re tapping sump plug thread???

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

re tapping sump plug thread???

Post by Red5 »

Basic oil and filter change on a gsxr k4 and one pre stripped thread in the sump... how generous of the garage it was bought from.
Anybody have ideas of where they would or have previously taken a sump for welding and re threading?? The sump is off and ready to be taken somewhere.
:?
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Tigerxc
Learner Driver
First Name: Nigel

Re: re tapping sump plug thread???

Post by Tigerxc »

Hi not sure where you can take it, but you can get an heli-coil insert kit basically you drill the hole bigger and re-tap the new hole and wind the insert in normally comes in a kit with drill tap and insert tool. might be worth a look.
skippy
SWB Subscriber

Post by skippy »

Get a uni-thread kit from totnes...........simples.......done loads of em...........will text u the address as soon as i can find it............if your not happy doing it yourself, i will do it.
skippy
SWB Subscriber

Post by skippy »

Nick...............PM sent
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Nick if you want can have a look at the set at work,
What thread size is it in there already??
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Generally M18x1.5 I think ....... Though possibly 1.25 .......

Timeserts are generally better than helicoil in such a situation, IMHO, and I have one in the TL now ........

If the previous garage had stripped the thread, surely it would have been leaking oil?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Turns out it was a m14 thread in it, so was plenty of meat around it to re thread the sump slightly oversized.

Retapped it up to m15 thread and supplied nick with a new sump plug and copper washer to match!
(Things we do for friends hey nick!!)
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

yes i had the same with my Teapot , got a kit off ebay , 15mm tap and 6 plugs for about a tenner i think , bloody thing still kept dripping though , i PTFE tape and all sorts , in the end i put some wet and dry on a wooden block and cleaned the surface of the sump where the washer went and it sealed then
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Mighty fine Job. All sorted. Thank you sooooooooooo much, I'm soooo greatful to everyone rallying around for me at the moment.
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..