How to stop tailpipes seizing?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

How to stop tailpipes seizing?

Post by Jug »

After just spending my afternoon convincing one of my Akra's to part from the 'Y' pipe..., is there anything I can do upon reassemble to prevent this in the future?

I was thinking of cleaning and maybe sanding both mating surfaces. Could also use a little copper grease.
I also have some posh Nickel loaded anti-seize paste.

TBH though I'm erring on side of dry reassembly and just removing them annually for a good cleanup.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: How to stop tailpipes seizing?

Post by Ruffian »

Is it stainless or titanium exhaust?
Sometimes I end up just warming the exhaust joint with a blow torch to expand the outer slightly.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

That'll be the exhaust assembly paste that's there to stop leaks doing it's other pain in the butt job of welding the exhaust sections together. The Ti system on my B-King needed the blowtorch to disassemble - like wot Ian said
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Ruffian wrote: Jul 15th, '19, 21:40 Is it stainless or titanium exhaust?
Sometimes I end up just warming the exhaust joint with a blow torch to expand the outer slightly.
Stainless pipes I think.
I did try heating the joint but had no effect.
ptolemyx wrote: Jul 16th, '19, 04:43 That'll be the exhaust assembly paste that's there to stop leaks doing it's other pain in the butt job of welding the exhaust sections together. The Ti system on my B-King needed the blowtorch to disassemble - like wot Ian said
I'm not sure there was any, but there was some brown powder that came out. I assumed that was just years of built up dirt & carbon.
I think it's just a slide in interference fit (it has a spring and a clamp), and the pipe looks to have galled against the silencer.

The real tricky bit about this was... everything.. :)):
The tailpipes are very light and thus feel thin & fragile. They are riveted sections so pulling and tilting the body just moves the outer sleeve wrt to the end face. Even the end face that mates with the 'Y' is thin and flexes.

I had previously tried to remove this stuck one when the exhaust was fully mounted - no joy with pulling & wiggling it and there is no access to try anything else.
With the pipe off the bike you struggle to keep it still without damaging it, plus twisting force isn't translated into the joint so you're limited as to what you can do.
In the end I used a thin table knife and drove that in to open up the clamp sleeve, then used a hammer through screwdriver to move the silencer away from the 'Y' piece.

I was a bit of a faff but I got there in the end.
The other side that had been removed previously slipped straight off, so I think as long as I do this every year or two there'll be no further issues.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Admire your perseverance. I'd be tempted to throw that exhaust in the broken toy box :roll:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

You could try a high temp anti-seize compound like this ....

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/lubricants- ... ZT1037142X
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away