Advice Needed - New Helmet

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
GSgal
Learner Driver
First Name: Sally

Advice Needed - New Helmet

Post by GSgal »

Hey all, I'm getting back in the saddle after a few years off. I decided to stop lurking and join in. I've been doing a bit of research for a new helmet and came across this guide: https://bikerrated.com/sharp-5-star-rated-helmets/ - do you guys worry about SHARP ratings? I seem to remember an ACU sticker was all you needed when I last bought a lid but should I get a 5-star rated one this time?
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Advice Needed - New Helmet

Post by Jug »

Hi Sally & welcome.

I don't pay particular attention to the SHARP rating, in this country any helmet for sale from a reputable company will be safe enough for me.
I just tend to go for a half decent one that is in a sale somewhere, likely an outgoing model or colour.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Whilst I pay attention to SHARP scores, they're not the be-all and end-all.

A helmet from a reputable manufacturer, with a proven track record, that is sized and fitted correctly is priority one for me.

Decent visor size, quietness, removable/replaceable padding, a good choice of shell sizes, weight, etc., also have a bearing on choice.

You don't say where you are, but I'd suggest going somewhere like J&S or GT (Plymouth), Bridge or CMS (Exeter), Helmet City (West Bay) where they will have a decent selection in a variety of sizes. Try on plenty, take their advice on fitment, make up your own mind....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I have to say that my starting point is the sharp rating and anything lower then a 4 star will not be going on my head. But after that making sure that it’s a good fit and is comfortable it absolutely key.... for example AGV 5 star helmets are great but they don’t fit my head where as a x-lite helmet that’s 4 star fits very well and is multi composite fibres on the outer shell and has an inbuilt drop down aviator style sun visor which works very well.

So need to got and try some and see which ones you like. Moose has given you the places to go on the post above
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

As has been said you need to be able to try different lids on, I have a Medium Shoei shaped head tried a medium Arai and was having headaches within 10 minutes, I am on my 3rd Shoei NXR now, quiet,comfortable and meets, exceeds all safety standards, if you can wait til November motorcycle live is at the NEC chance to try on lots of different manufacturers lids and maybe grab a bargain
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

i was only concerned that mine had the gold acu sticker on it. buying a shark lid i knew that the quality was going to be there, like everyone else has stated - need to try them on.

could tick all the boxes for you but if it doesn't fit it's just an expensive ornament and you won't get out and ride your bike as the lid hurts.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Try loads, you'll be able to narrow it down to 2 or 3 makes in no time. I have an Arai shaped head but they don't do a flip front so that's out. Shoei do an excellent flip (the Neotec) but it hurts my forehead. I had a Nolan which is supposedly the same as an X Lite but the carbon version has a different internal sun visor as the Nolan..... So after 2 months of trying different ones I've got the same again!
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

Helmet City in Cheddar are really really good to help you find one that fits properly and will order in things if not quite right.
I’d personally never buy a ‘budget’ brand.

HJC RPHA 11 for me but have to have XS cheek pads in a S lid as the XS lid is to small and S lid is too big....the 2 together and sorted, that’s how awkward I am when buy them 😂 They seem to crash well too 🙈
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Mr Tuscan »

I’ve got a Caberg flip helmet mines 4* but they all seem to vary
Very comfy I went for the Droid version but I get annoyed that the sun visor flip lever is directly on top of the helmet, the last place my hand should be when riding down the road, all bar that it’s lovely
76953F9C-9565-470D-BE6D-79DB6260EB12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

MikeZ
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

As said above, any decent make that fits properly. If your helmet doesn't fit then it doesn't work properly. Imagine if you're wearing a sloppy lid, when your helmet hits the deck at 50mph, then your head hits the inside of the lid at 50mph.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

helmets ? my mate Pete 1965 royal marines display team in the USA
triumph.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

Best advice is make sure it fits regardless of make.
Then spend how much you like on the one that floats your boat.
GSgal
Learner Driver
First Name: Sally

Post by GSgal »

Thanks for your posts, that's super helpful
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

billinom8s wrote: Sep 13th, '19, 21:05 i was only concerned that mine had the gold acu sticker on it.
I have had 3 x-lite helmets all of them have a 4 star sharp rating however none of them ever come with the ACU sticker. Amazed I have managed to use them on track and don’t get stopped. ^#(^ :-ss
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

I use Sharps as a guide. Also use Shark lids. Used to use Arai but got a life and found there are better, quieter and cheaper options. As long as the fit is good and rated good then not too biased.
Running on MT