Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Re: Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Post by Dailaughing »

You might even be able to post more as you won't be in the hospital with two collapsed lungs etc!

I really thought my ZZ-R would have been in the hedge by now as well but so far it's been sunny side up.
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Post by Chezza »

Hi Guy's, Chezza here, (Hairy chopper freak musician type) me & my bird (Phabulos Phoebe) are looking to move to the south west and would like to hook up with like-minded folk into chops bobs or anything on 2 wheels, got 4 bikes and my beloved chop, went to a bike meet near Penzance last week is that a regular event?

Cheer's
Chezza.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Hi ya, might be worth popping into the intro section and saying hello, your post will get a wider viewing.

There is a growing Bob and chop community down this way. Teignmouth has a bike meet every Tuesday that has a lot of chops, Bobs and cruisers. Paignton on a Wednesday is big, on a good day 1000 bike big.

The Penzance meet I don't know, I think there is one inHayle though. Some of the Cornish collective on here could let you know though.

Which area in SW are you thinking of ?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

Hayle bike meet is regular on Tuesdays (the one cramped into a car park by McDonald's). They are more my style (sports) but as you saw a few cruisers, bobbers and rat bikes as well.

There is also one at Cornwall Services on the A30 at Victoria every Thursday evening which is half-and-half cruisers and other stuff (run by the British Legion Riders Branch so a good cause as well). The first RBLR one was last week and was a great success with around 200 there and loads of space - free live music each week as well and a lot more space than Hayle. A lot of us turn up to both occasionally.

Go to Portreath any weekend especially on Sunday for a more accidental meet up as there are normally ten or so there at any time.

I believe there is one near Bodmin (Blast motorcycles) on Wednesdays as well but haven't made that yet. Strong Adolfo's (Wadebridge) were trying to get one going but again I never did make that one.

Then Plymouth on Thursdays.

The Royal British Legion Riders are worth joining if you move to Cornwall what with the bike nights and monthly rideouts which are pretty relaxed but well organised. Other stuff occasionally as well including camps etc.. Hard to find a nicer bunch as well (I only joined at the end of last year). I'm not ex-forces but a fair number are so plenty of Harley's black leather and camo. We met a few from Devon and Somerset last Thursday and they seemed OK as well despite being foreign;-)
Learner Driver
First Name: Joss

Post by Kernow »

Hi guys,
I have just been changing a couple of my fairing bolts on my zx10r, and have noticed two things,

firstly there are 4 bolts I cannot undo as it looks like the previous owner has successfully rounded them off like a champion, is there a way to get these off?

And secondly, ive noticed the engine has melted and warped the fairing close to it to a slightly bulb like shape.. is this normal for these bikes to have fairing close enough to do that? Its not the biggest problem but now I have seen it it will bother me!

Cheers in advance
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

For the bolts - lots of penetrating fluid, then small drill into the bolt head followed by an easy out tool.

Any pics of the bulb? Some Fairings actually have these bulbs designed into them.

What year zx is it?
KTM 990 superduke R,
Kernow
Learner Driver
First Name: Joss

Post by Kernow »

Its 2006. I will get a picture tomorrow when its light again, if it is meant to be there it has a look about it that its melted slightly as well.. will see what you think tomorrow.
Cheers
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Bu**er, I've just lost 10yrs ....... :80: :twisted:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
HornetRider30
Learner Driver
First Name: Seb

Post by HornetRider30 »

Afternoon, I like to get to know other bikers out there I live in Bridport which is great easpacialy I'm near West bay hot place for bikers, as I'm new to the area like to see if anyone likes to meet up for rides and meet ups.? Any help be appreciated. Cheers
Bendearb
Learner Driver
First Name: Ben

Post by Bendearb »

Hi there all!
Got a zx6r g1 and I'm having trouble with the battery staying charged iv changed the regulator/rectifier and tested running voltages and they all seem to be fine. The only thing I have noticed is if I switch my lights on the charging voltage drops from 14+ volts right down to low 12s just wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this that could maybe shed some light on to what I should do as my next step? Not sure where to start looking to solve the big voltage drop. Thanks in advance Ben
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

That'll be the stator.
Whip the casing off, undo the 3 bolts, pop it out, new one in, job done.

If you have a manual it'll tell you what the resistance across the 3 wires coming from the stator should be, grab a multimeter and check it against the quoted figures.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Gaz82884
Learner Driver
First Name: Gareth

Post by Gaz82884 »

You sure your not riding a Gixer lol..
Bendearb
Learner Driver
First Name: Ben

Post by Bendearb »

Just got to having a look at the stator and checking the resistance and the connector is totally melted and perished could this be the cause of my problems? Don't want to mess with it further for now as it will leave me without a mode of transport. And don't want to take the connections apart to check the connections
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Yeah.

You'll need to replace stator, reg rec and battery I'm afraid.

The damage will be done and damaging the other components now.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

I agree,
But now with damaged wiring you run the risk of burning the rest of the loom and high resistance and fire.

Do it sooner rather than too late.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"