Spain in january 😀

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Daveillidge
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Spain in january 😀

Post by Daveillidge »

Hi there ..
I have got a month off in january I know its not the best time for touring but it's gonna be my time I can go .I wanna go spain try find some warmer weather the question is do I get the tunnel ride through France etc or get the ferry straight to spain 🇪🇸 anyone done this in january?? Or the colder months any info pointers tips would be great ..

Chsers dave
2011 Triumph tiger 800xc :-bd
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Spain in januaray 😀

Post by Jug »

The chunnel is good for when heading east into Europe but as you'll be going south I'd skip France, that is unless you particularly want (and have time) to take in France. Having to ride across the width of our county (via main roads) just to come back on yourself across France (via toll roads) is time in the seat I'd rather avoid.

I think several people have calculated it and when taking into account the fuel, tolls, tyre wear and at least one hotel stay there isn't much in it cost wise between the chunnel and the ferry straight to Spain. I've just done a quick google route from mine to Spain and it's 920 mile via the chunnel... no thank you.

Also if the crossing time works out you can get off the Ferry and have a good half days riding still, and you'll be fresh for it too.
So ferry direct to Spain gets my vote.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I'd say ferry to Spain. You will have to ride through snow covered mountains in France that time of year.

If you're heading south to find warmth you don't want to be packing Arctic gear too.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

Fly to Canary Islands and hire.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

I think Brittany Ferries reduce or even cancel their Spanish sailings in January and February. Plymouth to Santander used to be 18 hours but the last time I did it in 2019 it took 24,as the ship had a dodgy engine and was on reduced power.
The crossing to Bilbao from Portsmouth takes even longer, so I'd avoid that. They have whacked their prices up recently as they no doubt want to recoup their losses when they haven't been sailing, so as Kata says, might be a better option to fly and hire.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
Daveillidge
Learner Driver

Post by Daveillidge »

Thanks for the replies will look into the ferry to Santander or Bilbao and hopefully have some warmer drier weather.didnt think about carrying artic gear as well as summer stuff lol so it defo makes sense straight to spain . Cheers dave
2011 Triumph tiger 800xc :-bd
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

The costs of either Brittany or P&O ferries to Portsmouth/Bilbao are not insignificant, plus take 18/24hrs each way.
There are a number of companies who transport your bike to key holiday destinations throughout Europe for quite reasonable sums, and you can even put your gear in the stillage. You then book a budget airline at times convenient to yourself, collect your bike from the shipper and enjoy your holiday. Repeat process in reverse for homeward journey.
All the fun of sunny holidays in warmer climes with just a couple hours flight times rather than days lost to cross country travel .......

You can leave cold, wet, horrible British winter at breakfast time and be riding your own bike in warm, dry, southern Spain in the afternoon :-bd
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Moosey P&O stopped the Bilbao run long since , I think 11 years or more , only choice in January is brittany feries Portsmouth Santander , 28 hour crossing and about £350/£400 depending on how you travel

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

Mervin wrote: Jul 25th, '21, 19:02 Moosey P&O stopped the Bilbao run long since , I think 11 years or more , only choice in January is brittany feries Portsmouth Santander , 28 hour crossing and about £350/£400 depending on how you travel

28hrs on a ro-ro in the bay of Biscay in January =)) =))

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

TLS-Moose wrote: Jul 25th, '21, 19:13
Mervin wrote: Jul 25th, '21, 19:02 Moosey P&O stopped the Bilbao run long since , I think 11 years or more , only choice in January is brittany feries Portsmouth Santander , 28 hour crossing and about £350/£400 depending on how you travel

28hrs on a ro-ro in the bay of Biscay in January =)) =))
exactly now you know why most truck drivers drove down especially for southern spain, especially when thet ran this old tub down there , seen here at is last resting place in venezuala or somewhere

coutances.jpg
better pic in happier days
coutances2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

This is more what I was thinking ....

https://www.madornomad.com/uk-to-europe ... companies/

ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Neither riding all those January miles across Engerland and down through France or the Ferry in January- if it is running - are appealing. Another vote for fly and hire or get your bike shipped over. It's also highly certain that northern Spain and the mountains will be "difficult" riding in January. Only the south of the country is likely to be "nice".
Another option for not much extra cost is you could fly/hire somewhere more exotic and adventurous...
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Yep, fly-ride is the way to go IMHO, especially out of season when the oliday herd hibernate and flight prices become cheaper - bike hire and accommodation too 😊.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
DaveH
Learner Driver

Post by DaveH »

I agree with others. Personally I wouldn’t fancy the long ferry crossing at that time of year. The Bay of Biscay can be bad enough in Summer. January could be a nightmare unless you have got sailors sea legs!!

However, if I were going for a month I would be tempted to ride down to Southern Spain. I have waterproof and heated gear, I don’t mind putting miles on my bike and if you aren’t in a great rush then there are great minor roads to be had down through France and passable routes across the Pyrenees. If the weather is bad you can afford to do shorter days riding for a few days.

If on the other hand you are only going for a week or two then I’d opt for a fly-ride on a hire bike (Canary Motorcycle Tours look like a great option) or have my bike shipped down. Same if you are going for a month but don’t fancy riding through possibly shit weather of France & Northern Spain to get to the sun!