Rear View

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Rear View

Post by ptolemyx »

Broke a mirror on the Busa. Thinking about ditching the mirrors completely and installing a rear facing camera with monitor by the clocks - something like this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-5- ... SwOgdYyfXl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this sort of camera be suitable, field of vision is wide enough but do they have sufficient depth of field (near and far objects in focus) and is image quality up to the job? Anyone have one on their car/van please advise........
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Re: Rear View

Post by MellowYellow »

Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Nope, they are (or can be) truly awful.

First thing to make sure is that they are actually CCD and not CMOS, many Chinese sellers use the letters "CCD" as buyers expect to see that but the camera itself is CMOS.

CMOS cameras don't handle being wobbled, doing so makes the image ripple.

Next is the field of view/depth of view...
Our eyes are awesome... mirrors allow us to use these and give so much more detailed vision.
Any cheap camera used with small screen will show you about 10% of what your eye can see in an average mirror.
If the sun is behind you('ish) and at a low position it will light up camera and effectively disable it.

I have 2 CCD cameras in the rear window (in my campervan) and one small colour TFT LCD screen in the sun visor, and they are not a patch on my door mirror. They are good for when reversing, great for when I have a trailer on and good for keeping an eye on your bike on a trailer... but just not a replacement for a mirror.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

We have rear view cameras on all our Aritc trailers with a 7 inch monitor in the cab , and TBH they are ok for reversing and manouveriong but no replacement for mirrors on the open road , they tend to flicker and jump and you cannt really make out what is behind you like in a mirror
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Thanks guys for putting me off that awful idea :roll: - replacement mirror on it's way 8)
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Also when the sun is shining on the camera it is next to useless
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson