Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Post by badgerKDD »

Hi all new members,

As it can be a bit difficult for new guys and ladies to feel they can just 'dive in!' here's a place where you can ask any questions, advice etc. and we'll do our best to answer. Bikes, biking, why we do certain stuff in a certain way? all those sort of things and if the question generates some lively interest or is a real eye opener, we'll move it to the main forum so it is open to all. Don't worry if your are worried about it being asked before or feeling silly about asking, this is what this section is for :D .

Regulars can feel free to reply to queries, but remember what this is about, its to help people feel welcome and join in, so keep the inter site banter to the main forums, or better still, explain the in-joke so everyone can join in ;) .

Ok over to you guys, have fun and most importantly JOIN IN :-bd :-bd ........
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Re: Newbies.. Ask us Anything??

Post by Smiler »

Nice one Badger :ymhug:

There is a wealth of knowledge here on SWB!

You might be looking for information about technical issues, finding your first bike, after recommendations regarding bike kit, or maybe having trouble posting images on here - or even if youre simply looking for a riding buddy on a sunny Sunday afternoon....post it up and we will try our best to help!

You can also PM any of the staff team here for help if you prefer ~ and if we can't sort it, we'll find some who can!

:)): :)):
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
MikeF
Learner Driver
First Name: Michael

Post by MikeF »

Everytime I post it goes through admin before it shows, I posted a day or so ago and it still has not shown up. Are the first ten posts monitored just in case you are a loon?

Sorry I haven't read the instructions, typical bloke :-D
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

MikeF wrote:Everytime I post it goes through admin before it shows, I posted a day or so ago and it still has not shown up. Are the first ten posts monitored just in case you are a loon?

Sorry I haven't read the instructions, typical bloke :-D
sorry about that.

yep the first few posts have to be approved. mainly down to anti spamming/trolls/pregnant goldfishies measures.

we don't have an auto system here so sometimes it might be a day or so before the post gets seen and approved. usually though it's only a few hours or less.

look into rttb for a fun run and get your name down on some trackdays to improve riding and get massive. massive smiles.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Nathanc290
Learner Driver
First Name: Nathan

Post by Nathanc290 »

Hi guys,

Took a street tiple and CBR for a test ride over the past week, found myself fairly nervous and rather un confident. Ive had my license for 3 years, however not ridden for almost 2. I believe these feelings are due to having a motox accident and fracturing 2 vertebrae a few years ago.

Just wondering if any of the more experienced guys had any advice for picking confidence back up, anything i should or shouldnt do/training that could help etc...

May well be with a few miles under the belt it all comes back however thought id ask anyway.

Cheers
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by Atomic »

Hi Nathan,
It does sound like a confidence boost is needed. Maybe go back to your instructor for a day's riding. It cost me about £80 - he was happy as it filled another day for him. It was beneficial , he has all the qualifications and also the equipment ( radio etc).
Also, see if there are people on here who are near to you who would tag along with you and give pointers (there are a lot of helpful people on here).
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

I had a similar problem. Not with the vertebrae but with an absence of 30+ yrs off a bike.
I got a forgiving old CB 500 S. First day I went out on a Sunday and went up and down the river road for an hour or so. Mostly dual-carriageway, only 1 or 2 junctions, mostly non-resident, little traffic. Did me the world of good.
Then did 2 years in all winds and weathers, day and night, before upgraging to a bigger beast.
Just take it (very) easy for a time. You will get your ass and your head back.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Nathanc290
Learner Driver
First Name: Nathan

Post by Nathanc290 »

Thanks guys I'll look into it. I'll have few miles the weekend and hopefully help! Thanks again :)):
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Nathanc290 wrote:Hi guys,

Took a street tiple and CBR for a test ride over the past week, found myself fairly nervous and rather un confident. Ive had my license for 3 years, however not ridden for almost 2. I believe these feelings are due to having a motox accident and fracturing 2 vertebrae a few years ago.

Just wondering if any of the more experienced guys had any advice for picking confidence back up, anything i should or shouldnt do/training that could help etc...

May well be with a few miles under the belt it all comes back however thought id ask anyway.

Cheers
gotta do the miles i'm afraid.
but not an extra 10 or 15. go out and do a tank or so. to the point where you are relaxed in the seat and not thinking about the bike, just looking at the road in front.

pick a destination roughly 80 -100 miles away, pick a route there that takes you on twisty roads not MW or DCW and then just press go.
if you are going with someone make sure they aren't going to try and set a land speed record then just otherwise you won't get to relax and have fun.

after a while you will relax on the bike, the steering will become easier and corners smoother.
KTM 990 superduke R,
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

billinom8s wrote:
gotta do the miles i'm afraid.
but not an extra 10 or 15. go out and do a tank or so. to the point where you are relaxed in the seat and not thinking about the bike, just looking at the road in front.

pick a destination roughly 80 -100 miles away, pick a route there that takes you on twisty roads not MW or DCW and then just press go.
if you are going with someone make sure they aren't going to try and set a land speed record then just otherwise you won't get to relax and have fun.

after a while you will relax on the bike, the steering will become easier and corners smoother.
Good advice. I was klunky for quite a while after getting back on. Went up the Mendips, Cotswolds, Wales etc.
Then one day I stopped at some lights after a 'spirited' 10 mins and could not remember changing gear or going round any bends, Magic.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Wes
Learner Driver
First Name: Lawrence

Post by Wes »

Avatar photos, i can seem to upload one,the files too big i think? how do i reduce it to an acceptable level?
cheers wes
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

Open it in Paint assuming you are on Windows. You should see resize in the toolbar thingy at the top.
Wes
Learner Driver
First Name: Lawrence

Post by Wes »

Cheers for the info, sorted now :)
Taz2011
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by Taz2011 »

ok.....really stupid one -

have been here since 2011, but now im having to sell my bike soooo can i please be a member still??!

please please please.... =))
The only dangerous nut is the one in the seat :s
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Yep, don't need a Bike or be even able to ride to be on here or take part in banter or socials.

Kind of need one for rideouts and track time though.
KTM 990 superduke R,