KTM Superduke ECU Flash

Moderator: Staff

scooby601
Learner Driver

KTM Superduke ECU Flash

Post by scooby601 »

Few shots from Simon's bike on the dyno.

Removed the O2 sensors and blanked them off, turned off in the ecu too so no fault codes on the dash. The Akrapovic down pipes are a really nice touch on the bike, usually on OE headers you have to open out the lambda hole to get the sensor to fit.

Pile of bits removed from the bike, would have been easier to chop the tubes but persevered and got them out intact just incase they are ever wanted to be re-fitted.

The laptop connected up to the bike to make changes and the dyno to the screen to see what needs to be changed.

Simon couldn't handle the power so it was turned down............. ;)

Once all done I had a little "ride" around on the dyno, different gears with different load applied by the dyno to make sure in real life the bike acts as it should do when being used in the real world.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: KTM Superduke ECU Flash

Post by Scotty »

Out of curiosity Chris, did you have a fight to refit the fuel tank? They're buggers for expanding so that the front bolt hole no longer aligns with the threaded hole behind the headstock. One of the simple pleasures of owning a SuperDuke, I believe that owners of Italian bikes and old Brit iron excuse it as "character". It just frustrates me to wonder why KTM couldn't make a tank like the one on my WR250 that always fits straight back on regardless of the ambient temperature or how much fuel it contains.... X(
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

My 950 tank is about 3/4 inch out now.Right pain to get on. Not just KTM's, but Ducatis and loads of other stuff with plastic tanks. Ethanol is the cause!

Extra 40cc and fuel injection= 8 horses over and above my SM950.
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Absalute pain in the ass, yes!!

They are even worse when warm as they expand even more! Simon's did nearly get the dremel treatment :)):

The front block off plate was also fun, made all the more pleasurable by having run the bike up too see what it was stock. would have been nice if it was the winter to keep my knuckles warm.......

Having said that the engineering on the whole bike is really good IMHO, every sensor and connector having a bracket to attach too or routed behind something to hold everything neatly.
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

scorcher wrote:My 950 tank is about 3/4 inch out now.Right pain to get on. Not just KTM's, but Ducatis and loads of other stuff with plastic tanks. Ethanol is the cause!

Extra 40cc and fuel injection= 8 horses over and above my SM950.
Correct. My Ducati 1098SF tank has swollen. Or rather lengthened. The filler cap fits fine, there's no distortion and its fuel tight but the main bolt hole at the back of the tank is now overshoots the bracket by nearly a hole's width.
The bracket which the tank attaches to can be removed form the frame and it has a captive nut on the back so I can cut off the nut, elongate the hole and re-weld the nut. In its original position the elongation has forced thetank forward so that the front fouls on the steering damper arm on the top yoke and the carbon key surround panel no longer lines up with the holes. I had to file them out.
I wonder how much more is the tank likely to grow? Do they just keep going? I run all my bikes on high octane fuel 90% of the time unless caught short where the isn't any but it doesn't seem to have helped.. Touch wood, the SMT is OK but my new 1290 SDR also has a plastic tank. Are new bikes still susceptible to this problem?
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

scooby601 wrote:Absalute pain in the ass, yes!!

They are even worse when warm as they expand even more! Simon's did nearly get the dremel treatment :)):

The front block off plate was also fun, made all the more pleasurable by having run the bike up too see what it was stock. would have been nice if it was the winter to keep my knuckles warm.......

Having said that the engineering on the whole bike is really good IMHO, every sensor and connector having a bracket to attach too or routed behind something to hold everything neatly.

Shame it's the single seat model, I used to run a ratchet strap through the rear foot-rests & around the front of the tank & tighten everything into line.

Can't remember a problem putting the from SAS blanking plate on but mine had 8mm head bolts rather than the torx ones - not sure what Simons had, and mine was done cold.

The fit & finish shows there competition heritage, light as possible were strengthen didn't matter - look at the wiring. But well put together where strength is needed. I ran mine for 10 years and it still cleaned up, quite easily every time.