New Odometer

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
thebish
Learner Driver

New Odometer

Post by thebish »

The speedo unit on my Er5 recently stopped working (it wasn't either of the cheap options - the cable or the servo) - so I had to source a set of clocks from a breakers yard. I fitted them (swapped over the casings cos mine were better) - but essentially installed the complete unit as is - and they work fine (speedo-speed matches sat-nav speed near-enough!)

My question is about the odometer. The odometer on the new set reads about 13,000 miles fewer than my original set.

What do I need to do about this? Is it a problem I need to address, or is it just an issue where I need to show documentation (photos?) and provide full disclosure if/when I sell it - or will this be a problem at any other time - eg. MOT?

I'd appreciate some guidance! :-@
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: New Odometer

Post by billinom8s »

mot records will show the genuine mileage but personally i would have made a note of the current figure and mae a note in my records.

where i used to work we had to replace whole speedo units fairly often and had a sticker made up that would get put on the back of the new one to say the engine mileage and the date of the new speedo unit.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

The interesting bit is I don’t think there is any law governing it. However your MOTs record the previous 5 years mileage so going to be obvious it has gone backwards so suggest you keep everything for when you come to sell it so the new owner knows it’s done due to all of the correct intentions.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I'd just make a note of the date & mileage that it was changed at and record that in the service book or somewhere.
I wouldn't bother getting the new speedo updated to reflect the real mileage.
Just keep as much proof as possible for when you come to sell.
There won't be any issue at MOT time.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
thebish
Learner Driver

Post by thebish »

thanks to you all! :-bd
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Replaced the one in my focus nobody asked any questions at mot test and that was 5 years ago 👍👍👍👍
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

I had to replace the speedo on my xj600. When i look on vehicle smart the mot mileage is recorded back to 2006 (info from dvla or whichever govt dept keeps the records) it is obvious and highlighted as a discrepancy but not an issue. No need to do anything.
thebish
Learner Driver

Post by thebish »

thanks! :D
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Nov 20th, '18, 17:16 I'd just make a note of the date & mileage that it was changed at and record that in the service book or somewhere.
I wouldn't bother getting the new speedo updated to reflect the real mileage.
Just keep as much proof as possible for when you come to sell.
There won't be any issue at MOT time.
'Updating a speedo'....I'm fairly sure that bit IS illegal (tampering with odometer?) and I'd be interested to know the legal implications from the MOT history POV too...? ie, do you HAVE to provide evidence that its been changed?
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Smiler wrote: Nov 24th, '18, 08:58 'Updating a speedo'....I'm fairly sure that bit IS illegal (tampering with odometer?) and I'd be interested to know the legal implications from the MOT history POV too...? ie, do you HAVE to provide evidence that its been changed?
Do have any links to any info this is the case?

Tampering in the legal sense does not simply mean adjusting it. If you reduce the mileage to make a gain on the sale then that is fraud.
If you have the odo adjusted to reflect the real mileage you are complying with the law.
If you don't have it adjusted but declare the mileage not to be correct you are also complying with the law.

MOT mileage history;
On the history for my DRZ it gains steady over the years and suddenly drops back to 250 miles. Reason for this is I changed to speedo for a digital one (with correct mileage) and the tester miss read it. So that trimmed 11,000 miles off and nothing was said.
MOT doesn't care about mileage, it just gets recorded.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.