Phase One Endurance GSXR replica

Moderator: Staff

Phase One Endurance GSXR replica

Postby scooby601 » Aug 11th, '17, 19:02

Got a nice little project on the go at the moment for a customer, only issue is I'm not too sure if I'll want to hand it over when finished!!

I've long been a fan of the Phase One GSXR, may have noticed I've a soft spot for the old SRAD's??

I'll not go into what the original bike has on/in it as its only a look alike we are doing, but suffice to say its a proper bit of kit, angry sounding doesn't do it justice!!

This is what we are aiming for

The mudguard, tank and seat unit were supplied to me. Seat unit needed a repair before going off for paint after an off last year on track. The upper and lower fairing area being made, as usual with the gel coat pre-coloured, the other parts painted to match the colours exactly.

An addition to the services on offer is decals (more on them to follow) so I've got the tank back from paint and all stickerd up (bar the MRS decal that is still to be found/made). White and red are paint as in the first pic, the rest is vinyl.

Once complete also will be fitting an air tray and tube combo to the bike so a re-map will be required to make use of the extra air volume we can push into the engine.
scooby601
Learner Driver

Re: Phase One Endurance GSXR replica

Postby layne » Aug 11th, '17, 20:14

I worked on that bike back in the day.

so you know it's been rebuilt with a full factory motor (except for 2nd gear)?

Do you have the Suzuka seat unit too?
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
layne
Learner Driver

Postby scooby601 » Aug 11th, '17, 20:25

didn't know about the second gear, no! May know someone who has one....

Its not out of a skip at Suzuka but a copy with the light recess. At a guess done by the place that did all of the kits for Crescent. The work involved in the actual bike is unreal! You didn't have the job of milling the back of the rear lens covers did you??
scooby601
Learner Driver

Postby layne » Aug 11th, '17, 20:45

It's a kit box though.

Sorry no I didn't do the seat units.
layne
Learner Driver

Postby TLS-Moose » Aug 13th, '17, 19:29

Layne, I got the impression that this bike has been no nearer Phase One than my lawn mower? It's a replica rather than an actual Phase One bike?

Personally I've always liked the ZXR750 ......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away

TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Postby layne » Aug 13th, '17, 20:52

Yes it is one and still has the scrutineering stickers on frame (may even be Suzuka). The photo is taken in the workshop.
Dunlop had it a few years ago on their centre piece stand for world championship cars and bikes at the Festival of Speed.
Foggy rebuilt one of them more recently with SBK engine.

N.B. Just to qualify myself, we had a couple of bikes back then. Russ did buy one back and we held onto one. A sponsor or 2 had one and a couple of team members had some stuff to from memory. Being Endurance as well as Russ being a hoarder so we had a lot of kit. I think Scotty will remember more from back then.
layne
Learner Driver

Postby Scotty » Aug 14th, '17, 08:31

Interesting thread, is Scooby just doing the bodywork, or the whole bike? My mate Ali bought one of the 2000 WEC championship bikes from our former sponsor Andrew Holyoak, it's the full monty with kit engine and gearbox, Ohlins front and rear etc... it's a much more demanding bike to ride than the '98 SRAD that he had previously, and works best towards the upper end of the speed spectrum, at the kind of velocities it did in the hands of Messrs Linden, Mertens and Nowland. Ali has two sets of bodywork for it; the regular M&P livery as in the photo and a Repsol set used at Suzuka that year.
I'd be interested to know the spec of the bike that Scooby's working on...
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Scotty
Learner Driver

Postby layne » Aug 14th, '17, 13:37

Thanks Scotty. New you would chip-in. Thought it was Ali and Andrew. Was just coming back to update my message.
:-bd
layne
Learner Driver

Return to CBC Motorcycles