Hello from the other half

Introduce yourself and meet your fellow riders. Please don't forget to mention how you found us.
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Re: Hello from the other half

Post by Smiler »

jer r1 wrote: Aug 21st, '19, 12:04
Smiler wrote: Aug 21st, '19, 09:29 Ahhh welcome along Claire and huge congrats on passing your test! Drop me a message sometime and we’ll go out for coffee & cakeage 😀👍
Ere smiler, i want some cakeage 🍰 Congratulations Claire 👍
Jerry!!! :ymhug: we are long overdue some cake!!! I feel a 'research ride' might be in order ;)
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

That's what I like to hear
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Bearsie
Learner Driver
First Name: Claire

Post by Bearsie »

Smiler wrote: Aug 21st, '19, 09:29 Ahhh welcome along Claire and huge congrats on passing your test! Drop me a message sometime and we’ll go out for coffee & cakeage 😀👍
Sheila will defo take you up on that... :lol:

There does seem to be a bit of a cake theme going on here.... :-?
Yamaha MT-09 | Suzuki GSX1400 | Honda C90
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Congrats on passing the full test, I hope to follow onyour footsteps
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

Bearsie
Learner Driver

Post by Bearsie »

Mr Tuscan wrote: Aug 22nd, '19, 07:57 Congrats on passing the full test, I hope to follow onyour footsteps
Hiya Mr T, and thank you.

It was all a bit of a surprise really. I absolutely hate tests of any sort but decided it was high time to put some time aside and get it sorted as I love riding motorbikes, even better now I'm in control :))

Tbh the hardest bit was getting thro the theory. If ur all ready running about then the rest should be a breeze. I didn't get any lessons, just practiced the mod 1 and then just drilled into my head all the things u need to do.

Do u have a 600+ to take ur test on? And get it done!!

\:D/
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

Well done on doing your test. :-)

How did you find it? Had you been riding long before?

Ah... Just seen your above answer. :-)
Bearsie
Learner Driver

Post by Bearsie »

Hi Kata,
Thank you! Been back in the saddle for 3-4 months. Was riding a bike before I passed my driving test many many moons ago and had a few sessions on a klx300 some years ago. Feels like I been doing it for ages :D
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Most of us "experienced, riding for yonks" riders probably wouldn't have a cat's chance of passing the test nowadays, especially the theory. I think "newbies" today are far better prepared and safer riders than we were passing our tests back in the day.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Missus J wrote: Aug 22nd, '19, 21:33
Mr Tuscan wrote: Aug 22nd, '19, 07:57 Congrats on passing the full test, I hope to follow onyour footsteps
Hiya Mr T, and thank you.

It was all a bit of a surprise really. I absolutely hate tests of any sort but decided it was high time to put some time aside and get it sorted as I love riding motorbikes, even better now I'm in control :))

Tbh the hardest bit was getting thro the theory. If ur all ready running about then the rest should be a breeze. I didn't get any lessons, just practiced the mod 1 and then just drilled into my head all the things u need to do.

Do u have a 600+ to take ur test on? And get it done!!

\:D/

When you say 'theory' surely you don't mean the online test thingy, that was easy but I'm a large vehicle driver by trade so knew most of it.
I feel the actual test will be harder for me, ill be doing at least one days worth of lessons before taking the test, problem i have is I've been a solo rider so far so no-one to bounce off with regards to how good and bad my riding is at this point. Im bimbling around on a 125 and only have 600 miles under my belt.

the 600+ bike is currently in project status, one day :)

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Mr Tuscan wrote: Aug 24th, '19, 09:51 When you say 'theory' surely you don't mean the online test thingy,
Yup, she was close each time but kept getting tripped up by the questions as they are tricky, sometimes three of the four options seem plausible..... and I have no idea why first aid is part of a driving test as it is not a legal requirement to give first aid, in fact legally speaking you probably shouldn't risk it unless you have formal first aid training and insurance.

Getting intercoms was good move during our training rides.
Claire's CBT instructor thought she was probably already at a good enough standard for the test so once the theory test was out of the way I insisted that Claire lead everywhere as then she could get use to being scrutinised but more importantly she'd not pick up my bad habits. I don't think I offered any actual instruction, but as you said.. I was a sounding board to give an opinion on a "what to do in this situation" type question and would look that up once we got home to ensure what we'd decided was actually right.

Claire wanted to use an instructor but the one she used for the CBT was really busy and the test slots at local centres were few and far between. At this Claire finally agreed that we could give it a shot on our own. Each test could be viewed as just a training session so with that mindset even a fail was worth the money, and Mod 1's are cheap.

For the mod 1 we prepared by going to an industrial estate on a few evenings (mainly Sundays) and chalk marked the cone positions for the slalom and figure of eight. She practised that on the 125 and then on the 700, this is where an instructor and private ground would be better (and legal) but we made do and took the risk.
For the test Claire rode the 125 and I rode the 07 there, Claire then jumped on the 07 to do the test, then I rode it home.
This we repeated for the mod 2 but as she passed she got to ride the 07 home and hasn't ridden the 125 since... strange that... :)):

So you already have the bike but I would suggest that your bike isn't the best to do the mod 1 on unless you are super confident riding it. Also we found that Claire could only get insurance that had a 60 day limit on it for the 07 (without a full license) so the insurance was started a week before the mod 1 but then the clock is ticking, if you can't get the mod 2 done in that time the insurance would be cancelled which would make it an expensive way of going about it.
Using an instructor makes sense for sure, we were lucky in that Claire was pretty much there already and that I could help with practise rides, and to shuttle the 07 to the tests, but I have to admit that as a rider that is use to bigger bikes it was sometimes painful riding at 125 pace. :mrgreen:

So anyway, get on and arrange the training & tests!
If we on here can help in anyway then shout. I think we now have a hand full of recently passed members so they can share their experience and offer tips if necessary.
Also we think Taunton is a better area to do the tests in, or at least for the Mod 2 as the roads are possibly easier than Exeter.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Great read thanks for taking the time to reply, although I feel slightly guilty this has now been thread jacked......

WELL DONE once again Claire :)

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Lol don't worry. Thread etiquette isn't followed or enforced on this forum.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Welcome to the forum :)
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A