Going up Porlock hill two up

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
User avatar
Kata
Learner Driver
Posts: 633
Joined: Aug 1st, '13, 21:27
First Name: John
Location: Taunton

Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Kata » Oct 16th, '18, 17:38

Hi All.

I'm fine going down Porlock hill on my fjr 2 up.

However I only just made it around uphill solo.

Going up hill I went to the middle of the road just before turning in but I still ended up on the other side and it was too uncomfortable for me.

Wtf am I doing wrong?

User avatar
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
Posts: 2900
Joined: Mar 15th, '14, 14:06
First Name: Larry
Location: Bristol

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by MellowYellow » Oct 16th, '18, 18:32

I did a 3 pt turn first time up there. It's even a trial on a pushbike.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?

Fozz
Learner Driver
Posts: 92
Joined: Mar 8th, '18, 07:09
First Name: Colin

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Fozz » Oct 16th, '18, 19:31

Ive only just realized ive been down it probably a dozen times but never up.

User avatar
billinom8s
Site Admin
Posts: 15017
Joined: Sep 10th, '05, 22:31
First Name: simon
Location: When in doubt...............C4

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by billinom8s » Oct 16th, '18, 19:59

As you get to the hairpin, note to the other side of the road, go past the turn and then pull round for the corner exit.

You can't keep to your side of the road.
07977507395
Image
don't forget we are on twitter believe it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R
Zx10r trackbike

User avatar
Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver
Posts: 509
Joined: Jan 12th, '17, 13:44
First Name: Richard

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Jug_Inspector » Oct 16th, '18, 20:20

Where is this, is it the main road across the top between Porlock and Lynmouth?

Ming
SWB Subscriber
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 7th, '18, 17:36
First Name: Andy
Location: Torquay

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Ming » Oct 16th, '18, 20:27

I'm guessing it's the 1 in 4 hill out of Porlock village towards Lynton and Lynmouth. My Tiger 800 developed a gearbox fault on there and it jumped out of gear right on the second hairpin towards the top...... not ideal, to say the least

User avatar
Kata
Learner Driver
Posts: 633
Joined: Aug 1st, '13, 21:27
First Name: John
Location: Taunton

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Kata » Oct 16th, '18, 20:31

You don't know Porlock hill???

User avatar
Kata
Learner Driver
Posts: 633
Joined: Aug 1st, '13, 21:27
First Name: John
Location: Taunton

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Kata » Oct 16th, '18, 20:34

billinom8s wrote:
Oct 16th, '18, 19:59
As you get to the hairpin, note to the other side of the road, go past the turn and then pull round for the corner exit.

You can't keep to your side of the road.
Note? So go to other side of road just before?

Wtf u do if there's traffic coming down?!

User avatar
Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver
Posts: 509
Joined: Jan 12th, '17, 13:44
First Name: Richard

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Jug_Inspector » Oct 16th, '18, 21:21

Kata wrote:
Oct 16th, '18, 20:31
You don't know Porlock hill???
If it's the hill just after the village then I have done it 2up, and often solo. I just slip the clutch and make the turn. There is one down in Cornwall that seemed steeper & tighter. I was on my SD and decided to swing wide on that one.
Maybe I also do that on Porlock hill, never really thought about it.

User avatar
billinom8s
Site Admin
Posts: 15017
Joined: Sep 10th, '05, 22:31
First Name: simon
Location: When in doubt...............C4

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by billinom8s » Oct 16th, '18, 21:43

Kata wrote:
Oct 16th, '18, 20:34
billinom8s wrote:
Oct 16th, '18, 19:59
As you get to the hairpin, note to the other side of the road, go past the turn and then pull round for the corner exit.

You can't keep to your side of the road.
Note? So go to other side of road just before?



Wtf u do if there's traffic coming down?!

You look further ahead and adjust your speed. Failing that, ride past the offending vehicle and pull in behind it.
It's all at slow speeds so not a drama.
07977507395
Image
don't forget we are on twitter believe it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R
Zx10r trackbike

User avatar
Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver
Posts: 509
Joined: Jan 12th, '17, 13:44
First Name: Richard

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Jug_Inspector » Oct 17th, '18, 10:19

Now this one is scarey, I went down it 2up but solo on the way out.
Even just pulling away from the pub carpark (solo) almost saw me dropping my Vstrom down that hill.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4789074 ... 312!8i6656

This was the one in Cornwall, I was following a guy on a ZZR1400 who took a decidedly wide route around that one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.6424763 ... 312!8i6656

Compared to these Porlock is easy. I guess it must just be a big bike thing as the FJR is a sizeable beast.

Ming
SWB Subscriber
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 7th, '18, 17:36
First Name: Andy
Location: Torquay

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Ming » Oct 17th, '18, 12:12

That first one is just about impossible to get up in a van if it's wet. I got stuck at the bottom when delivering years ago and every other time I had something for the pub I'd have to park at the top and walk down. It's not so bad if you know nothing's coming down as you can be more committed ..

pieeater
Learner Driver
Posts: 65
Joined: Dec 28th, '16, 11:05
First Name: Paul
Location: Pinhoe, Exeter.

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by pieeater » Oct 17th, '18, 15:28

Kata wrote:
Oct 16th, '18, 17:38
Hi All.

I'm fine going down Porlock hill on my fjr 2 up.

However I only just made it around uphill solo.

Going up hill I went to the middle of the road just before turning in but I still ended up on the other side and it was too uncomfortable for me.

Wtf am I doing wrong?
Taking it too fast? The tricky hairpin bend (going uphill) is best taken in 1st gear at walking pace using the bars to steer round it.

User avatar
Kata
Learner Driver
Posts: 633
Joined: Aug 1st, '13, 21:27
First Name: John
Location: Taunton

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Kata » Oct 17th, '18, 21:50

Jug_Inspector wrote:
Oct 17th, '18, 10:19
Now this one is scarey, I went down it 2up but solo on the way out.
Even just pulling away from the pub carpark (solo) almost saw me dropping my Vstrom down that hill.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4789074 ... 312!8i6656

This was the one in Cornwall, I was following a guy on a ZZR1400 who took a decidedly wide route around that one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.6424763 ... 312!8i6656

Compared to these Porlock is easy. I guess it must just be a big bike thing as the FJR is a sizeable beast.
Crikey. Tough scary hills!

User avatar
Kata
Learner Driver
Posts: 633
Joined: Aug 1st, '13, 21:27
First Name: John
Location: Taunton

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Kata » Oct 17th, '18, 21:53

pieeater wrote:
Oct 17th, '18, 15:28
Kata wrote:
Oct 16th, '18, 17:38
Hi All.

I'm fine going down Porlock hill on my fjr 2 up.

However I only just made it around uphill solo.

Going up hill I went to the middle of the road just before turning in but I still ended up on the other side and it was too uncomfortable for me.

Wtf am I doing wrong?
Taking it too fast? The tricky hairpin bend (going uphill) is best taken in 1st gear at walking pace using the bars to steer round it.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm actual.fact I think I was going a bit too slow for the hill if that's possible. I had to accelerate a bit going around to give the bike more inertia. Which made it better but made me go wider still...

Post Reply