engine numbers

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

engine numbers

Post by billinom8s »

Ok then, looking at a trackbike the other day online and noticed that in the photos it was clear that the numbers on the engine had be ground off.
I know this doesn't matter to the state of a Bike as engines get swapped in and out of bikes, especially trackbikes all the time.
I've also heard that Breakers remove the numbers when they come from written off bikes.
Plus of course we all know that criminals sometimes remove the number in an attempt to be smart but actually draw attention to the fact it's hot by doing it. The number can be retrieved using a file and acid anyway.

So would buying a bike that has been registered, taxed, insured and even has an MOT be a non starter if the engine number had been removed?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: engine numbers

Post by Jug »

I can see no honest reason to remove an engine number.

I think if I really wanted the bike and the price was good I'd need to see some documents that prove where that engine came from and how much was paid. I'd also want these documents with the bike purchase.

You could also tell them you'd like to get the bike datatag scanned before paying in full, that might at least shit test the seller.

Just out of interest.. can you actually do that, get the police to scan a vehicle for you to ensure it's legit?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Feb 8th, '21, 13:10 Just out of interest.. can you actually do that, get the police to scan a vehicle for you to ensure it's legit?
Not as far as I'm aware, no.

I agree, no logical reason to remove a legitimate number. As for passing an MOT, when was the last time you saw a tester check the engine number?

Personally, I'd be walking away as soon as I saw that .....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Axminster tools sell letter and number punches :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Have restamped vin and engine numbers before.

Had a Peugeot that had 2 different chassis numbers from the factory. Was interesting when confronted peugeot uk about it (mot time) as the other one was covered by a parking ticket.

Most breakers dont remove numbers anymore as want proof of engine sold etc for warranties. Only time people try and remove numbers is to make things harder to trace.

If no number then could be race blank.
If done nicely then so be it,
If brutal attacked then big no no.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

I went to look at a DT175 once it said no reg docs been used as off road bike spares or repair I thought DT,s fetch good money he does not seem to want much for it will go take a look , gets to council estate met at the door by archetypal spotty youth , bike is in kitchen, looks like it had been dragged out of a canal most parts missing exhaust lights etc tell a lie it had an old car silencer welded to the remains of the exhaust , immediately that told me engine knackered, looked at engine number obliterated with a chisel , frame number similar , BYE BYE , thankyou very much
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

There was a big thing several years back in racing paddocks with Scrutineering failing bikes with missing frame and engine numbers, and they had the Stolen Vehicle Squad in attendance to have a look at any “interesting” examples - if I recall correctly a number of bikes were seized and some people spent time helping with their enquiries. (As a kid I thought that expression meant they were knocking on people’s doors and asking questions for the police) Personally I wouldn’t touch a vehicle with modified/removed numbers, there is no legitimate reason for doing so.
Walk on by, a cleaner one will be along sooner or later.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

If everyone just said not interested then it would reduce the number of bike thefts, just think if you would be happy knowing that your stolen bike (engine) was being used by somebody else (even if you did get insurance payout) just because they got it cheap and didn't care where it came from. You know in your heart that (usually) if there's no number then it's stolen.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Personally would walk away pleanty of other choice to go with. Last thing that you want is the old bill knocking on our door a few days after the purchase to tell you its stollen adn they are confiscating it.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.