

Introduce yourself and meet your fellow riders. Please don't forget to mention how you found us.
Paulpen
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Hi guys and girls

Post by Paulpen »

Nice to find a bike forum with more of a local feeling :D

As you can guess by the username im Paul :lol:

Did my CBT just under two years ago so I could see what this two wheeled thing is all about then broke my hand a week or so later so did nothing for a year. Spent the last year riding a 2011 Honda CBF125 as a commuter (only 6 miles a day) which I enjoyed so did my DAS last week and can now start to look at bikes with a bit more poke for the summer.

Coming from the car world I dont really know anyone thats into bikes or anything about bikes so its quite a steep learning curve coming into it all !

Anyway - happy to join the forum and hopfully meet some of you in person at some point :-h
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Hi guys and girls

Post by billinom8s »

Hi Paul, welcome to swb. Good to see you're making the jump to bigger bikes, there will be plenty of views and info available to you when you want it.

So where are you based?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum hope that you enjoy it here and we are able to assist you on your biking journey and making a few new friends along the way. :-bd

If I might suggest the police do a 1 day hazard awareness day called Bike Safe. It’s 50% class room and 50% on the road. It is really useful and they teach you a lot about riding on the road rather then just how to pass your test.

Hope this helps and look forward to meeting you on one of our friendly ride outs.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Paulpen
Learner Driver

Post by Paulpen »

Cheers for the welcomes

Im based in Taunton so have quite good access to all directions

Im mainly stuck at the moment with not knowing what I really want / need and even if I did then id have no idea how to go about checking over and buying !
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Get down the local bike shops and sit on a few.
See which ones float ya boat.

Then you start asking questions, on here if you like as to pros and cons, things to look out for etc. Doesn't matter if it's new or old stuff.

Never know, someone might offer to come view a bike or two in return for cakeage and liquid refreshment.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Hi & Welcome Paul

Just start visiting bike shops and having a sit on a few bikes to see what floats yer boat and also what fits you.
It could also help if you can have a think about where & when you'll be using this bike, that way you can narrow down the field a little.

You could also do a few test rides but that depends how confident you feel wrt jumping on different bikes, also be careful as there's normally £1,000 excess on shops test ride insurance, so it could hurt twice. :shock:
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
motorbike_tom
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by motorbike_tom »

Hi Paul,

Just remember, every single person who rides started somewhere so more often than not, there is someone who has been in the same position as you! If there ever happens to be a bike local to me, South Somerset/North Dorset border, you want to view I'd happily pop along and take a look.
I have bought enough heaps of crap I am fairly good at finding issues prior to handing over cash now!

All the best of luck
2010 KTM 200EXC
1999 Yamaha R1
2005 Honda CG125
Kawasaki ZXR400 track bike
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Paulpen wrote: Apr 7th, '19, 21:04 Cheers for the welcomes

Im based in Taunton so have quite good access to all directions

Im mainly stuck at the moment with not knowing what I really want / need and even if I did then id have no idea how to go about checking over and buying !
Not that far from me :)

Shout if you fancy going bike shopping, I'll quite happliy spend someone elses £££ :)):

Joking aside, if you need a hand or a bit of info just shout ;)
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Paulpen
Learner Driver

Post by Paulpen »

Yea im planning on having a good look around - so many bike shops and so little time :lol:

Ideally I wnts as new as possible but then again dont we all and my budget certainly wont allow that I imagine !

As im just going to be using it for year round commuting and the odd meetup and blast at the weekend I think im looking at 500 - 700cc stuff and lookswise im more a fan of the Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki bunch :idea:

I think for test rides im at a bit of a loss - id spend more time worrying about damaging it or getting use to the controls and not think about all the correct things :oops:

Thanks for all the offers of help chaps ^:)^
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Do you know if you prefer

Sports
Tourer
Naked
Custom
Cruiser
Retro

Those styles of bike.

Also as it's your first big bike I would suggest slightly older, mechanically sound but maybe not cosmetically perfect. Chamber are that until you're used to it, you're gonna drop it. Wouldn't want to spend out on something stunning to then put scratches on it.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Paulpen
Learner Driver

Post by Paulpen »

In all honesty I had to google all of them to see the difference between them all !

Ideally im after a sports / naked that i can pratically commute on - a rough search on the interent shows models like :
ER6, CB500, Bandit 600, CBR600, MT03 / 07. Thats all based on the looks and style of the bike rather than knowing anything about them !

Im certainly due a drop as not achieved that yet !

When you say older how old are we talking ?
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Paulpen wrote: Apr 9th, '19, 20:54When you say older how old are we talking ?
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Paulpen wrote: Apr 9th, '19, 20:54 In all honesty I had to google all of them to see the difference between them all !

Ideally im after a sports / naked that i can pratically commute on - a rough search on the interent shows models like :
ER6, CB500, Bandit 600, CBR600, MT03 / 07. Thats all based on the looks and style of the bike rather than knowing anything about them !

Im certainly due a drop as not achieved that yet !

When you say older how old are we talking ?
Can't go wrong with a Bandit 600 or fazer 600, the cbr600 is a good Bike too.

How are you with spanners or getting your hands dirty? Sooner or later you're gonna have to do some upkeep on your bike, even if it's just lubing the moving parts or oiling the chain. If that's not your thing then be prepared to pay someone to do it for you, shop rates can be anything up to £100 p.h.

Older bikes, I wouldn't go back past 97. Still a lot of good bikes available from then, easier to work on, spares are cheap and readily available plus will still go well and handle.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Paulpen
Learner Driver

Post by Paulpen »

Spanners on cars id say im good - suspension, engine strips, gearbox rebuilds etc however bikes is a totally different world as i cant even do a chain on a pushbike !

Talking of spares where do you get bits from ? With car stuff theres dealers only, only OEM equilivants or the likes of parts alliance etc - is it the same for bikes ?
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Nope, you'll find a lot of car mechanics won't or can't touch bikes, too fiddly and the smallest adjustment can make the biggest difference.

Dealers
Ebay
Breakers
Spares or Repairs deals
KTM 990 superduke R,