Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Post by Jug »

Bendearb wrote: Aug 18th, '18, 13:41 Just got to having a look at the stator and checking the resistance and the connector is totally melted and perished could this be the cause of my problems?
Yes, it could be... but don't assume it is.
Do the resistance checks for the stator coils, if they look within spec then do the output voltage tests with the engine running.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

If it's melted the plug then it needs replacing.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Bendearb wrote: Aug 18th, '18, 13:41 Just got to having a look at the stator and checking the resistance and the connector is totally melted and perished could this be the cause of my problems? .........
So it's not just 17 year-old Aprilia's that do this then :mrgreen: ?

Whatever's been said about getting it all sorted soonest is absolutely the case. Leave it, and you're looking at a new wiring loom, also generator/stator, regulator/rectifier, battery, and most associated electrical parts - it'll get expensive and your bike will be off the road for a while.
You may be lucky and the melted connector is the only early casualty and that by replacing it you'll have caught it all in time - but if it's got to that stage I doubt it.
The connector gets over-hot and will eventualy melt because, over time, the crimped connections within develop more and more resistance. Also, in most cases, the wiring is too small a gauge.
I can't speak for your bike, but the above prob's are a well-known part of Futura ownership so I was aware. I caught and fixed the main issues early on.

Fut-wise (and I'd like to bet lots of other bikes fall into this) there are three main charging circuit weaknesses.
1.The dreaded brown connector (dreaded by Fut owners anyway because it ALWAYS fails eventualy), which joins the stator cables to the reg/rec and which has only crimped cable connections, not soldered. If all else is well, this is the first thing to rectify; normaly, if you've caught it in time, that then gives 2. & 3. (below) a fighting chance of survival.
2. The regulator/rectifier, which is not of the best quality.
3. Charging circuit wiring which is too light in gauge.

The recommended Fut charging issue mod's are this: (a) Where possible, replace the standard wiring with a heavier gauge. (b) Solder all crimped-only connector joints. (c) Fit best quality connectors; or no connectors at all and just solder the wires together and (d) Hope you've caught it in time :?
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

billinom8s wrote: Aug 18th, '18, 18:39 If it's melted the plug then it needs replacing.
Yes & No.
You can bare the wires and simply crimp to rejoin them, or solder them. A crimp joint is better than a soldered joint IF done correctly.
Correctly means correct size crimp for the wire and a proper crimp tool (ratcheting type), not the cheap ones DIY.
Both the above are generally better than a connector.

The connector failing could be the only issue here, and if so would not cause any harm to the stator or the R/R. In this situation the battery can be harmed by over discharge (which will most likely just reduce it's charge capacity), unless it was already on its last legs.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Aug 19th, '18, 11:23
billinom8s wrote: Aug 18th, '18, 18:39 If it's melted the plug then it needs replacing.
Yes & No.
You can bare the wires and simply crimp to rejoin them, or solder them. A crimp joint is better than a soldered joint IF done correctly.
Correctly means correct size crimp for the wire and a proper crimp tool (ratcheting type), not the cheap ones DIY.
Both the above are generally better than a connector.

The connector failing could be the only issue here, and if so would not cause any harm to the stator or the R/R. In this situation the battery can be harmed by over discharge (which will most likely just reduce it's charge capacity), unless it was already on its last legs.
But then can't check the condition of the connectors properly and if gotten hot, could be prone to fracturing.
Correct crimp size I completely agree with as seen people using wrong sizes before, but as for ratchet crimps, I would still prefer my branded non-ratchet crimps compared to cheap cheap bin fodder ratchet.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Ruffian wrote: Aug 19th, '18, 12:49 But then can't check the condition of the connectors properly and if gotten hot, could be prone to fracturing.

You've confused me here.. are you saying that if a connector is used then you can periodically inspect it?
If so then yes... but if you use sealed crimp then you can be sure that it hasn't deteriorated as it's heat sealed after crimping. You could also use clear covered crimps which will discolour if excess heat is generated.

I would still prefer my branded non-ratchet crimps compared to cheap cheap bin fodder ratchet.
Crimp tool - as long as it's a proper tool that has been setup to provide only the correct crimping force (and no more) then you're good. The bonus of the ratcheting type is they won't allow you to stop until the correct force has been achieved, the non-ratchet type will let you under force a crimp so it's kind of guess work for how hard to squeeze.
The ratchet type click when you've done enough. :)
Chris88
Learner Driver
First Name: Christopher

Post by Chris88 »

Hi guys th8s it's my second post here on SWB
Here is a newbie question and problaby one of a many as I have no close friends that ride bikes at all.

Is it "illegal" to put stickers on a helmet?

To explain better that simple question is because I will be driving on nights trought a30 one to launceston and as in France I would like to put reflective stikers on my helmet.
It's silver same colour as the reflective bands we see on the hi-vi so it might help

Thanks in advance all :ympeace:
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass: it's about learning how to ride in the rain!!! :ympeace:
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Chris88 wrote: Nov 18th, '18, 21:39 Is it "illegal" to put stickers on a helmet?
I have never come across any law that you should not put a sticker on your helmet.
However there is a concern about the outer shell of the helmet and depending on what the helmet is made from the glue can weaken the helmet.

Follow this link and watch this short video this should help
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-ride ... my-helmet/

If you need to know what your helmet is made of then take a look at this site
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Chris88
Learner Driver

Post by Chris88 »

Thanks Menzies3032
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass: it's about learning how to ride in the rain!!! :ympeace:
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Not illegal. New lids actually come with them in the box I think.

It used to be you had to be careful putting stickers on lids due to the solvent I'm the glue reacting with the helmet materials and weakening them. Pretty sure helmet tech has improved though.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

As long as it's not a cheap thermoplastic helmet, you should be ok. If in doubt ask the manufacturer/distributor/supplier....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Chris88
Learner Driver

Post by Chris88 »

Thanks billinom85
Yeah I was talking the other day to some chap and he used to be on the scooter crew and he told me that insurance policies if I have a crash they will dump the case if any non factory sticker is on due to "making them unsafe"
I was finding hard to believe as now a days we can even fix a go pro and Bluetooth to our helmets... :-?
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

What make is the helmet? I have some of the genuine Shark French compliant ones here, and I might have some Arai ones here too, if I can remember where to look ....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Chris88
Learner Driver

Post by Chris88 »

TLS-Moose wrote: Nov 19th, '18, 00:26 What make is the helmet? I have some of the genuine Shark French compliant ones here, and I might have some Arai ones here too, if I can remember where to look ....
hey TLS-Moose

my helmet its a caberg v2 407
metalic silver
Davey boy
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by Davey boy »

Hi ,is there any way members from bridgwater and surrounding areas can be linked ,there are a couple of us who ride out from bridgy but I'm sure there are other people left twiddling there thumbs unaware and would possibly like to join in .most of the swb action appears to be quite a way from bridgwater which means it's a ride out to join the ride out.just a thought is there anything that can be done to help.thanking you in anticipation
Regards
Dave 07703289710